PDA

View Full Version : Racers Edge Headwork

Cschool211
08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone using Racers Edge porting? I have an 04 TRX450R MX setup and thinking about sending my head to them.

chronicsmoke
08-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Anyone using Racers Edge porting? I have an 04 TRX450R MX setup and thinking about sending my head to them.

They are one of the best in the business.. Many,many,many guys on trx450r.org are using them and there is all kinds of threads about them too.

Baileygunns
08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I have an 06 racers edge head and love it. Give John a call and tell him what you're looking for and what you're goals are. He'll get you all set up and explain everything to you. If you're lookin for something he doesn't offer, he'll tell you and not try to sell you on something else. Straight shooter and a pleasure to deal with!

** http://www.racersedgeaz.com/

ghott
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
From one good ole WV boy to another: John at Racer's Edge will NOT do you wrong. They are awesome people to deal with.

2001400exrida
08-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I don't personally have an RE head, but i hear about them on the forums more than anything. It's usually the same guys (the ones who have posted) that recommend the work so much. These guys are on all the forums preaching RE, so that goes to show you that RE must do great work (or else these guys wouldn't constantly recommend the work). The question is, what kind of motors do these guys run? and how many hours have they put on their RE motors? Call John, but don't limit yourself to just one shop, there are so many builders that don't get exposed on the forums because many racers and builders just simply aren't on the forums. In fact, i find that most of the people i see out racing and talking tech with aren't on the forums sharing their builders and what not. The good guys are at the track! Check your local race scene or talk to some racers and see what they like best.

The main thing is to realize that what you will see recommended on the forums is only a tiny fragment of the actual companies out there building motors, so keep your options open and go with who you feel will do the best.

As mentioned many guys on trx450r.org are using them, but there's also many guys on trx450r.org that don't post at all, they just browse (there's only about 20 guys that post regularly and non stop on that forum). There's tons of guys in the real world who have work done by builders such as venom, Rage, Jay Riddle, motoxperts, CT racing, Duncan, Baldwin, Sparks, York Racing....etc and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

also lots of builders will want to cut the valve guides which is many cases is not needed.

alanbmx
08-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I don't personally have an RE head, but i hear about them on the forums more than anything. It's usually the same guys (the ones who have posted) that recommend the work so much. These guys are on all the forums preaching RE, so that goes to show you that RE must do great work (or else these guys wouldn't constantly recommend the work). The question is, what kind of motors do these guys run? and how many hours have they put on their RE motors? Call John, but don't limit yourself to just one shop, there are so many builders that don't get exposed on the forums because many racers and builders just simply aren't on the forums. In fact, i find that most of the people i see out racing and talking tech with aren't on the forums sharing their builders and what not. The good guys are at the track! Check your local race scene or talk to some racers and see what they like best.

The main thing is to realize that what you will see recommended on the forums is only a tiny fragment of the actual companies out there building motors, so keep your options open and go with who you feel will do the best.

As mentioned many guys on trx450r.org are using them, but there's also many guys on trx450r.org that don't post at all, they just browse (there's only about 20 guys that post regularly and non stop on that forum). There's tons of guys in the real world who have work done by builders such as venom, Rage, Jay Riddle, motoxperts, CT racing, Duncan, Baldwin, Sparks, York Racing....etc and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

also lots of builders will want to cut the valve guides which is many cases is not needed.

thanks for the insight genius:rolleyes:

2001400exrida
08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
thanks for the insight genious:rolleyes:

says the guy who can't spell the word genius.....pot....kettle.....black?

Baileygunns
08-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Hey 2001400exrida, maybe you could share some insight on who did your head and how many hours are on it?? I'm sure the OP would love to hear about what kind of work was done for you, who did it and what gains you have seen....

You seem so knowledgable on the subject.. You do have some head work done right?

alanbmx
08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
says the guy who can't spell the word genius.....pot....kettle.....black?

there I edited it, learned that trick somewhere :bandit:

CJM
08-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Racers edge will not do you wrong. I have heard much good feedback about them and I almost used their services, but John explained for what I wanted he just doesnt do that type of work. I still will give him a call when it comes to rebuild my setup however b/c he was willing to custom mill me a piston (lower comp ratio) as well as anything else I asked. I honestly have nothing bad to say about about RE.

As for who to choose to do headwork and such: I called around and spoke to CT (seemed ok), Rage (felt they were $$$) and Dynomite. I went with Dynomite b/c of price as well as the fact he really is a personable kinda guy (his shop is a one man band). I was quite happy with the service and am SUPER happy with how it turned out.

Anyways, so long as you pick one of the top guys you cant go wrong. Me Id use RE or Dynomite myself.

2001400exrida
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Hey 2001400exrida, maybe you could share some insight on who did your head and how many hours are on it?? I'm sure the OP would love to hear about what kind of work was done for you, who did it and what gains you have seen....

You seem so knowledgable on the subject.. You do have some head work done right?

my yfz has a venom head, i am more than happy with that head especially for trail use which is all i do with that quad. Venom does some of the best work in the business and he's been doing it for a long time. Venom also has many pro and pro am riders in the EDT circuit that run his port work.

2 of my 400ex's got headwork. The guys name is John Little, but he is no longer in business. For my 426 we saw a 5hp gain on the dyno which ain't bad for a 400 and a local builder.

It was not my intention to give experience on other builders since this thread was started asking about Racers Edge, i just wanted the OP to at least explore several options and then make his own decision.

Venom will be getting my trx head in the off season because i'm so glad with his work, he is also a one man band. But this thread wasn't started for me to talk or advertise my head work experience, it was started in question about RE. I posted a response only to offer the original poster the opportunity to look at the other builders and at least consider them.

Baileygunns
08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
So both the "builders" that did heads for you are no longer in business? Or is Venom back in business? Its so hard to keep track of that little rascal... lol

CJM
08-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Yea, last I recall venom was outta biz...but that seems to change every few months. In biz, outta biz, only he knows for sure.

2001400exrida
08-27-2013, 05:58 PM
So both the "builders" that did heads for you are no longer in business? Or is Venom back in business? Its so hard to keep track of that little rascal... lol

He still does work. If I'm not mistaken he's a sponsor on central. John is not in it for the money at venom. He has a day job. He has always done it for the sport which is why his prices are good and his work is good.

Baileygunns
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
You said it yourself... "good"

2001400exrida
08-27-2013, 07:11 PM
I see a lot of mixxer and venom trash talk but I have yet to find somebody who isn't happy with the work including myself. Literally the only place i see negativity towards venom is on the interwebz.

fmfhonda250r
08-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I have a RE head on one mx bike and works great. I also have a demon industries head on another that works amazing. Demon or RE would be my choice.