PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding in this heat wave?

OldGuyonaQuad
07-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Just curious how many of you are out there braving the elements with a helmet on of course. Stay hydrated my friends ;)

muddy400EX
07-17-2013, 08:11 PM
good question, wondering this myself. mines been f'd up for like 3 months, but im not sure i would ride if it was fixed. it was like 110 today:(

tjsdaname
07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
spent all day yesterday at Sunset Ridge riding... it was just over 100 all day long lol

beastlywarrior
07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Think I might take the ol foreman out tomorrow

CJM
07-17-2013, 08:51 PM
I tried, almost got heat stroke.

Scro
07-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm spending most of my time cycling, with a little dirtbike on the side. Hydration is crucial.

HondaRacing83
07-17-2013, 09:34 PM
hell yeah i been riding, the heat doesnt bother me when im riding especially if im hauling *** keeps me cool. goin out friday too with some buddys

Mtndew99
07-18-2013, 05:40 AM
Tried to go riding but all the xc tracks around are full of mud I cld barely make it anywhere since it rained for almost 2 weeks

chronicsmoke
07-18-2013, 05:45 AM
We were supposed to ride 1 or 2 times during the week but it's been 105 degrees with the humidex with thundershowers at 65-70% every day, not worth the hour one way to a decent track.. this weekend the weather is supposed to break.

If I still lived in the country and could throw a leg over it and go out for an hour or two I would though, its not that hot

2001400exrida
07-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Absolutely. Had a race last night, and you would think since it was an evening race it would have been cool but we were all sweating balls, it was still 86 and muggy as all get out. A little heat doesn't stop me. Just have to stay hydrated.

fairweather riders i tell ya.

trailrider894
07-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Seeing how I work outside all the time during the hottest parts of the day wearing full battle rattle, A sunday ride is nothing so yeah i'm definitely hitting up the ORV areas everytime I get the chance.

Stickman400
07-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Been riding the local creeks every weekend to keep cool and keep me sane. I work in a steel foundry that's 120-130 inside when it's 97 outside, so it's about all I can handle to go outside in the mornings before work to do anything during the weekday other than get in my truck, crank the A/C and go to work.

KKiowaTJ
07-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I mowed 5 acres yesterday and its just too f'n hot. I supposed to go riding tomorrow but with the heat, Its almost pointless. Cant have fun when you are soaked or your machine is running odd from 106 temps sucking in humidity instead of air.

I might give it a go, But I kinda wanna change to 20w-50 if I do for extra security. I don't think the 10w-40 will like it too much and foam up. Oh well, I used to ride in this as a kid and -25 in winter, Guess im a fair weather rider like old people now lol.

HondaRacing83
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I got a lot of money right now, I'm gonna go riding and break some parts so i have a reason to buy new stuff

KKiowaTJ
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Ended up going yesterday and wasn't too bad. I wore full gear and as long as you kept moving it was fine IMO. Machine seemed to work flawless and only chitty part was the dust and being so dry. But with some mx and a lot of trail/hill time it was a good day.

TCracin440ex
07-22-2013, 03:41 PM
i rode saturday in the heat. im in central virginia and i got so dizzy headed and sick feeling i just had to call it quits.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I might go next Sunday now that it appears to be tolerable weather. I had to hydrate the other day just to take my 14 year old daughter to the Taylor Swift concert, I can't imagine what riding would have been like.

quad2xtreme
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM
I rode 1.5 hrs of engine time on Saturday at Wide Open MX here in NC. I could do 5 laps at a time. I am getting AC unit and generator for the trailer this week. It will make a huge difference. I was over heated just putting my gear on before I even took off on the bike.

2001400exrida
07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Just like trailrider said, I guess it also matters if you're used to working inside in AC or if you have a job outside. I know for a fact when i worked outside, i was just fine in any type of heat, i was used to it. In fact, i set my thermostat at home higher because it felt freezing when i got off work and got in the house. If you sit in AC all day, you're not used to the heat and are more likely to suffer from some type of heat exhaustion.

KKiowaTJ
07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
i rode saturday in the heat. im in central virginia and i got so dizzy headed and sick feeling i just had to call it quits.

