PDA

View Full Version : 440ex motor noises

Daredevil1
03-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Hey, i just bought a 400ex with a CT 440 kit with the Ct valves, valve springs, titanium retainers, ct cam, ct porting and hardface rockers. I had just got it home from a 5 hour drive (in 20 degree weather) so the engine was really cold. Well, when i started it about 2 days later after it warmed up a little (it was still about 30 degrees outside) the motor was making a loud clicking noise. It seemed to go away more as it warmed up and then after about 7 minutes or idling it only clicked a little when i revved it a little. I am new to four strokes (have been a two stroke guy), so is this just something it does when the motor is really cold? Or is this something involving bad valve adjustment? Or is is just because of the big cam having the valves make more noise? Please help me out so i dont have to worry anymore :( . Thanks in advance.

ChadEXer
03-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Ive got a friend that has a 440 that just cant keep his valves from ticking, he has adjusted them and they still tick,,,thats not normal ,but maybe thats the noise your hearing too!

Daredevil1
03-17-2003, 01:49 PM
well like i said, it kind of went away as it warmed up, but is that normal? I cant start it up to hear it now though (now its warm outside) because it is stripped down for gusseting and powdercoating. Is it something i should worry about? What should i check for when i pull off the head that could cause clicking?

Daredevil1
03-17-2003, 02:57 PM
bump

Castor-426ex
03-17-2003, 02:58 PM
check for proper clearance...you might want to try a thicker oil...in the warm weather that is...i just did a 426 with a hotcam stage 2 and it does tick a little...but it could just be break in....

shamisc
03-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Ticking means that the valves are closing shut. Heavy Duty spring will cause valve ticking to be a little louder than stock. If you think about it, it's slamming the valve shut probably twice as hard. Every 400 around here does it. Mine did it when it was stock. Ticking IS normal! I'd rather hear a little ticking than no ticking at all and burn the valves!! JMO! :rolleyes: I would, however, check your clearances. Call the engine builder if your not sure of the valve lash. ;)