PDA

View Full Version : Building motor, Need help!!!

EXflattracker
03-17-2003, 01:33 PM
I finally have some money to build my motor with and now i just need to find out what I should get so I'm turning to you guys. I need the power to come on hard on the mid to top end because I race TT. Alky suggested 12:1 je piston, web cam 463/9i cam, hard faced rockers and stiffer springs but i'm not sure I can afford rockers unless any of you know where I can get some hard faced for like 170 or less. Also I could go with a drop in cam and if I do this I need some suggestions on which are the best in the mid to top area. I really need the help, thanx guys!!!

Castor-426ex
03-17-2003, 01:38 PM
i think my 426 has a large increase over the power spread based on a stock motored 400ex

im using a stage 2 hotcam..it is a drop in...i dont reccomend it because it took me three cams and the third one had to be put on a lathe to make it right...but now that its right...it does feel very strong........im not saying everyones luck is like mine...you may get a good hotcam off the bat...but I didnt...

Id def use a je or ross piston to your liking....

ChadEXer
03-17-2003, 01:49 PM
You dont need the valve springs or the hardened rockers!! just get an aggressive drop in cam like the TC or Sparks cam,,,or even the web cam!

TIGER72
03-17-2003, 05:39 PM
ChadEXer-ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN RUN STOCK ROCKERS WITH A WEB CAM? I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND IT SAYS THEY RECOMMEND USING HARDENED ROCKERS.....IF I CAN USE STOCK ROCKERS, THANKS, YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME CASH.

Diedrich
03-17-2003, 05:49 PM
try profabatv.com for the rockers..got mine for $130

shamisc
03-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by TIGER72
ChadEXer-ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU CAN RUN STOCK ROCKERS WITH A WEB CAM? I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND IT SAYS THEY RECOMMEND USING HARDENED ROCKERS.....IF I CAN USE STOCK ROCKERS, THANKS, YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME CASH.

Go ahead, spend some cash and get the hard rockers. I put a WebCam in mine last April and as of last week had to put in a new one and hard rockers. It's your choice though. I think 2 cams and rockers are a hel!ava lot more expensive than just 1 cam and 1 set of rockers. Learn from others mistakes! That's what this web sites all about!! Got mine from Magic Racing = $149 cam - $249 rockers.

ChadEXer
03-18-2003, 03:16 AM
Well I guess Im not real sure about the Web cam, I thought they were drop in cams. From talking to engine builders I just believe that an aggressive drop in cam is plenty and hardened rockers arent needed, but if your cam says you should then it would probably be a good idea!!

Dune Surfer
03-18-2003, 12:56 PM
If you get the hotcams you wont need to harden your rockers or buy springs:)

ROGERS
03-18-2003, 03:25 PM
I haven't felt the need to dig into my EX engine yet, but I have beefed up my roadrace bikes' engines before. Here are some tips I have learned.

-HARD FACED ROCKERS: You should be able to find a plating shop that does hard chrome in your area. That would be cheaper than buying a completely new set.

-NEW SPRINGS: You shouldn't need new ones unless you spend, or plan to spend, a lot of time at redline or close. If you have started to feel a loss of power in the very top of the powerband and suspect valve float you should invest in some new boingers. And, if you are going to get a crazy cam, might as well get titanium retainers too. With a radical cam there will be a lot more action going on in that head, better safe than sorry.

-PISTON/CAM COMBO: Just remember that more duration on the cam requires more compression on the piston!

Happy engine building!

-Josh