PDA

View Full Version : Whats this bike worth?

rf928
08-09-2013, 05:36 PM
2007 WR250F coming up in a farm auction, might be fun to bag around the farm :P

http://www.montgomeryauctions.com/upload/252/Aug%2010%20-%20july%2023%20014.jpg

From what we can tell it has 300 miles (around there, can't remember) and looks to be in alright condition, but the front forks are toast. Leaking oil like crazy and no rebound or compression, feels like they are full of sand. Other than that it seems alright, it wouldn't start, when it did it ran for about 10 seconds and died but seemed alright. Hard to tell from that though

Im thinking $1500 or less? Is that too much? Just looking for opinions

89trx250r
08-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Looks like a nice bike. The wr's are fun they are great trail bikes,The carb probably needs cleaned that's why it wont run right. I would guess if the forks feel like they have sand in them time to get them and the rear shock sent to be rebuilt. I dont know the bike market but the price seems fair?

KKiowaTJ
08-09-2013, 08:38 PM
If the forks are that bad, IMO look for a set of YZF ones on flea bay or whatever mm fork they are, Look up the best stock swap.
X2 on carb cleaning, Id also run the valves etc so its 100%.

With the flaws and you get it cheap enough, You will be able to get you're money back if you don't like it or a POS and part it out. Don't be that guy that pays a couple hundred under book though, Farm auctions can get that way. One weekend cheap then next paying new price for junk and sad thing is, They know it.

rf928
08-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah if I do get it I expect to tear the entire thing down to go through it all. Too bad I'm not 5 years younger, would make a cool hybrid :)

I have been reading all about the swaps between these and the yz's. Mind you if I get it cheap enough, I honestly have no idea. Like you say farm sales are insane, I saw a 100 hour swather be bid $15000 past new price. So yeah, thats always in the back of my mind. My highest price is gonna be $1500, depends if it starts. Dad joked and said we should flood it before the bid just to make it cheap XD

KKiowaTJ
08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
True, If it wont run, Not too many but the mechanical savvy will bid and they know when to call it quits. Put it on res and choke and filler her up to where it takes a big guy to get it on the right stroke lol.

I watched a tractor one weekend newer JD that the owner paid 100k for, Im not too big with model #'s, It sold with less than 1k hours for 19k. Same area and a week later, A rolled JD of the same model brought 15k. One day a guy gets a hell of a deal, Next they will re finance to drag and pull home junk that can buff out lol.

At least you know what you're up against, Hope ya get it cheap so it leaves more for fixing.

OZ-T
08-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd stay away from it if it was me. Take it from someone who lives in a big time agricultural state. Bikes and quads used on farms are abused pretty hard, most times they are used by the hired hands to check fence, herd cattle, and many other things and those guys don't give a rat's behind what they do to the machines. Lots of big farms around here buy up Honda Rancher atvs in fleets and the quads are completely worn out in 5 years or less. What you said about the forks being shot tells me that the bike was ridden pretty hard and jumped even harder. Just keep that in mind

rf928
08-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Went for $2500. Exactly as stated above, it could rin forever or blow up tomorrow. How much water has it taken in? Hope the dude knew what he was getting, he just kept bidding :P

300 miles and both seals are shot and forks are empty of oil. Who knows where it's been! Ahh well, next time :)

KKiowaTJ
08-11-2013, 10:37 AM
In my area, A 05+/- kx250f/crf250f with a new 290 kit and fresh suspension go for $2500. Wow... That guy must have been a dumbass. Oh well, Like mentioned farmers are hard on everything and ranch hands are worse, Not theirs.

blacknblue#2
08-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Went for $2500. Exactly as stated above, it could rin forever or blow up tomorrow. How much water has it taken in? Hope the dude knew what he was getting, he just kept bidding :P

300 miles and both seals are shot and forks are empty of oil. Who knows where it's been! Ahh well, next time :)

Obviously the dude dont know the market. or knew something we didnt. He coulda bought a running bike and rode it home for that price around here.