PDA

View Full Version : Installing Houser Slicast +2s

Zhutch7
07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Today we were tightening up the a-arms and I got up to turn the bars to see how they felt and it seems as if the handlebars are harder to turn than they were before we swapped the a arms. It doesn't say anywhere in the instructions to torque the bolts to a certain extent so I don't know if we are tightening them too much or what the deal is. Does anyone know why this would be?

Stickman400
07-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Check and see if the knuckle is hitting the a-arm when you are turning it. I'm assuming you were doing this with the shocks off and it being jacked up in the air? I did the same thing and noticed the knuckle was hitting the a-arm when it was off the ground. I started freaking out and took both sides off and ground a notch in the knuckle to clear the a-arm and put it all back together. But then after I got it all back together and on the ground I realized I didn't have the suspension on and the shocks would bottomed out and stopped it from hitting before the arm even got close to the knuckle. Oh well, live and learn.

Zhutch7
07-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Check and see if the knuckle is hitting the a-arm when you are turning it. I'm assuming you were doing this with the shocks off and it being jacked up in the air? I did the same thing and noticed the knuckle was hitting the a-arm when it was off the ground. I started freaking out and took both sides off and ground a notch in the knuckle to clear the a-arm and put it all back together. But then after I got it all back together and on the ground I realized I didn't have the suspension on and the shocks would bottomed out and stopped it from hitting before the arm even got close to the knuckle. Oh well, live and learn.

I didn't know that the shocks had to be off when installing it. I have my shocks on but why would that have anything to do with it?

atvrider13
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Its probably the new larger balljoints in the houser arms. I noticed that also when i installed my houser arms

Zhutch7
07-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Its probably the new larger balljoints in the houser arms. I noticed that also when i installed my houser arms

Will it go away once it's on the ground? It feels like a car with no power steering lol. Okay, its not that bad but still. Do I need to take my shocks out and then install the arms?

Stickman400
07-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I installed them without the shocks just so they weren't in the way. It doesn't matter either way, once it's on the ground it'll be fine.

Zhutch7
07-31-2013, 10:53 AM
I installed them without the shocks just so they weren't in the way. It doesn't matter either way, once it's on the ground it'll be fine.

I noticed that I had the tie rod end upside down. I fixed that and now it's not hitting at all. But still seems a bit harder than normal to turn. I put the front wheels and tires on to make sure the tie rod end would clear it and it did. Would it be okay to go ahead and tighten every thing else up on the a arms with the tires and wheels installed or should I take them off?

Stickman400
07-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I'd take them off just to make sure there isn't any load on the bearings when you tighten them down. I wouldn't think they would move much, if at all, but I'd do it just to be sure.