That's when I called it quits. I couldn't control the quad so I lugged out and to the shop. After I cooled off I was fine, But I never did go back out. I had put two hours in and figured 'that last ride' I always usually do, Would bite me in the *****.

wfo4rv
07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
its over 100 every day, eff that im inside not riding until it cools off

TCracin440ex
07-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Just like trailrider said, I guess it also matters if you're used to working inside in AC or if you have a job outside. I know for a fact when i worked outside, i was just fine in any type of heat, i was used to it. In fact, i set my thermostat at home higher because it felt freezing when i got off work and got in the house. If you sit in AC all day, you're not used to the heat and are more likely to suffer from some type of heat exhaustion.

i call complete bull shyt. i work outside in the elements. i operate equipment for a living & before somebody says you prob. got enclosed cab with AC. NO i have open cab and very exposed to the heat in the summer and cold in the winter as well as the dust or anything else. i do not like the heat and cant stand it. My theory on hot and cold is...i can put clothes on to keep me warm in the winter, but can take enough off in the summer to keep me cool.

CJM
07-24-2013, 06:18 PM
i call complete bull shyt. i work outside in the elements. i operate equipment for a living & before somebody says you prob. got enclosed cab with AC. NO i have open cab and very exposed to the heat in the summer and cold in the winter as well as the dust or anything else. i do not like the heat and cant stand it. My theory on hot and cold is...i can put clothes on to keep me warm in the winter, but can take enough off in the summer to keep me cool.

;) Yup, can only take off so much before you get arrested for indecent exposure.

It was incredibly hot here on the east coast. People were saying floirda of all places was cooler and to those who dont live in florida-florida in the summer is an oven!

KKiowaTJ
07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I sit in the a/c until I go to ride. Seems the 2 hours was about what everyone else rode as well working inside or out. I don't do **** but watch my son, Around the house and cleaning, Like a house ***** lol. My GF can make three times what I can and I have college behind me, Just no demand in that field(s) now.

I work out a little, Diet, Stretch etc through the day and usually put an hour or two a night up to 5 days a week. So I too, Call BS on a/c vs. elements conditioning. I have found, Bouncing in and out of a/c, Will cause you more harm than good.

2001400exrida
07-26-2013, 08:45 AM

what do you do outside. you said you almost had a heat stroke riding so i'm guessing your outside work must be very laid back if you're able to work outside and not have a heat stroke, yet when you go ride you almost have one. The point that you have missed and rudely attempted to call BS on me is that if you're used to the heat and you work in the heat....you can handle the heat. I've got road construction buddies and landscape guys that are outside all day, and when they get home, they're still outside. When i worked landscape/lawn care. I was so used to the heat i didn't want to be in my air conditioning all night, in fact it would sometimes make me sick. If you're used to AC, you won't be used to the heat that we've been having. IF you work outside daily, you are used to the heat and should be fine for physical activity outside, considering that's what you do daily.

i'm glad you called complete bs, but if you actually worked outside you would know that you're much better acquinted with this heat than somebody sitting at a desk in the AC all day. If you do any type of physical work outside on these hot days, a ride through the woods shouldn't make you have a heat stroke.

kkiowa i believe we agree with one another in that going in and out of AC is going to do more harm, that's why i make that point that if you are used to the elements, you can stay in the elements. there's no bs to call.
just my cents. not trying to argue, but you called complete BS on something that i thought is pretty obvious.

Blodg
07-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Seems like some people like to argue things just to hear themselves argue... Bottom line is everyone is different and has a different tolerance for the heat. I know people that work in a 100+ degree factory and when they get home they want to sit in the AC for the rest of the evening to cool down from sweating their arse off all day. The last thing they want to do is go do something hot and sweaty again.

a ride through the woods shouldn't make you have a heat stroke.

The only time I ever take a ride through my woods is when I have one of my kids on the back of my 4WD utility quad. Any other time I am ripping around on one of my sport quads and we all know riding hard is one of the most physically demanding activities you can do and heat stroke could be a possibility in the extreme heat. Who cares if anyone wants to avoid riding in the extreme heat? I went on a riding trip last weekend and it was awesome exploring a new place but it would have been more fun and enjoyable if it would have been cooler out.

2001400exrida
07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Who cares if anyone wants to avoid riding in the extreme heat? I went on a riding trip last weekend and it was awesome exploring a new place but it would have been more fun and enjoyable if it would have been cooler out.

But you got out at least! Sometimes conditions aren't ideal, but if you live to ride you can do it. I also agree riding hard is very physically demanding but so are many outdoor jobs. Try roofing, road construction, landscaping, are demanding and would condition you to be able to ride in the heat. If you do labor in the heat on a daily basis, you will be better conditioned to ride in the heat. If you sit in the air all day long, you won't be ready for the heat.

