PDA

View Full Version : Replacing valves

jacob.jd7
08-02-2013, 04:25 PM
How hard is it? What tools would I need? Should I go stainless or titanium?

Thanks, Jacob

CJM
08-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Theres alot more to it than just slapping new ones in. Guides could be worn and need to be replaced, new valve seats might need to be cut, etc.

Best to let a professional shop tackle this one.

Honda5
08-03-2013, 07:37 PM
you will need a spring compressor, lapping tool and a shim set. its not hard. and if you have the head on the bench you can get it shimmed before you put it back on. just get the oem valves.

2001400exrida
08-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I agree with Honda5, unless your head has tons of hours on it, it's pretty simple. The lapping tool can be had for around $15. I picked one up off RMATV a couple years back and it works well. Spring compressor tool is around $40 i believe, and usually comes with several different size pieces. You will most likely need a shim kit as well.

I would go with SS valves. The titanium don't usually last as long, the stock 450r titanium valves are notoriously short lived.

Rich250RRacer
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
If you lap new OEM 04-05 450R valves, you may as well throw them in the trash. The valves are oxide coated and lapping will remove that coating, exposing softer material underneath which will let the new valves fail much sooner. Not sure if the Ti valves are coated, but any respectable machine shop or engine builder will not lap any new valves, they will check for proper seating with Prussian Blue.

IOWAracer
08-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Ti valves have stelite if you need new valves you must have a seating issue to go along with it. Id have a shop do it if you're even asking this question! You can try it but I would definitely lap the old valves not the new ones! Along with measuring your seat width I like to take a expo marker only! And put it on the seat then put your valve in and spin it once and see where the line is to determine to go up or down w the seat..