PDA

View Full Version : Heli Coil Kit

matholland
07-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Where does everyone buy their kits from? Also what thread pitch do I need? The ones that I need to do are the 8mm bolts. Specifically the valve cover, but all the 8mm bolts are the same.

Fix29
07-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I get mine from CARQUEST, but any auto parts store like that should have them. I just took the bolt with me and they matched it up to the Heli Coil's.

CJM
07-23-2013, 04:56 PM
They are m6x1.0 I believe (the actual thread) could be m6x1.25 as well. Bring a bolt with you.

SUPER important, torque them down by hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet and hold the head of the ratchet. You just want them snug, nothing more as spec for 7 ft-lbs is SUPER low.

matholland
07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
They are m6x1.0 I believe (the actual thread) could be m6x1.25 as well. Bring a bolt with you.

SUPER important, torque them down by hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet and hold the head of the ratchet. You just want them snug, nothing more as spec for 7 ft-lbs is SUPER low.

I am always good about either at guesstimating or actually torquing the bolts. All of this is due to the previous owner's failed attempts, and the valve cover leaks with new gaskets. Has to be the most important bolts too...the ones on the corners lol.

2001400exrida
07-24-2013, 10:13 AM
they are m6x1.25. Take your bolt with you and you can make sure, but if you're doing a helicoil it won't matter since you'll be drilling anyway. I can't stand those wimpy little valve cover bolts. There's like 12 on there and i swear every one is a different length. What usually happens i previous owner puts the wrong bolt in the wrong hole and snap or strips it. I've picked up 2 used 400's that had snapped bolts under the head cover. PIA. I like my 450 cuz there's only a couple bolts holding the head cover down....not a dozen random bolts, lol.

matholland
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
they are m6x1.25. Take your bolt with you and you can make sure, but if you're doing a helicoil it won't matter since you'll be drilling anyway. I can't stand those wimpy little valve cover bolts. There's like 12 on there and i swear every one is a different length. What usually happens i previous owner puts the wrong bolt in the wrong hole and snap or strips it. I've picked up 2 used 400's that had snapped bolts under the head cover. PIA. I like my 450 cuz there's only a couple bolts holding the head cover down....not a dozen random bolts, lol.

I know right?! lol! I have had an ltr, 2 450r's, and 1 yfz. I have never owned a 400ex, this is the first one I have actually owned. It is nice to not have to drain antifreeze to work on the top end....sucks because it runs hotter....Miss the torque of my 2 built 450's...I had gotten rid of mine because everyone stopped riding...everyone got back into riding, and I had to get something again. I had already used the cash I got out of my last 450 for other things, so I was stuck buying a cr250, then I traded it for this 400.

CJM
07-24-2013, 04:14 PM
In all honesty the only thing that annoys me about the helicoils is the lengths you have to go to to put them in.

If you can find 1/4 bolts (probably allen heads) you can just tap 1/4 threads in there. 1/4 is slightly larger than 6mm. Worst case 7mm as well. Nice thing is the helicoil is still larger yet so if it fails and you have no choice your still good.

87TRX310R
07-27-2013, 12:33 PM
The best repair you can do is use Time-sert rather then those cheap heli coils. I just did a 400ex that had the cam chain tensioner bolts stripped and the only drawback is there expensive to buy for each size bolt but the inserts come in different lengths and they won't come out.