PDA

View Full Version : Eton Viper 70 4 stroke help

dirtr1der
07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Hey gang, looking for a little help here. I have an 06 Viper 70 4 stroke. The quad has been bullet proof since I purchased it in 07. Last weekend my daughter was riding it and I noticed a ton of smoke coming from the tail pipe. When I pulled over to check it out, the motor was extremely hot and the oil tank was under a ton of pressure. When I removed the dipstick, almost all of the oil sprayed out. I worked on it tonight draining the remaining oil and refilling the motor with good clean oil. 2 strange things happened when I did this.

1. The oil reservoir did not want to accept oil, almost as if the fill tube was blocked. I did get the motor full of oil pouring it extremely slow and spilling more than I poured in.
2. After I started the quad and ran the motor for about 45 seconds, I shut it down and pulled the dipstick to check the oil level. The motor was cold but when I went to unscrew the dipstick, the oil pan had pressurized again so much that it shot the dipstick out (into my face) spraying me and the fridge behind me with oil.

Apart from being stunned, pissed and confused, I can't imagine what would cause this other than a clogged vent. Does anyone know if the crankcase on this motor is vented and if so, where? I couldn't find any place on the quad that looked like a vent hose from the crank case. I can't think of any other reason why the motor would suddenly have this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nastynotchback1
07-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Either you got a clogged vent or internal engine damage.

dirtr1der
07-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah. The oil pump is only a 13$ part. I guess I could start there. It looks more like an impeller but if its broke, I guess it could cause the issue. Thing is, the motor runs perfectly. No noise to suggest broken parts.