PDA

View Full Version : Electical problem I've never seen...

JxxxOxxxE
07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm going to try to make this as short as possible, but detailed...

1988 Honda TRX300 2wd electric and kick start

The bike runs intermittently. Sometimes sparks fine and correctly, sometimes constant spark. When I say constant spark I mean like a welder. It obviously cant run like this

When the spark is constant it will stay constant even when not cranking. It wont stop until you turn the key or kill switch off. I have tried another coil with the same result. I have tried another cdi with the same result. If you just touch the starter button for a split second, not even enough to make a half engine revolution the constant spark starts...

If the pickup coil harness is unplugged when cranking, I get nothing, just like I should...

When in weld mode, lol, I can unplug both stator plug and pickup coil plug and it wont stop the spark...I can unplug the cdi and it wont stop... Only thing I've noticed to stop it is to unplug the signal wire from the coil...or turn the key or main switch off

The pickup coil ohms out correctly...as does the coil...

5 second video of the brief cranking, then no cranking, and all constant spark...you can hear it, it even sounds like running a weld bead...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPjHqFb0MdI

The funny part about all this, right after making this short vid, it went back to sparking correctly...hahaha...thus making it very hard to diagnose...