PDA

View Full Version : Trevorton Sunday 8/4/13

OldGuyonaQuad
07-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Anyone down for a ride a week from Sunday 8/4/13? Post and or pm me for contact info and meeting spots.

Zeo88
07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I'll be away that weekend. But would be down for a Sept. ride. Wife and I were thinking of going down Labor Day.

CJM
07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
So long as its not sweltering that weekend I think Im in Tom. I still need to buy some better skidplates and work out a few tuning kinks but I think its a 80% chance Ill come. Maybe we meet at the cabelas again? You bringing the camper and staying out there?

btw, Im NOT going anywhere near that hill!

OldGuyonaQuad
07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
We will probably just go for the day because we don't have AC in the motorhome. Cabella's would be a good meeting spot. I can take you to the top of the big hill from the back side, the view is awesome. I will confirm early next week and see how you are looking. Pete we will hook up later in Sept I think we are going to Gettysburg labor day weekend. I had a couple of guys pm me that can't make this ride but want to go on the next one so in a couple of weeks I will post some dates and check peoples schedules.

CJM
07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a plan, so long as something doesnt happen next few days (like my radiator going bad like the other day lol!) and its not like it was last few weeks Im game.

What was the dust mask thing called that you used Tom?

OldGuyonaQuad
07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=atv+dust+mask&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

link to Cabelas if it doesn't work go to their site and search for atv dust mask with all the rain we have gotten lately I don't think it will be an issue.

Zeo88
07-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Might want to check out this mask. We went riding a few days ago on old railroad lines (same coal dust as Trevorton ) and I used this from Rocky Mountain. Worked great and kept face clean too.

CJM
07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-24-2013, 07:43 PM
the one I linked has a filter and they have a hanky with a filter @ Cabela's too. The one I bought can be a pain to keep the Velcro connected when putting your helmet on. The hanky might be easier.

CJM
07-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I think im gonna get the hanky one, may not need it but it will be nice to have incase.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Early 10 day forecast has Saturday high of 82 low of 65. Should be tolerable. We might even hope for a little bit of rain during the day to cool things off. Either way bring some swimming trunks I know a of a couple of places to cool off. If you're not going to do the coal hill Marc maybe you will do some cliff jumping. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h61q5tpHoo

he lived but I think he broke his back and a couple of ribs.

CJM
07-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Yea me and that hill arent going for round 2 Tom.

That video looks crazy! What busted him up was the way he landed, gotta stay straight as an arrow and you fly right in. At that height hitting water is like concrete.

Btw: The 4th is the day before my 28th b-day :)

OldGuyonaQuad
07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
So I guess you will be showing us how it's done then Mr Louganis? Back in the day I used to hang with high divers from sportland Pier in Wildwood, they would have 2 divers at the foot of the pool splashing to break the surface of the water to reduce impact. I learned how to do a few dives from former US high diving target champion Dana Kunze.

http://tv.dallasronny.com/video/4uHkyMh9FW4/World-Record-Highest-Dive-Dana-Kunze-172-Foot-High-Dive-World-Champion.html

No worries we can do the beginner cliffs. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0XcGOmgIEA
oh and HB in advance I will be sure to bake a cake and we can sing HB off key for ya ;) :D

CJM
07-25-2013, 08:04 PM
lol...

Im no diver, but I know that unless you break the water evenly your gonna get hurt. IE bellyflop vs dive.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-28-2013, 10:36 AM
10 day forecast has a high of 78 next Sunday. For once I hope they are right. That would be nice riding weather for the first week of August. I texted Lonnie last night and he is going to try and make it and wants to do a weekender up there in the fall. I'm down and I am ready to go back to WV too.

CJM
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a plan. Im gonna order up that dust mask next day or two.

Hopefully I can get at least one other person to go with me to treverton, otherwise its a long ride there lol.

I really wanted to get out today and ride but weathers pretty nasty, light drizzle that could turn into massive storms at any time. The 450 has been running fine last 2x I was out however.

