PDA

View Full Version : Re-doing the timing chain and tensioner ... are these the parts I need?

syixstring
08-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I had these in mind:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160977878487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230823875891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-TRX-400EX-1999-2008-Tusk-Top-End-Gasket-Kit-/290856182978?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b86124c2&vxp=mtr

Am i on the right track or do i need different/anything else??? thanks for the help all! this has been a nightmare as i have been screwed over by 2 different shops in my area... im going to get guides and do it myself!!!!!!!

it is a 2003 Honda 400ex.

cheater13
08-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Looks fine for the job. But when you do your timing chain, get the crf450 timing chain. I forget what year (maybe 05-06?), but it lasts longer than original ones since its like a double roller. That's still on my to-do lists.

syixstring
08-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Looks fine for the job. But when you do your timing chain, get the crf450 timing chain. I forget what year (maybe 05-06?), but it lasts longer than original ones since its like a double roller. That's still on my to-do lists.

so awesome brother! thanks for the fast reply!

CJM
08-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Clutch side case gasket will be needed and you will need to remove the clutch I recall. You dont need to remove anything more than the valve cover to do the job so you dont need the other gaskets except the timing tensioner gasket.

syixstring
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
just the clutch cover gasket right?

powderider87
08-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Yea just the clutch cover so get that gasket. take the bolts off the clutch basket then remove the clutch disks. You will then see the big nut that holds the basket on. its easier to remove that nut with a impact gun that will hit it hard and fast and zip it loose. Then remove the basket and the washers behind the nut. Then directly to the right of the basket is another set of gears with a nut, remove that nut and slide the gears off and the timing chain off. Becareful when you put the valve cover bolts on, dont do them too tight maybe 8 lb's if i recall. I snapped the three long bolts on the right side of the cover a couple days ago and had to tare my motor down and bring my cylinder in to get the snapped bolts back out of the holes in the cylinder because oil was leaking out the head gasket. My torque wrench only went down to 10 lbs and that f'ed me over.

2001400exrida
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
yup those look like the right parts. I've managed to reuse my clutch cover gasket before, but if it's never been gotten into, chances are it's probably not going to come off in one piece. Also don't even bother with a torque wrench on those little bolts for the clutch cover and the valve cover. take the smallest socket you've got and just hand snug, and i don't mean like until it stops, i mean until you feel just a little resistance. I've seen way too many guys try to torque those tiny bolts and they end up snapping. hand tight is all it takes. you most likely will be able to reuse the timing tensioner gasket. also, you will need to remove the allen cap on the side of the motor in order to set your timing when you're done.

syixstring
08-09-2013, 11:12 AM
when i do this... i essentially do the valve adjustment guide found around these boards... but when i get down to takeing the valve covers and stuff off i can start taking the crankcase / clutch off right and then replace tensioner and timing chain? ive never worked on one of these before so im just trying to get my stuff straight. thanks all!