PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bushings

matholland
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey guys. When I was taking motor out like most my swingarm bolt was seized. I had to cut the bolt on each side and drive out the collar...well I bought a swingarm repair kit with new bushings and everything. I had saw where everyone was using a 19mm socket and an extension. I did and the socket went all the way through but left the bearing collar. I have went to a bigger socket and hit on it with a bfh and I can't get it out. I have tried a chisel and I have grooved the hole a little bit now. How the heck do I get this out to put the new bearings in? It is seized to the swing arm and now idk what to do. Dad said I may try using the sawzall and cut into it then try a punch after I cut it into 2 places. Anyone have any ideas???

JOHNDOE83
07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Hey guys. When I was taking motor out like most my swingarm bolt was seized. I had to cut the bolt on each side and drive out the collar...well I bought a swingarm repair kit with new bushings and everything. I had saw where everyone was using a 19mm socket and an extension. I did and the socket went all the way through but left the bearing collar. I have went to a bigger socket and hit on it with a bfh and I can't get it out. I have tried a chisel and I have grooved the hole a little bit now. How the heck do I get this out to put the new bearings in? It is seized to the swing arm and now idk what to do. Dad said I may try using the sawzall and cut into it then try a punch after I cut it into 2 places. Anyone have any ideas???

At this point your already looking to possibly damage something, be prepared to buy a new swingarm if need be.

Mine was so bad I had to literally cut the swingarm to pieces to get it off, luckily I was doing it to actually replace the swingarm and had all new parts in hand.

If your positive theres no c clips holding anything in place try a hammer with a flat head screw driver, wedge it in between the bearing collar and the swingarm unitl you can bend it all up or break it to pieces, the issue is you might break the swingarm while prying on it. Dont worry about scratching or gouging, your putting new bearings in anyway and scratches wont affect it any.

LOL, good luck.

matholland
07-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Dang, totally not what I wanted to hear lol. I am already putting too much into this quad lol. I will try giving that a go...hopefully I can get them out!

Thanks for the tips!

qlphoton
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
When you get it off,and if you need a new swing arm,ive got a stock one from a 08 ill sale reasonably

matholland
07-10-2013, 09:11 AM
What would you take for it?

qlphoton
07-10-2013, 09:27 AM
How about 100.00 shipped to you ,I can send pics via text if you want to see it

matholland
07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Let me see what I got first after I try to get it out again

matholland
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
just wanted to let everyone know that I got it out with a small flat screwdriver, a punch, a hammer, and a sawzaw. I cut the collar, wedged a screwdriver in and it folded up, and used a punch to hit it out...took about 5 minutes a side...pretty easy doing it like that.

I do have a question...I don't know how the stuff came out...one collar is longer than the other with the new kit.....which side does the long one go on? Also, how do the seals go?

JOHNDOE83
07-11-2013, 07:12 AM
its pretty self explainitory but if youve never done it then it might be slightly complicated.

the rubber seals go on the outside parts of the swingarm then the silver caps go over them, the long spacer goes on the right side, the short one on the left.

It should "possibly" go in this order, needle bearings, rubber seals, spacers, caps, install.

matholland
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I thought that was how it went, and that is how I had it installed....I just have the long collar on the left, and short one on the right. My motor isn't together yet, as I am waiting on parts, so I wasn't sure which side was which lol.

Thank ya!

Zakradu398
07-11-2013, 08:54 AM
When removing my swinger bolt. We had to cut the bolt on each side of the motor so the swinger could be removed. The bolt was still seized in the motor bushing so we had to pull the motor and drill out the bolt on a press. WAS NOT FUN..

matholland
07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
When removing my swinger bolt. We had to cut the bolt on each side of the motor so the swinger could be removed. The bolt was still seized in the motor bushing so we had to pull the motor and drill out the bolt on a press. WAS NOT FUN..

That sucks! Mine wasn't a walk down the park lol. I am going to make sure I put PLENTY of anti-seize on the bolt this time haha!

Zakradu398
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
That sucks! Mine wasn't a walk down the park lol. I am going to make sure I put PLENTY of anti-seize on the bolt this time haha!

I am certain to tear it down and grease at least 2-3 times a year now lol...

Blodg
07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Zak, once a year will be plenty if it was greased or had anti-seize properly applied... Do it during the winter or your down riding time.