As for WV Im thinking sept probably. Cool enough to enjoy ourselves and most of the vacation folks will be gone. I also have a buddy who says they opened like 1000 miles of trails in NH, really wanna go check that out sooner or later too.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I will check into the NH trails I heard Maine riding is cool but it's a longer ride then WV and I've read that it's a really rocky ride. I don't mind some diversity on the trails but I want some flat spots where we can open them up and there was a couple of spots to do that from Indian Ridge to Pocahontas. My next bucket list place to ride is Paiute, Utah.

http://www.lizzieandcharlies.com/atvtrailinfo.htm

CJM
07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I very much want to visit the dunes...and by visit and dunes I mean every one of them over the next ten years if possible lol http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=Features&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=2DC4925D63F5419CBDA1FCCC0D242D90

Wherever I move to outside of NJ must be a place i can also ride :)

Was planning a NH trip for end of summer as well. Depends on how many days off work I can get. WV is ALOT farther than NH and if the trails are decent I could be happy.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-28-2013, 02:56 PM
I will start googling and surfing tonight and link you up what I find. I'm all about cool places to ride with a short ride and long trails, I'd much rather spend the time in the saddle versus in the truck ;)

OldGuyonaQuad
07-28-2013, 03:03 PM
I found this place, it's cheap and they have 68 miles of trails. For me it's the same distance as the last place we went to in WV but for you it's two hours closer.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/new_hampshire_12815/ride_8ea7.htm

CJM
07-28-2013, 04:07 PM
That might very well be what my buddy was talking about, Im not sure.

I honestly need a change up, same old trails here get boring and anywhere else around is kinda sketchy.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-01-2013, 07:37 PM
How you looking for Sunday?

CJM
08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Unless work is desperate Im in. Trying to get someone else to go with me, but so far no takers :(

OldGuyonaQuad
08-02-2013, 05:45 AM
Cool the weather should be great for riding, I will call or text you tomorrow to firm things up.

CJM
08-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Still not 100% sure about work. They really need me then Im game as I need a job lol. I doubt it, but you never know

Shoot me a txt tomorrow during the day and Ill give you a call or txt back.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-02-2013, 03:07 PM
will do, sucks not having anyone to do the ride with you. Tell your boys I know my way around really good now, we hve a nice 45 minute loop to the whale back, coal mines and the fan house plus a nice ride to the canyon and swimming hole.

CJM
08-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Yea. I kinda wanted someone to go with incase I got hurt so someone can drive my truck back lol.

Ill probably just take it easy, thats all.

atvtrailfinder
08-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Yea. I kinda wanted someone to go with incase I got hurt so someone can drive my truck back lol.

Ill probably just take it easy, thats all.

Hi. Been reading this thread. Just purchased a 2012 BF 750i. Ive been to new lost trails, had a blast! I,ve been to St clair near walmart, had fun but was alone and unfamiliar. It would be cool if I could ride with others. I am not doing hill climbs (extreme) or wheelies or jumps. I like trails with moderate stuff. It is so hard getting info and when I do find out about a trail, its to risky not knowing if you could get fined, and never knowing where the entrance is or where you can safely park. So, if you guys need an extra rider, feel free to email me, klute55@aol.com. I live in central Jersey. My wife has a Suzuki KQ 500. We went into this blind then got smacked in the face with the reality that riding places are hard to find in this area. In a month or two we are going to mines and meadows, and then we have a week planned in NH. (1000miles of trails.) and next year we will be doing a three day weekend in NH with New Hampshire ATV club which consists of 2 days riding on the trails and then the final day riding up MT Washington. But I want to ride around here in between trips. Pleeease...........................Thanks

CJM
08-05-2013, 12:41 PM
There are few places to ride in NJ, everywhere its technically illegal unless you have permission from the land owner in writing. In some areas riding in your own yard is a no no.

Where I ride unless you have someones house to park at is very sketchy b/c the police like to go in and clean house every few months. They ticket you for illegal operation of a motor vehicle on private property or for illegal parking.

If you have utility quads, alot of trails in PA are good. Us sport atv guys dont like alot of PA b/c its too rocky.

2001400exrida
08-05-2013, 12:50 PM
There are few places to ride in NJ, everywhere its technically illegal unless you have permission from the land owner in writing. In some areas riding in your own yard is a no no.

While i don't live in NJ, I'm under the impression from several people I've met on the site that there are places you can legally ride in NJ. Mount Pleasant being one of them.

CJM
08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
11 acres, having to wear things like knee and elbow pads as well as only being open friday-sunday and better yet all quads must be registered and insured (a near impossibility here unless you buy it new as they wont register one unless you have a title and about 90% dont). That isnt riding, Id rather ride around my 3 acres all day in circles.

