PDA

View Full Version : Shifter help!

HondaRacing83
08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
So I'm havin some shifter issues. Last week I was at my buddys house ridin and was getting ready to hit this monster hill and went to down shift and it didnt shift the shifter just slid way off the splines and was pointing down ward to where i couldnt get the toe of my riding boots under it so I was left stranded in the middle of this hill stalled out and had to get pulled out so i nursed it back to his house and ground a little bit out of the shifter so the screw could tighten more. The shafts a little worn. After i did that it still slipped down. So i took a little more out and tightened it back down and moved a little more to the back of the shaft where the splines are a little better. I left after that and havnt rode it yet besides around the yard and it hasnt gave yet. But this weekend i planned on going riding back there again and dont want it to mess up again and ruin my riding. What can I do to make sure it doesnt give. I dont have the money or time to buy a new shifter so can someone help me out

Mtndew99
08-20-2013, 05:01 PM
If its just the shifter that's wore out just buy a new one there not expensive I think it's like 9 dollars for a new one or you could weld it to the shaft but eventually you'll have to tear apart the motor to fix it then

CJM
08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Might as well weld it to the shaft for now as your gonna need both a shifter and shift shaft sooner or later.

HondaRacing83
08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Ahhh man you have to split the cases to change the shaft dont you :( i dont really wanna weld it. my dealer wont have one in stock im sure and itll take a week to get and im riding in like 3days

Mtndew99
08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Put some red loctited on it basically drowned it and put the shifter on and crank it down but don't strip the bolt out put make it really tight and hope for the best of luck it don't break loose

JOHNDOE83
08-20-2013, 07:16 PM
A junk yard that has motorcycles might have one that fits.

We have alot of cycle salvage places around here also, you might wanna google search cycle or atv salvage in your area.

But if the splines on the shaft are worn out then youll need to weld it for now if you wanna ride, youll be replacing the shaft and the lever anyway at that point.

Stickman400
08-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Weld it. You won't hurt it by doing that, just put a couple good tack welds on it and it'll last a good long while until you can get a new shifter or shifter and shaft if you need it. All you need to do is grind the tacks off and it'll be just like nothing happened.

HondaRacing83
08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Theres a bunk xr100 back in my woods, i could go snag the shifter off it if itll work, would it? Man I just really dont wanna split the cases. The shafts not completely stripped. Its a little worn up front of the shaft but better in the back

ben300
08-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Theres a bunk xr100 back in my woods, i could go snag the shifter off it if itll work, would it? Man I just really dont wanna split the cases. The shafts not completely stripped. Its a little worn up front of the shaft but better in the back

just do it brandon...it'll be a good learning experience for ya. the more you learn how to do yourself, the less you'll have to pay some one up at street track & ripoff's to do for ya

KKiowaTJ
08-21-2013, 11:03 AM
XR parts usually swap around, But might be a little too short. Is the splines on the shift shat itself bad or the shifter? Either way you can be riding, Couple tack welds or swap a shifter.
If you are going on a ride away from you're area, Call shops on the way and ask them if they have one or one that will work. Wont be out of the way and its the right way to fix it.

HondaRacing83
08-21-2013, 11:41 AM
just do it brandon...it'll be a good learning experience for ya. the more you learn how to do yourself, the less you'll have to pay some one up at street track & ripoff's to do for ya

Your obviously familiar with stn&t.. hahah. They get a bad rep because of the tards working for them! I get 15% off all parts there. The people that own it (the lepleys) are probably the nicest people youll ever meet. I personally know them. My dad grew up with the overall owners son and rode dirtbikes with him alot back in the day. Last year I took my quad out to the lepleys house out back behind stnt and dave adjusted my valves for free 7pm on a tuesday night. They are really nice people. They just have some idiots working for them. I mean it forsure helps kniwing the right people.