PDA

View Full Version : Electric Start Quit Working, NEED HELP!!

shenry14
07-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Ok so I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping someone could help me resolve my electric start issue on my 02 400ex. I went riding the other weekend and went through alot of mud and water and towards the end of the day the electric start quit working. Sometimes it would work, but most of the time it wouldn't and now it doesnt work at all. I have checked all connections I can think of and changed the starter solenoid relay and I am stumped. Battery is getting power and at full charge but my green neutral light will not come on and it will not turn over at all. All help is appreciated, thanks!

on the rocks
07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
try jumping the starter solenoid by connecting the two big terminals with a screwdriver. if it cranks then you know its on the control side of the starting circuit. make sure its not in gear when doing this. also check the fuse and its connections.

shenry14
07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
try jumping the starter solenoid by connecting the two big terminals with a screwdriver. if it cranks then you know its on the control side of the starting circuit. make sure its not in gear when doing this. also check the fuse and its connections.

I did that and it turned over, i also changed the fuse and nothing. so that means its grounding out somewhere maybe?

Mtndew99
07-18-2013, 05:36 AM
Check you battery terminals that happened to me at mountaineer run it wld just click then nothing

shenry14
07-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Check you battery terminals that happened to me at mountaineer run it wld just click then nothing

I have, i do have the terminal rigged kinda but i dont think its them. when i turn the key on and turn the lights on they come on so Im getting power. Is it possible to have a bad connection and still get power but not enough to start it?

Mtndew99
07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I wasn't getting any power my neutral light wldnt even come on it cld be a loose connection or a pulled wire make sure to try the simple things first

Fix29
07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
It might just be the electric start button on the handlebars that went out.

Stickman400
07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
x2 on that ^ I had the same problem, turned out being the starter button. I even tore it apart and cleaned it completely and re-assembled it and it still didn't fix it until I got a whole new button assembly.

fearlessfred
07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
does it have the micro switch on the clutch lever .if it does have a look at that .If I remember correctly ,everything involved to engage the starter is a matter of completing the ground for the starter solinoid

matholland
07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Have you tried holding in on your clutch, if you have the switch in your clutch perch still? If you don't have the neutral light hooked up, then it wont try to start (my 05 is like that anyway). To bypass this you can hold your clutch in (if you have the switch in your clutch perch)...if not, then track down that switch and see if it has been connected to itself...if it hasn't then connect the 2 wires together and then try it.