PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Bushing

shenry14
08-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Hello, my 02 400ex has quite a bit of play in the steering stem, I know the bushing is bad and you can replace them, but how? It doesn't look like there anyway to put them on? Thanks

Mtndew99
08-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Remove the Dust seal from the top and bottom don't worry about destroying them you get new ones with the steering stem bearing kit then remove the snapring it's on top and then I took a hammer and a punch and kept beating on it all around the bearing till it flew across the garage when it broke most likely if your steering stem has enough play your bearig will fall out when you remove te seals like mine did and then take some sand paper after the bearing is out and smooth out where the bearing slides in to make it easier and use a socket and hammer to knock it back in. There is other ways to do it but I just chose this way also I forgot I mention stand the quad up on the grab bar so it makes it easier I changed mine when it was just a bare frame

shenry14
08-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Remove the Dust seal from the top and bottom don't worry about destroying them you get new ones with the steering stem bearing kit then remove the snapring it's on top and then I took a hammer and a punch and kept beating on it all around the bearing till it flew across the garage when it broke most likely if your steering stem has enough play your bearig will fall out when you remove te seals like mine did and then take some sand paper after the bearing is out and smooth out where the bearing slides in to make it easier and use a socket and hammer to knock it back in. There is other ways to do it but I just chose this way also I forgot I mention stand the quad up on the grab bar so it makes it easier I changed mine when it was just a bare frame

Thanks man I appreciate it!