PDA

View Full Version : Training hunting labs

HondaRacing83
07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
What do you guys know about training dogs? Last fall my pride and joy 12 year old yellow lab/collie mix passed away. I was devastated. Im a dog lover and have been wantin another soon so tonight my dad put a down payment on brown male lab/collie mix for me. im excited, it wont be ready for 2more weeks though. Id like it to be a hunting a dog and a real chill dog that doesnt run away. With my yellow lab, id come home from school let her loose and she wouldnt run off or anything just hang out do whatever i wouldnt watch her or anything id go inside abd take a nap while shes loose outside. Super chill dog. Id go back small gamr hunting with my buddys and i always brought her. She wasnt really a hunting dog persay but shed just hangout in the woods with us. She knows our property and shed go do her own thing we wouldnt have to worry or watch her. I just dont want my dog running off and id like it to retrieve **** i shoot, whats the best for me to do with a new dog?

KKiowaTJ
07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I live near rivers and what not that attract ducks, Geese, Snows etc. I don't hunt but have a dog that I used to take out and film friends at their blinds. Hes a 14yr chesse/lab mix and really didn't have to teach him not to run away.
But for our other mutts I use an adjustable shock collar. I find a minimal response zap and a 'you F'N dog" zap that will drop them, But not super painful. After awhile the weight of the collar will be enough they know not to run/leave the property.

Two other things I do to check for 'hunting' material, One is when you get it, Get out the shot gun. A good dog wont jump, piss, get jumpy around gun shot. The more you take the dog around it, The more it will get use to it or not at all. Two, Is go down and throw it in the water, If its a smart hunting dog, They will already know what to do and swim right back. That's what you need 100yards away so hes no out eating your kill etc.

Now for the water, I have seen, But don't recommend deep water. Use a long rope and knee to waist high water and have ahold just incase you have to fish you dog back.
Make it sit in a certain spot/rug/bed and no move until you say to. That will take awhile, But if you ever go hunting where quiet and no motion is required he will be ready and used to it.

Don't take this as I torture dogs, But I put them through the paces to see if they are worth the $1000+ hunting dog they claim. Hip displacement over a few years, Perfect blood lines etc. Take it slow and don't love up to him, Teach him and reward him. He will get all the love from others and days you just piss around. Don't let others order your dog until he knows you fully, Family or not, Or he will second guess your voice and run or ??

Good luck and enjoy your new pup. IMO get him the chip implanted just incase for GPS. That and it will save him if the cops get him first.