KKiowaTJ
07-26-2013, 10:09 AM
kkiowa i believe we agree with one another in that going in and out of AC is going to do more harm, that's why i make that point that if you are used to the elements, you can stay in the elements. there's no bs to call.
just my cents. not trying to argue, but you called complete BS on something that i thought is pretty obvious.

True, If im outside and its hot etc, I take a break in the shade vs. a/c cooled room. Once you get conditioned to it, Its not that bad. Just drink water and piss out as much as you're taking in and you will have done all you can do.

chronicsmoke
07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Seems like some people like to argue things just to hear themselves argue...

x2

I ride MX 99% of the time and going wide open is very physically demanding. More physically demanding than jogging and who wants to go out and jog in 105 degree weather? Especially just to practice..

I work and live in AC but that's not why I choose not to pretty much run sprints in a heat wave. If that makes me a 'fairweather rider' I'll gladly accept it. Not like I'm making any money doing it giving myself a heat stroke. Anything under 95 degrees (35 C) is fair game for anything. I'd rather tinker in the shop above that..

OZ-T
07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Here in MT we don't have it as bad as most of you, but in the high 80s and 90s recently and I've been out in it. Mainly just to work and back, but it's a 15 minute ride out to work. Up in the mountains if I go ride it's typically about 10 degrees cooler up there so it's not bad, I have a pack with a few bottles of water, powerade and a few snacks always though.

CJM
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Same old arguing.....

Since when do you work outside Ryan? You claimed last I heard that you worked inside doing something like a systems admin...or is that one of the many lies you concocted? Not trying to argue, but you said it yourself awhile back.

Anyways for those of us who REALLY work outside in the elements-we know what its like and up until a few days ago it was HOT!

2001400exrida
07-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Same old arguing.....

Since when do you work outside Ryan? You claimed last I heard that you worked inside doing something like a systems admin...or is that one of the many lies you concocted? Not trying to argue, but you said it yourself awhile back.

Anyways for those of us who REALLY work outside in the elements-we know whadays ago it was HOT!

You must have misunderstood. I never said I work outside marc. You are correct my day job is systems admin, and i feel warm and fuzzy that you remember that. That being said, most of my afternoons and weekends are spent outside doing home repairs or cutting wood for the winter. I used to work outside and also you don't have to work outside to know how hot it is. My point this entire thread is that if you work outside you are better conditioned to the elements than if you sit in the ac all day. Like i mentioned before, when i worked long 12 hour days in the heat, it wasn't comfortable for me to come home and sit in the air, i would freeze. I had my air set at 78 during those summers and it felt great to be in the cooler air, but i was so used to the heat i felt more comfortable sitting on the patio. AGain, some may call BS on this, and that's fine, but this is my experience with hard labor outside.

Also marc since you picked at me about my job, i have to ask. Do you consider sitting in a tow truck an outside job? I mean usually those things have AC right, lol. WHen i say outside work, i'm talking about labor intensive in the heat. Those are the guys who won't have any problem going out and riding in it. I've been out every weekend for the last month and let me say racing has been quite intense. Even though i only do flat track and TT I had some back to back heats and i was exhausted on a hot evening. Still totally worth it. And i wouldn't even consider missing a local race due to the heat. rain can cancel a race, I have yet to see the heat cancel one around here.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I usually sit at a desk all day but I have to go out and measure my jobs. Right now I have 5 large jobs running for one builder that require me to measure unventilated 2nd & 3rd story condos. I have to try and get out there as early in the morning as possible and bring a large bottle of water along with a towel and a couple of changes of clothes since I usually have to go back to my showroom after. Thank god last week was better heck I went outside one night and I was actually chilly. No doubt your body adjusts to your normal environments and what you are exposed to. I found myself wishing I had worked outside more often. Hopefully we are done with the heat waves for this summer and we can all get back to doing what we like best. Arguing on the forums er I mean riding yea riding. ;) :D

KKiowaTJ
07-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't know about your areas, But here yesterday and today was 70's. I put in two hours on the mx track and two on the gncc/hillclimbs. The machine could not have ran any better and my competition was a raptor 660 which I made easy work of unless flat out.

Rain the night before made it tacky and prime, No dust all day. It was windy and a couple jumps I felt it carry and push, But was well worth it. Kinda funny, Went from hot and almost pointless to the most perfect conditions in a persons opinion 7 days later.