Everywhere else, unless you have permission to ride there is illegal. State forests are illegal, fire roads are illegal, hell in some places riding on your own land is illegal depending on the statutes.

jeff tittle president of the sierra club is constantly making sure they wont open up land here. 3 state run atv parks by 2008 I recall was the legislation and we have one now that is closer to being like a kiddy pool than anything else.

so no, there are no real legal places to ride but that crappy park. OK? Do not add advice to a thread with which you have no clue b/c you dont live here.

2001400exrida
08-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Easy killer don't get hostile.

let me repost what i quoted from you...remember you said no legal riding places, now you say.....no legal riding places except the crappy park....which is it? none or one? or 3?

I'm not doubting that your state has hardcore restrictions, I am simply stating that it's not illegal everywhere. There are several other places to ride too that can be legal if you follow the rules which most are over the top as you've mentioned. No rider fee though.....places around here are $20 a day.

Did you get out and ride this weekend like you were planning marc? I would say not, you seem to have some built up aggression. Let me recommend getting out and beating on the atv for a day or 2, it really helps!

i would have blue balls if i talked about it as much as you and didn't follow up or "finish the job" by actually riding! I love talking about it too man, but i love riding more than anything, the talk is cheap.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
trailfinder we are going to be going back up soon, I will give you advance notice you and your wife are more then welcome to join us.

exrida the bull$**** 11 acre park/track that allows 25 riders in the morning and 25 riders in the afternoon hardly qualifies as a place to ride, so I would have omitted it as well. Marc's frustration has nothing to do with riding it stems from dealing with NJDMV and groups like the Sierra club that block our ability to ride thousands of state forest land with wide fire roads and existing trails that are being ripped up by Jeep Clubs and any motor cycle with a plate on it. I envy all of you who live in areas where riding legally isn't an issue. A little bit of compassion would go a long way rather then splitting hairs about what was posted. BTW your machine has to be registered. GL registering a quad in NJ if the original owner didn't do so and didn't save the title. You can wipe your ***** with the bill of sale. If there are any other places to legally ride in NJ they are privately owned tracks and that's not riding that's racing. Also Marc worked until 1 am Saturday and had nobody to take the 3-4 hour ride up there with him so if he has blue balls my guess is it's not from riding. You really have no idea how oppressive this state is to live in.

2001400exrida
08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I live in illinois so I know how the bull**** goes. We have better riding privelages but private or state property here requires OHV sticker. A couple places nearby require a title. I have titles for all my machines. I know nj is bad for public riding. Some states you can just go anywhere.....not ours and not yours. Point I was making is there is legal riding.

Also cjm stated that 90%I don't have titles. Do they not give you a title when you purchase them? Or are 90%the either stolen or have "lost titles"?

Zeo88
08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
In other news.... How was the riding Sunday? Hope to make it for the next one.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-06-2013, 05:07 PM
In other news.... How was the riding Sunday? Hope to make it for the next one.

Pete it was a great day of riding with perfect weather, the machines had no issues and we checked out some new trails back where they cleared out all of the trees by the coal mine. We are going to try and ride on the 24th.

lonnie1977
08-10-2013, 06:53 PM
24th is a Saturday. Just checking so I can make plans with the wife.

CJM
08-10-2013, 09:52 PM
yea 25th would be a sunday, 24th is saturday.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I can't read a calendar, 25th is good for me.

CJM
08-18-2013, 10:51 AM
So were still doing the 25th right? I just posted the info over at trx450r.org as well. Hopefully I have 2 others that will join me, not sure of anyone else so far.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Ya Marc I'm in and I might hitch a ride with Lonnie since I am waiting on a replacement transfer case for my truck. I know now why my brother prefers GM and their consistent inter changeable parts, 30 f in different transfer cases for the same firggin Dodge ram 1500. Ron says he is in but until his *** is out of bed and loaded up the day of I can't count on him as he has left me high and dry more then once. I will line Lonnie up as a back up just in case. I will hit you up in the middle of the week to firm everything up. Early weather report looks good for Sunday.

CJM
08-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Aw that sucks Tom! Doesnt surprise me at all really, Dodge is like that-20 freaking options for one vehicle never ever made sense to me. Use what worked the first time unless you can improve upon it like everyone else-but that wouldnt be dodge then. Sorry bout your truck.

I have 2 potentials but until I pick them up that morning I still have doubt. We still planning on meeting at cabelas in hamburg then heading out?

