PDA

View Full Version : which big bore kit??

stroked300ex
03-17-2003, 03:15 PM
i have a 1998 300ex and i am ordering a big bore kit. I want either Hetrick racing, fourstroke tech, or IMS. Which big bore kit would yall pick by the way of reliability/horsepower/speed/torque increase? someone help me out.. later

03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
if i was u i would pick a engine builder and talk to him and go with everything he recomends, throwing a big bore kit in will help but getting everything to work good together is key, if u can do that u will have a fast reliable engine

Nausty
03-17-2003, 03:19 PM
you'll pry get a better answer in the powertrain forum...;) Personally I don't think theres much differance in kits as long as you go with the same compression ratio and bore pretty much the only thing that really varies or makes one company better imo is the performance of their cams and porting. Personally I think I would go with the cheapest if your not gonna go the hole 9 yards. JMO.

stroked300ex
03-17-2003, 03:29 PM
i can do all the engine work myself.. i mean im capable of doin it. One of my friends has a 404 big bore kit in his banshee and it does a tremendoes about of help to the engine. You cant keep it on the ground , no matter what gear. anyways like i was saying.. i will prolly go with IMS since they are cheaper. I will be getting gaskets, new cam, new cam chain, new JE piston, new sleeve, new crank, and new pipe. So this is a good start for a full racer quad.
thx yall

Nausty
03-17-2003, 03:33 PM
you gonna be running a 330 kit? WHat compression are you gonna ruN? Does anyone know the highest compression piston you can go with on the 300ex without race gas? I'm just curious. I don't think it would really matter that its a 300ex and i'm guessing it would be around 11:1 compression too? Also would a new crank be neccessary in his application. I really don't think it would but it depends on how aggressive his cam is and how much compression he is running right?

stroked300ex
03-17-2003, 03:36 PM
yea man its gonna be a 11:1 compression JE piston... Im gonna be runnin pump gas because maybe i wanna ride some with friends and in dunes and stuff... without burning gas like hell. Im not sure of the highest compression for a 300ex.. prolly a 12:1 lol.. ive seen a tricked out 300ex beat a tricked banshee in a drag race so im sure the compression was high on that one.. idk..
TG :grr

03-17-2003, 03:39 PM
11:1 is as high as u can go without race gas, if u can afford it do all the motorwork at once...

stroked300ex
03-17-2003, 03:40 PM
heres my 300ex if u were interested.