PDA

View Full Version : Free Vin# Check???

KKiowaTJ
07-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Just curious if anyone knows of a good free vin# checker when you are going to look at a quad or bike to run it to see if its stolen or has a lien on it?

One reason, I have a friend who wants to look at a couple, But no title and a shady price for what it has on it, Plus want to find out of a person bought/financed it and selling cheap for cash. We want to register our quads for iowa OHV parks etc, But don't need or want any trouble with thief's and lowlifes selling the banks quad.

Only one I could find listed the year, Make and model. But I was hoping for a good site to check for theft/liens. I don't really want to pay $$ a quad to see results etc, Just covering our asses. Thanks for any help

JOHNDOE83
07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Your local DMV should offer a free vin check on their website, you might be able to acsess it from a smart phone?

KKiowaTJ
07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Cool, Ill hit up that site and go from there. Thanks

Threewits
07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
BMV or DMV do not have access to NCIC files. That is reserved for Law Enforcement and sometimes insurance companies have limited access.

JACK STRAW
07-20-2013, 07:02 PM
do you know any cops that could run it for you?

KKiowaTJ
07-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Im just going to take the # down and have it ran at the court house. Need to find how much they are raping for a sticker these days. Im pretty sure no problems as I have the title, Just don't want make it obvious if it is shady.

Threewits
07-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Im just going to take the # down and have it ran at the court house. Need to find how much they are raping for a sticker these days. Im pretty sure no problems as I have the title, Just don't want make it obvious if it is shady.

Just FYI, if your state is like the other 49 states, they will not run it without having the ATV in front of them. I am a State Trooper. I run them for all my buddies with the agreement that if it returns stolen, they keep it in their sight untill I get there.