PDA

View Full Version : Will newer swingarm fit my 2000 model?

Zhutch7
07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Will an 08 swingarm bolt up to my 2000 400ex?

CJM
07-22-2013, 08:29 PM
They are all the same for all the years. Is yours broken?

Zhutch7
07-22-2013, 08:39 PM
They are all the same for all the years. Is yours broken?

The bearing area where the pivot bolt would go in is absolutely trashed. 1718104158

Zakradu398
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
The bearing area where the pivot bolt would go in is absolutely trashed. 1718104158

Mine is also......

chronicsmoke
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
is the outer race to the needle bearing still in there?

Zhutch7
07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
is the outer race to the needle bearing still in there?

What exactly do you mean by "outer race"? When we took it apart I didn't think anything of it until I look down in there and noticed that inner lip was ruined.

CJM
07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
There are bearings in there, did you remove them? If you di then yea its kinda trashed.

Any year 400ex swingarm will fit.

chronicsmoke
07-23-2013, 01:10 PM
What exactly do you mean by "outer race"? When we took it apart I didn't think anything of it until I look down in there and noticed that inner lip was ruined.

that 'inner lip' looks like the outer race of your needle bearing, those tubes are smooth as a baby's a$s and have no 'lips' inside. Take a socket that is almost the exact OD as the ID of the tube and see if you can pound that sucker out. The outer race of these needle bearings are very thin and they don't have an inner race, if the 'needles' fall out you woun't be able to tell it was even a bearing at one time..

I have a small honing brush that works good for cleaning up inside the tube.. I do mine at least once a year on my 450r..

Careful with those bearings, if you let them get too bad your swinger can rub on the case..

Zhutch7
07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
that 'inner lip' looks like the outer race of your needle bearing, those tubes are smooth as a baby's a$s and have no 'lips' inside. Take a socket that is almost the exact OD as the ID of the tube and see if you can pound that sucker out. The outer race of these needle bearings are very thin and they don't have an inner race, if the 'needles' fall out you woun't be able to tell it was even a bearing at one time..

I have a small honing brush that works good for cleaning up inside the tube.. I do mine at least once a year on my 450r..

Careful with those bearings, if you let them get too bad your swinger can rub on the case..

Are you telling me that I may be able to rebuild it? There is a kit on eBay that include everything, bushings, needle bearings, washers, everything.

CJM
07-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Are you telling me that I may be able to rebuild it? There is a kit on eBay that include everything, bushings, needle bearings, washers, everything.

Yea. Pivot works or even oem you can buy everything. Ive used pivot works. So long as that is a piece of needle bearing and not the actual swingarm.

Pro tip: Polish the ever bleeping inside of the tube before you assemble it and use alot of grease when you put the needle bearings in.

chronicsmoke
07-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Yea. Pivot works or even oem you can buy everything. Ive used pivot works. So long as that is a piece of needle bearing and not the actual swingarm.

Pro tip: Polish the ever bleeping inside of the tube before you assemble it and use alot of grease when you put the needle bearings in.

Yah It's rebuildable, Zhutch. I'd hate to see you buy a newer swinger with bearings on their way out and end up in the same predicament again.

CJM is right, you want that tube SPOTLESS before you grease and install the new bearings. The needle bearings are fragile so you'll have to put them in the freezer for a few hours then slip them into the swingarm with some grease. Make sure you grease them really well and don't hit them hard or you'll knock the new pins out of the new bearings.

Take your time and if you have the manual check it out there for detailed instructions. :muscle:

Zhutch7
07-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Yah It's rebuildable, Zhutch. I'd hate to see you buy a newer swinger with bearings on their way out and end up in the same predicament again.

CJM is right, you want that tube SPOTLESS before you grease and install the new bearings. The needle bearings are fragile so you'll have to put them in the freezer for a few hours then slip them into the swingarm with some grease. Make sure you grease them really well and don't hit them hard or you'll knock the new pins out of the new bearings.

Take your time and if you have the manual check it out there for detailed instructions. :muscle:

Is that clean enough? On the install, does one needle bearing go in each hole? There will be one (1) for the left side and one (1) for the right side, correct? Does anyone have any pics on how it should look when installing for each side?

Zhutch7
07-30-2013, 06:15 PM
The spots are just stained on it.

CJM
07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
If they arent rust and just some stains it should be ok. Remember rust doesnt go away, it just gets worse. I used a dremel with a sanding drum in it myself, but some 220 grit sandpaper or so should also work.

Once you get the kit with the seals you will see how far to drive them in there. Its rather easy-just use a small 2lb sledge or largerhammer and a socket you dont care about and take your time. Remember to freeze the bearings and have the tube already greased up ready to go.

Zhutch7
07-30-2013, 07:53 PM
If they arent rust and just some stains it should be ok. Remember rust doesnt go away, it just gets worse. I used a dremel with a sanding drum in it myself, but some 220 grit sandpaper or so should also work.

Once you get the kit with the seals you will see how far to drive them in there. Its rather easy-just use a small 2lb sledge or largerhammer and a socket you dont care about and take your time. Remember to freeze the bearings and have the tube already greased up ready to go.

Okay great! I got the kit the other day so I should be looking at around the weekend possibly before doing it. A lot of other stuff needs to be done too. Multitasking

400man
07-31-2013, 07:44 AM
be careful about grinding or sanding too much in there or it will make the bearing be loose in the swingarm.

2001400exrida
07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
be careful about grinding or sanding too much in there or it will make the bearing be loose in the swingarm.

^^i 2nd this. I would not recommend using a dremil tool or sanding, you want those bearings to go in tight, if the housing comes out of round just a little bit they're not going to sit in there perfect like the swingarm is designed. I use polishing compound when i did mine. take some degreaser to it first. THen come back with some polishing compound then grease away.

JOHNDOE83
07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
^^i 2nd this. I would not recommend using a dremil tool or sanding, you want those bearings to go in tight, if the housing comes out of round just a little bit they're not going to sit in there perfect like the swingarm is designed. I use polishing compound when i did mine. take some degreaser to it first. THen come back with some polishing compound then grease away.

They also sell a straight wire brush attachment at the hardware store "lowes or home depot" that goes on a hand held drill, I use them all the time for cleaning up stuff like that. I use wd40 on the wire brush and it works great without taking away the metal structure or damaging the surface.

chronicsmoke
07-31-2013, 11:46 AM
They also sell a straight wire brush attachment at the hardware store "lowes or home depot" that goes on a hand held drill, I use them all the time for cleaning up stuff like that. I use wd40 on the wire brush and it works great without taking away the metal structure or damaging the surface.

That WD-40 is key!

A drill or dremel with a small wire wheel would probably be ideal..

Zhutch7
07-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks fellas! I will see if I have time to try anything this evening between work and church.