PDA

View Full Version : 2003 CR 85 coolant issue

bigdaddy77
08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
We got a 2003 cr 85 motor. Fresh rebuild. Put in the quad and fire it up and notice the coolant drain plug leaking. While getting this issue fixed I noticed a slight discolored discharge of fluid from the weep hole. Wiped it off while running and a few minutes later it had a slight more form on the case around the weep hole.
Mechanic seems to think it could be a slight bit of crankcase oil or maybe some fluid left from the rebuild. I went a head and ordered the coolant bearings and seals and clutch cover seal. But it won't be here till Tuesday right before we leave for Lorettas. We are going g to ride it a little tomorrow to get the crank broke in. Just thought I would put it out there to you guys. Am I being paranoid about this weep hole issue or have you guys had similar experiences. I really think if the coolant seal was bad it would be really dripping out the weep hole.

Logan #34's Dad
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Yep, You have a seal leak.... you will need to pull the side cover off to fix it properly... easy fix though...

bigdaddy77
08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Hey Rocky have you ever changed the bearings along with the seals. What I was reading the bearings need to be pressed out???? How about a little walk through. I'm new to these motors. My experience is mostly with the 4 stroke pit bike motors and I'm not very Good at them! Ha ha ()

Logan #34's Dad
08-01-2013, 05:46 PM
I cannot recall if I replaced that bearing or not...I remember the seals were very easy. Pry out the old ones n lube up the new ones n push them into place. If you get the bearing...try knocking it out once to see how difficult it it is... I'd bet that just the seal will fix your problem...

Ryko racing
08-02-2013, 07:07 AM
I cannot recall if I replaced that bearing or not...I remember the seals were very easy. Pry out the old ones n lube up the new ones n push them into place. If you get the bearing...try knocking it out once to see how difficult it it is... I'd bet that just the seal will fix your problem...

Ive never replaced the bearing. its the seal. From my experience you cannot even kick the bike over if its totally dry of coolant it will scuff the seal and make it seep . Not a big job.

Hey Rock. a 150 motor sure would look good in that CAN AM.

Logan #34's Dad
08-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey Rock. a 150 motor sure would look good in that CAN AM.

150's are entirely too expensive to buy and build and maintain for the output... someday the promoters will get with the program and allow 112cc 2 stroke just like the bikes do.....

Ryko racing
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
150's are entirely too expensive to buy and build and maintain for the output... someday the promoters will get with the program and allow 112cc 2 stroke just like the bikes do.....

I keep hearing that. We ran our janssen 150 motor for two seasons plus 2 nationals in 2012 with only 1 piston and ring replacement. It was virtually unbreakable, and I know Matt Rowe never blew one up either. I guess Joel built ours right. Thank goodness.

I would like to have that Can Am just for a toy but I would want a 4 stroke in it.