PDA

View Full Version : Hooking a capacitor up to my radio, but not for what you think.

chucked
07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
For when I turn the engine off and turn the key to the accessory position. This causes the radio to reset. Was trying to come up with a way to keep it on for 5 seconds or so, so it wont reset. It always resets the bluetooth connection and screen position, which is kind of annoying

Scro
07-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Sounds like you have the 12v constant power wire, and the accessory power wire either swapped or not hooked up correctly. You shouldn't need an external capacitor to keep the settings. That's what the 12v constant is for.

chucked
07-24-2013, 11:43 AM
No, its hooked up perfectly fine. Maybe I didnt explain correctly. When the engine is running, its on. When I turn the engine off and go to turn the key to the accessory position, on the way is there it passes the off position. Which kills juice to the radio, obviously.

JOHNDOE83
07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
theres a accesory wire that scro mentioned that keeps the radios memory hooked up even when the powers off.

Are you positive its hooked up correctly?

ive had the same problem in the past, we also hooked up head units like that for stereo competitions... I dunno why....lol

chucked
07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
You're missing what im saying... Ill think about how to reword it when i wake up

Scro
07-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I suppose you could run both the constant and accessory lead wires to a 12v constant power source. Put a rocker switch on the accessory wire, and the radio would stay on as long as the switch is on. I've never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be sure to have an appropriate fuse on the accessory wire.

chucked
07-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Yea I was contemplating running a switch, which will probably be what I end up doing. But here's a vid I made explaining my situation
http://youtu.be/G_f-N1DLdHU

CJM
07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Hook to a constant 12v maybe wire in a switch. The problem is the way the truck is wired, it cuts power when you swap to accessory for a brief moment.

chucked
07-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Im gonna grab a capacitor from the electronics store up the street and see what happens