PDA

View Full Version : Multiple wrist injuries

z400bs
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
I have now broken my right wrist 3 times now racing mx and this last time required surgery with plates and screws(still in a cast). Im wondering if anyone has had similar situations where they have injured their wrist multiple times and what they did to get back into riding and prevent injury. I know that doing what we do is dangerous and injury is always possible, but could multiple blows to the same wrist really effect me in the long run? I dont want to quit racing, but should I start to lean towards xc or something with less jumping? I never did any therapy or serious conditioning to get my wrist back into perfect shape, I just slowly started to ride again. I dont want to let an injury stop me from doing what i love. If you have any opinions, tips, or similar situations, please share. Thanks.

CJM
07-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I dont race mx, but how are you injuring it? Casing jumps, crashing? Sorry you busted it 3x now, thats no fun.

Perhaps a set of flex bars and a wrist support band is in order?

quad2xtreme
07-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Agree that Flexx bars help with wrist and shoulder injuries. Properly setup LT suspension will help too.

z400bs
07-26-2013, 07:52 PM
i have lt elkas that are just okay. they get the job done but im sure i could send them off and they would work better. Do flexx bars give more then the precision clamps?

KKiowaTJ
07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
My dad raced bikes and sleds back in the day along with years of recreational riding. Hes now 68 and has had 3 surgurys, Many injections of a pain med from the sides and straight down.

Doc gave him three options, Fuse it and have a solid wrist, Good for a boxer, But limited to no use. Have a fake/prostatic wrist put in, Who knows how long or what kinda abuse they can take. Three was leave it be and wear a brack/pain meds/injections etc, Live with it.

That's what he had to look forward to in the 'long run'. Hes had a fake hip, Knee surgery(s) and soon a fake. But I guess it was worth it, Never complains too much unless it worthless that day. But its his clutch wrist so he can still ride now and the lol.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-26-2013, 11:34 PM
I've broken both of my wrists twice. Only one was from Mx and I blame the injury on flexx bars. I do not recommend them for Mx.

wfo4rv
07-26-2013, 11:37 PM
I've broken wrists many times. Flexx bars, boyseen shock out grips, precision stabilizer, good suspension is what it took for my wrists to feel good and be saved more when riding

quad2xtreme
07-27-2013, 06:17 AM
i have lt elkas that are just okay. they get the job done but im sure i could send them off and they would work better. Do flexx bars give more then the precision clamps?

I've never ridden any quad with precision clamps so I can't do a comparison. The Flexx bars gives you options to control how much give there is. I run the red polymers for mx but run the softer yellow ones for XC. I now have a set on my dirt bike too. Big improvement in comfort for me. I upgraded my older ones to have polymers on both sides which makes it even better.

bbender85
07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
when i broke both of mine at the same time i ordered precision clamps before i even got back on the bike knowing my wrists would appreciate them.. and they sure have. i love the clamps.

if the doc refers you to PT, make that $... your religion and take it seriously. i did and i have 99% functionality back in my wrist with lots of screws and a plate still in it. my sister didn't do PT when she tore her wrist up and she can hardly even move it and has chronic pain.