OldGuyonaQuad
08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
yea Cabelas is fine say around 9 ish

CJM
08-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Id put the time closer to 9:30 but sounds good.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-18-2013, 07:56 PM
that's fine I'm habitually late anyway

CJM
08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Check your pm tom..

lonnie1977
08-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I have a guy from work and his kid coming also. Coming from Jackson Marc. 9-9:30 at Cabela's is fine. Tom if your still riding with me just let me know. As for the Dodge I got rid of mine. Too many problems. Good luck with the repair.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Lonnie I just assumed Marc pm'd you also. Punk Rock Keil is the guy who showed me around and where to park and he was telling Marc that his friends got busted in the spot where he showed us to park. $1200 fine. I am trying to get to Pottstown by Friday to pick up a pass. Even for less then half the year (renewed every Jan 15th)I wouldn't mind paying the $125 but getting up there during normal work hours is tough this week. I read in another forum that the guy with the permit made copies with green paper and they never got bothered but from what I understand they are cracking down so they can open this new ATV park. In the long run it will be better with marked trails camp sites and trash removal but I'm sure for a lot of the locals they feel violated. I don't know what to do $1200 is a steep fine. Ride at Marc's spot in Jackson or somewhere else. I will see if I can get to Pottstown on Friday and I will check out some other spots too.

CJM
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Yea Im sorry I forgot to hit you up Lonnie.

Kiel explained to me that they have gone so far as to actively patrol, thrown quads on themselves to get you to stop and then they nab you, impounds, vehicle fines, etc. Im not interested in a 1200 dollar fine and getting to pottstown pa is tough during the work week for me as well. Did you try calling them Tom and asking if they would mail you one if you paid over the phone or sent a check?

Really bums me out. I wonder if hazelton is the same way now?

lonnie1977
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
That sucks. I meet him last time I was up there. Rode with him and his friends for a bit. They all park at the top of the hill in their RV's. I hung with the locals at Smurfs pond for a bit and they all hate that their making it a park since they will all have to pay to use the land. I know of parking way back down the split in the road to the left but i'm sure they patrol every where. There were quite a few campers way back in the woods. I'll tell they guy from work to stay home. I don't want any one getting a ticket.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-20-2013, 06:49 PM
You can mail it in but allow 2 weeks for delivery. Quads have to be registered and insured. I am looking at a couple of smaller places that are free and an hour closer but 7-12 mile loops. I guess that wouldn't be bad for some place new to ride. You guys interested? Is Hazelton an option for Sunday? The $25 parking ticket wasn't a bad deal ;)

CJM
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I wonder how they check reg/ins, you can insure anything ya want but reg is tough for some. I managed to get the dmv here to register both my 400 and the 450 but it wasnt all that easy.

Not sure about hazelton, id prefer no parking fee if possible. this truly sucks but im glad he warned us before we went.

CJM
08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
I wonder how they check reg/ins, you can insure anything ya want but reg is tough for some. I managed to get the dmv here to register both my 400 and the 450 but it wasnt all that easy.

Not sure about hazelton, id prefer no parking fee if possible. this truly sucks but im glad he warned us before we went.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
double post for the win (so that's how you got to 10,669)
I will post some places tomorrow to see what you guys think after I check it out on Google earth and bing

OldGuyonaQuad
08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/pennsylvania_04754/ride_6411.htm

pecks pond pa its a little over 2 hours for either of us and it's free. 7 mile loop What do you think, dont worry about registration now fee nobody there to check. That's the way it is in most PA state parks. I honestly wouldn't mind Hazelton if the worse thing that would happen is that bogus $25 parking ticket (which I never paid) I want to ride somewhere. What do you guys think?

Bloody skillet would be nice but it's 4 hours each way, we would have to go up the night before and get rooms or crash in the trucks.

I got a great place and it's closer then Trevorton
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/pennsylvania_01589/ride_d20c.htm
free no dirt bikes

CJM
08-21-2013, 04:23 PM
looks interesting. says you need proof of ins and reg tho?

lonnie1977
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
yea i have no ins or reg. pretty sure i violate the 99db rule too

CJM
08-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Yea I got reg but no ins anymore (geico cost me like 200 a year???) and I have a cap I can use as a spark arrestor but I break the 99db limit. I doubt we would run into any issues tho.

