PDA

View Full Version : How do you get baked on brake dust off car wheels????

HondaRacing83
07-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Soo today I went and got these wheels and tires from a cavalier to try and put on the vibe (dads beater for work) they are the same bolt pattern but these wouldnt clear the caliper on the vibe. So now i gotta get rid of them and they are grungy. Nice 16" wheels and good tires but theres just baked on brake dust and dirt and grunge on these wheels. At first im like oh ill pressure wash it should come off.. Nope lol. Not long after i realized how knarly this **** is lol. Ive got about 2 hours into it and only 2 wheels done, i wss using a mixture of degreaser/wd40/ powder bleach and a scotch pad and metal brush and it works but soooo time consuming and takes alot of elbow grease. My hands are raw. What do you guys suggest to use thats maybe less time consuming and easier? And what do you guys think i can get out of them? They clean up well and have nice tires. What else do they fit besides a cabalier? I know a sunfire for sure. I dont really wanna put any money in them buying cleaning supplies because im just gettin rid of em

CJM
07-16-2013, 09:20 PM
They are coated? Super clean should work but leave it on for maybe 10 secs, it can etch the metal.

Wheels are probably pitted by now and its all dirty in the pits.

HondaRacing83
07-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah they are a little pitted and i dont have super clean and dont really wanna put any money in these

fastredrider44
07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
If you used a wire brush on them, the finish is probably ruined anyway. I'd just soak them in wd-40 for a day or two, then spray on some purple power, 409, mean green or whatever you favorite whitewall cleaner is and pressure wash some more.

HondaRacing83
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I got it all off using my method. Took a lot of work but there clean. What should i ask for them?

OldGuyonaQuad
07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
According to something I read on FB the other day a dryer sheet will do the trick and they can't share a poster on FB if it isn't true ;). Let me know if it works or not.

HondaRacing83
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Just sold em for $250. I was happy only had a $100 in em.

trailrider894
07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Eagle One mag wheel cleaner for any future wheels... it'll get it right off, no scrubbing required.