PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a dry filter on their 400?

Blackhawk7
08-14-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm currently running a K&N on my 400EX without any issues, however I have a larger trust in AEM dry filters in the automotive aspect. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting an AEM or similar dry style filter on their 400 or any ATV in general.

400man
08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm currently running a K&N on my 400EX without any issues, however I have a larger trust in AEM dry filters in the automotive aspect. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting an AEM or similar dry style filter on their 400 or any ATV in general.

pretty much the same as a k&n I guess? (had to google cause I didn't know what an AEM filter was). I know most people don't like k&n style filters because they can let dust though. ive always used foam filters with oil cause I ride in a lot of mud/water/dusty conditions sometimes.

cheater13
08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I had both K@N and UNI. Love both of them. My K@N filter came with the velocity intake and I run a prefilter on it.

A week or so I went mudding (which i'll never do again) and my fourwheeler was caked with mud. The filter didn't even have a speck on because of the prefilter. I also like UNI too since it's a lot easier to clean.

OZ-T
08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Never had and never will. Just can't bring myself to trust them no matter how hard I try. Like one of the above users noted, I too ride in a dusty, muddy, wet, and snowy areas so believe a foam filter is the way to go.

KKiowaTJ
08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Anther UNI/foam vote.
Great and filter out more while letter in more. In the auto world k&n sucks too and has silica that pass through and fine dust. I have always stuck with stock, Tru-Flo foam for auto's or if I have to, A knock off k&n auto with some type of outerwear.
I think the dry filter would restrict more than anything, Do its job, But a UNI will do both and cheaper.

Zakradu398
08-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Only UNI with oil here.

kt1148
08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
I like the No-Toil filter and oil. To me it's the easiest to clean

Blackhawk7
11-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Quick follow up, couldn't find an AEM that fits, however I did find an amsoil EA filter that fits perfectly as well as a volant filter (which is made by donaldson). The amsoil one is significantly cheaper so i'll probably test it against my current k&n using a UOA.

2001400exrida
11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
sounds scary to run a filter with no oil on these machines. i'm certain these dry filters are geared towards automotive street vehicles that don't see the dust, sand, and dirt that our machines often see.

johnbanghart
11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I run a twin air filter it works pretty well

KKiowaTJ
11-08-2013, 09:56 PM
IMO and for the ease of cleaning, Flow and reliability you cant beat $30 tops for the UNI and $X for a cleaning/oil kit. Yeah, A extra filter is good to have incase you are in sand all day, But a pre-filter with a tad of oil will be just as good.
You don't really need to buy a pre-filter unless you are vain and need a $25 dollar name brand one. I have a younger sister, In the old days, You use a pantyhose with a tad of oil. You can stretch it all the way on, When you need to, Just pull it toward the back for a fresh clean spot on the pre-filter. Check you air, 8/10 its still on the cleaner side with minimal dirt.