PDA

View Full Version : New carrier needed with new axle?

12-13-2001, 12:10 AM
I am about to buy a new axle, do I have to get a new bearing carrier, or can I still use the stock one.

Thanks in advance:D

400MXer
12-13-2001, 10:11 AM
Sure, you can still use your stock carrier. But it would be smart to replace the bearings. My stock carrier completely siezed up on me, and it tore some things up pretty bad. If i would have checked it earlier, i would have saved a lot of money!

What kind of axle you gettin'?

12-13-2001, 11:18 AM
I am going to get the LSR chrome axle. I might as well get a new carrier also!

400MXer
12-13-2001, 01:07 PM
yeah, if you've got the money, you might as well. I have an RPM dominator axle and a RPM twin row carrier.

12-14-2001, 01:24 PM
I'll be goin with speed racings carrier and which ever carrier you get,,,buy the tapered over the dual row,,,tapered carriers will allow more sideload and will probably outlast the dual row..but the tapered carriers cost a little more to,,but you get what you pay for...:devil

86atc250r
12-14-2001, 01:36 PM
I've got both...

I really like the theory of the Tapered carriers, but you lose about 30% of your chain adjustment. Axle nut adjustment on a tapered carrier is even more critical than it is on a double row carrier.

My double row has done fairly well, but probably not as well as my tapered carrier.... If it weren't for the chain adjustment issue I'd own nothing but tapered.