PDA

View Full Version : New user

tweeter
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm new to your forum. I'm also seriously considering buying an ATV for use at work (an option I have at my current assignment).
I'm an instructor in the army and I need to support student/candidate needs when we're out training.

My requirements are centered on utility.
I work in the desert and need to carry a 5-gallon water can (Scepter military-type), a folding litter (possibly another person in an emergency) and a medical backpack. Maybe add a smaller daypack for my own use, but I can wear that.

Reliability calls shotgun on this decision, everything else takes a back seat.

I've used a Polaris Sportsman 400 at work before, but that was in... 2005. It was also wholly supported by my unit, no idea about maintenance issues with the machines we used, if something broke we simply turned it in to get fixed.

I figure you guys are pretty experienced and I'm just trying to figure out what's out there that best fits my needs.

muddy400EX
08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
nothing beats honda for reliability. rancher, foreman etc. that would be my first first choice for a work utility

Mtndew99
08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Get a Honda foreman one of the most reliable quads I've ever owned there isn't much maintenance on them I've been running mine for 4 years and only had to change oil and cleaned the air filter

beastlywarrior
08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Good ol foreman

quad2xtreme
08-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Any chance of getting a SxS like a RZR?

beastlywarrior
08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Anything but I'd recommend a rhino first

quad2xtreme
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
RZR was just an example. If a SxS is a possibility, my next step would be to figure out who would be servicing when it does break and see what they are most comfortable with servicing, etc. Betting they have a better channel for parts from one manufacturer versus another. The name of the game is customer service and getting what can be fixed the quickest when it does break. You don't want to wait 3 months for parts.

I have my theory on why many say RZRs break more than the others. I ride the trails and see the difference. RZR drivers are flying around like they are on sport quads. All the others are driving around at a slower pace like they are on utility quads. :-)

tweeter
08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Any chance of getting a SxS like a RZR?

It's cost-prohibitive. This would be a personal vehicle authorized for use at work.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

tweeter
08-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Looking at a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO, AWD, EFI, winch, 500 miles, $3800

Nothing really jumped out at me as being out-of-order. Anything that I should look out for with this particular model?

quad2xtreme
08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't have personal experience but have read enough internet complaints to tell you to really do your due diligence and get solid feedback before buying into a Polaris that far back.

blacknblue#2
08-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't have personal experience but have read enough internet complaints to tell you to really do your due diligence and get solid feedback before buying into a Polaris that far back.

Agreed, if your looking into buying something that old look into a forman, a rubicon or a rincon. Stay away from polaris if you want jump on and go reliability. The thing that would scare me to death about a polaris in the desert is the belt. You get miles out in the desert and shred a belt your done, your walking. and a belt is a common wear part that can easily be destroyed out of nowhere by the simplest thing

KKiowaTJ
08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Money spent once on a Honda, Is money ahead. They hold their value best out of all, Most reliable, and were the first to build an indestructible 4x4 with-in reason, The fourtrax 300 4x4.

To each their own, I have owned all brands and even though I ride a 13 year old quad, I still keep up with or beat new technology and have just as much fun and reliability. If you can swing a SxS, Get a bobcat or Kubota that are heavy duty work geared machines. Just don't get a hydro block one, Pain in the *** and IMO gutless/worthless. Good luck either way

tweeter
08-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Agreed on due dilligence. I'm really doing my homework before putting down money, one of the reaons I'm in here asking questions.

tweeter
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the input all-around. I finally decided on a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO.
Picked it up last week, put five hours on it the first day at work... saved me a metric ton of work.

Thank you again for the feedback. Awesome forum by the way.