PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Suggestions for a New Exhaust

cheater13
08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I know this has been brought up alot of times, but i need something that is the best for my setup. I'm trying to do everything I can for power gains besides boring it.

My next thing to do on the ol 400ex is to replace my old FMF Titanium 4 slip on. I have the powerbomb header paired with it and love how it sounds, but on the top there is holes and slits that the packing comes out of. I just have it wrapped in insulating tape right now.

What would be a good flowing/kind of loud exhaust to get? I like how this Titanium 4 sounds and would like to get another good condition one, but they stopped making them awhile back. I like how it's kind of quiet until you mash on it and then it's loud.

I've been searching and it seems like most people run HMF or Motoworks. I need something that will match right up to the powerbomb header. Curtis Sparks maybe?

I would hollow mine out since that'll be the best way to get the flow I want and just rejet it, but it needs to be noise appropriate for the neighbors too because I field ride and drag race it. :p

JOHNDOE83
08-14-2013, 01:03 PM
In my opinion the best exhaust "slipon" out there is a basic round long design cut down into a shorty and hollowed out.

You already got the good header and good jetting, get a cheap decent looking slipon that fits the header and hollow it out, I like to use the slipon for riding and tunning and goofing around the neighborhood then take it off when im drag racing.

Or find a shorty and hollow it out.

should be a good improvement!

cheater13
08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
That's what I'm looking for if it gives me good improvements then!

The only thing is that I don't want to have to keep taking it on and off when I drag race and just field ride because I'll have to keep rejetting wouldn't I? I can do it with my eyes closed since I did it so many times, but I think it's a pain.

How loud would a pipe be if it's hollowed out? I'd assume pretty dang loud. :P

What's the closest pipe with about the same airflow as a hollowed out pipe?

Thumpin440ex
08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Buy a used HMF and make it a shorty or leave it long. HMF is IMO the best quality made, best looking can out there. I love them. The build quality is top of the line.

I love mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl7FbWb9CEw
John

cheater13
08-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Can if fit right up to the powerbomb header? I liked HMF too, but is it the most free flowing exhaust besides Sparks? Or does them motoworks slip ons have a bigger diameter?

Mtndew99
08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Find a used white brothers r4 in my opinion they flow good but for a slip on that your going to hollow out any slip on would work your not going to feel that half a horse power difference just pick what looks best

2001400exrida
08-15-2013, 12:24 PM
when you're talking about just slip ons, you really won't see much power gained by different brands. shortening it will open it up a little. Another good mod is to take the stock header off and grind down the welds, that helps open it up a little bit. Far as the best performing exhaust. The sparks full system is hard to beat.

400man
08-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Find a used white brothers r4 in my opinion they flow good but for a slip on that your going to hollow out any slip on would work your not going to feel that half a horse power difference just pick what looks best

that's what I run, but I have a full system (header and silencer). and I shortened it down a lot cause it had a huge dent from the brake caliper. I got it from a 400ex I bought last year. before I had a stock header and hmf slip on. I put the white bros exhaust on and I could tell a pretty noticeable difference in the throttle response and power, so I decided to keep it. heres a pic,

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/070_zpsb807c544.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/070_zpsb807c544.jpg.html)

cheater13
08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Them things are nearly impossible to find now adays though. I had one on my old Mojave 240 and loved it. I wouldn't mind findin another for my 400ex, but if I don't I guess i'll go HMF.

I'll buy yours off of you 400man. ;)