CJM
08-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Yea I got reg but no ins anymore (geico cost me like 200 a year???) and I have a cap I can use as a spark arrestor but I break the 99db limit. I doubt we would run into any issues tho.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-21-2013, 08:03 PM
double double poster poster

Like I said the couple of PA State parks I have ridden in the past there wasn't anyone there checking documents or decibels. I wil call the park tomorrow and play dumbe asking questions to see if there is a check in at the trail head.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Type this into Google maps or bing, it puts us about 1/4 mile north of the staging area. I will try it in my gps. Marc do you wan to meet up on the turnpike or rte 11 or the staging area?

Big Flat Rd, Menallen Township, PA 17307

CJM
08-23-2013, 09:10 PM
all depends on how late i get back, another night like last weekend where I get home at 1am it aint happening.

2001400exrida
08-24-2013, 07:21 AM
You guys going?

OldGuyonaQuad
08-24-2013, 09:26 PM
You guys going?
yea

Zeo88
08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
So where did you guys end up going? I'm going riding next weekend upstate NY with some family, but I'd like more options for the fall months. Hate paying for 2 new quads only to use them a couple times a year. Any plans on a Hatfield McCoys trip in the fall? Wife and I are talking about planning a trip and want to iron out some plans.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-25-2013, 08:25 PM
We went to Trevorton, great day of riding. no signs of 5-o we did park a little deeper in the woods though. I would be interested in heading back to H/McCoy in early October. If I can get the registration worked out on my quad I will buy the RAC pass. Let me know what you are planning Pete and we'll see if we can work something out. I know Marc and Lonnie both want to go to WV badly if the timing and finances are right.

CJM
08-26-2013, 05:39 PM
I was thinking either WV or NH opened like 7500 acres. www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/new_hampshire_12815/ride_8ea7.htm

Interesting you ran into issue. Speaking of which ran into a riding buddy of mine and we were talking about it and he said he had heard the same thing about it being bad out there. Guess you got lucky.

punk rock kiel
08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
you don't need to register or insure your quad, just give RAC your car insurance and reg. cause your allowed to take anything off road there.

hazelton I heard isn't patrolled or not nearly as bad but ive never been there.

sorry I wont give up my riding area and no, my quad isn't together yet but I am starting to assemble it this weekend. another set back to the bank account is gonna keep the motor from going together for a little while longer.

CJM
08-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear its not back together kiel. Dont blame you for not giving up your spot either.

I think next year Im gonna do the RAC if I can get a few buddies to also do it with me, going alone sucks. If I bought the pass I def am going at least 1x a month if possible.

Been to hazelton, like it but man the rocks there lol..

punk rock kiel
08-31-2013, 08:22 AM
the problem with trevorton is the RAC permit gets you from where yous parked over to the coal hills. the new proposed area is from "the sands" all the way to 901 which is 95% of the area people ride on and think the RAC permit covers. im not trying to make yous leary of where to ride but I don't wanna see people I know get in trouble. and trust me, the locals wont let the new park go in cause they will cut down every gate and burn any building they ever put up. if I had mine together id go ride and check **** out with a friend or 2 cause I know we can ride fast if need be.
well im going out to the garage and working on mine now

CJM
08-31-2013, 08:35 AM
I see.

Id just behappy to ride st clair and stuff as well.

OldGuyonaQuad
09-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Actually they changed the paper work for RAC permits. You don't need to provide paper work for your tow vehicle unless you are going to 4 wheel with it but they want registration and insurance on any vehicle you will be using on the trails. Below is a cut and paste from their site.

Your current driver's license
Registration card for the vehicle you will be riding on Reading Anthracite property. This includes all ATV's, trucks and SUV's you plan on riding on the property. If you are planning on riding more than one vehicle on Reading Anthracite property you need to copy the registration for all of the vehicles. Dirt bikes do not require PA state registration, but you do need an Access Permit for dirt bikes.
Insurance card(s) for the vehicle(s) you will be riding on Reading Anthracite property. All vehicles you are riding on Reading Anthracite property must be insured. Make sure the VIN number for your vehicle(s) appears on your insurance card.
Registration and insurance information is not required for your tow vehicle, just the vehicle you will be riding on the property.

Mail the completed Waiver and copies of your driver's license, registration card and insurance card, along with your check or money order in the amount of $125.00 for each permit payable to Reading Anthracite Company to:

Thanks again for the heads up though Kiel, we appreciate you looking out for us.

CJM
09-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Well I dont have any issues then, you do sadly.

OldGuyonaQuad
09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Well I dont have any issues then, you do sadly.
I will work something out, I always do but thanks for your compassion

CJM
09-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I will work something out, I always do but thanks for your compassion
I told you how I got mine registered :)