PDA

View Full Version : Noise by back axle

mad4106
08-14-2013, 08:23 PM
I was riding my 450r with my friends and after the ride I washed and clean like I do, when I rolled it forward it makes a grinding popping noise by the axle like when it rolls every revolution what could this be?

Thumpin440ex
08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Sounds like the bearings in the carrier is shot.

John

mad4106
08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Is this a major problem and is it hard to change?

Thumpin440ex
08-14-2013, 08:58 PM
If you can get your axle and axle nut loos and off, then no it isn't. But you will most likely need a new carrier. Not for certain, but possibly. about 110$ fix for a new carrier and bearings.

john

OZ-T
08-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Not sure how the rear ends on the 450r's are, but when I did it on a friend's 400EX it was easy. There is a tutorial video for the 400EX on youtube and I am sure there has to be one for the 450 somewhere also.

Don't get too carried away with the bearings right away, though. Check your rear sprocket out first, if the teeth are warped and laid over it will cause the chain to not grab properly and it will slip causing popping, clicking, and sometimes banging noises.

EDIT: Here's that tutorial video for the 400EX I was talking about. There must be one for the 450R somewhere on YT if you look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op7RNNY1eYk

2001400exrida
08-15-2013, 08:27 AM
here's a great video that will walk you right through it. many guys can't get the brake rotor lose from the axle and they start swinging hammers at it. use the wood method like in the video and it will pop right off. otherwise you'll destroy the rotor and more if you just go pounding like some guys do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJayZXps28

JOHNDOE83
08-15-2013, 09:13 AM
It could be the sproket, it could be the chain, it could be the bearings, it could be the brake.

For the carrier and bearings, I dont know how a carrier could get ruined unless it actually cracked or got worn out of round, but the cheap fix for bearings is to take your old bearing to a bearing supply store in your area, I think I bought a complete set of carrier bearings for $14.

The chain and sproket will grind and make noise if the chain needs lubed, if its grinding like that in a certain spot it most likely needs replaced.

If the sproket is worn and curled over slightly this will also happen.

This might sound odd and dumb, my quad if it sits for awhile will have a hard time rolling like its stiff, if I wd40 the brake rotor everything glides like butter when you push it, brakes still work fine and doesnt hurt anything, not the best fix it but it works.

Lube the chain see if it goes away, if it does new chain and new sprokets are needed, if it still does it check bearings....etc.

DragonGunner
08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Its probably dirt in your brake caliper, or a slightly bent brake rotor or both. To check your carrier bearings after a good ride touch carefully the swing arm where the carrier is....if its hot, they are shot. Or jack up on a stand and see if you have play up and down with your axle by grabbing the axle and tugging up and down on both sides of the carrier.

2001400exrida
08-15-2013, 10:00 AM
For the carrier and bearings, I dont know how a carrier could get ruined unless it actually cracked or got worn out of round,

running bad bearings will trash a carrier in no time, it can also trash the axle. Best thing to do is as soon as you see play in the rear axle, get those bearings replaced.

I would check for play in the rear axle, if you have play you need new bearings at the very least.

OZ-T
08-15-2013, 10:26 PM
here's a great video that will walk you right through it. many guys can't get the brake rotor lose from the axle and they start swinging hammers at it. use the wood method like in the video and it will pop right off. otherwise you'll destroy the rotor and more if you just go pounding like some guys do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJayZXps28

A rubber mallet also works well for getting those off. Just leave the brake disc on and deliver firm taps around the circumference of the rotor until the hub assembly works loose and pull it off. I know, I was one of those "many guys" that had to learn the hard way on that one. Made the mistake of taking the rotor off, and trying to get the hub off with a hammer and broke all 4 of the ears off and then was totally screwed from then on. Nothing like trial and error, that's the only way I've really learned anything throughout my life it seems.

mad4106
08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
A rubber mallet also works well for getting those off. Just leave the brake disc on and deliver firm taps around the circumference of the rotor until the hub assembly works loose and pull it off. I know, I was one of those "many guys" that had to learn the hard way on that one. Made the mistake of taking the rotor off, and trying to get the hub off with a hammer and broke all 4 of the ears off and then was totally screwed from then on. Nothing like trial and error, that's the only way I've really learned anything throughout my life it seems.. Thanks guys ima look at it when I have time

dwb_style
08-27-2013, 08:03 PM
its most likely the bearings. hopefully your carrier is still good and the bearings are still intact. ive changed them numerous time in my 450 and all them were completely gone. I was lucky enough that it didn't ruin the carrier the first couple sets. eventually I had to replace the axle and carrier. just get them changed before you ride again. could save you some money. if the bearings are completely shredded then they will be rough getting out. good luck

cheater13
08-30-2013, 10:13 AM
I had bearings go out 2 times on me before. Then I got a Lonestar carrier and it's been good the past year or so.

Go out and get on blacktop or the road and drive it. If the back end seems like it is steering in the opposite direction as the front end, its the carrier bearings.

It's a pretty scary feeling. :p