PDA

View Full Version : Do you ride on public roads?

OZ-T
07-07-2013, 01:09 PM
In some states, it is perfectly legal to do so! Where I live, you can license and register atvs just like cars and that is exactly what I did with my 400EX. Unfortunately, there's only a handful of states that allow it, but does anyone else here do it? I never understood why it's not legal everywhere, if you can license a motorcycle and ride it on the streets, why not quads?

Ryan02400ex
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
A lot of the roads around me are legal to ride on as long as they are posted and you are registered for trails in Wisconsin.

Mtndew99
07-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I never understood how you can ride a bicycle on a rode anywhere aslong as you have a reflector but yet you cant ride a quad on the road

Scro
07-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Can't around here. Only time I've legally ridden on the road is when we were at Hatfield McCoy.

OZ-T
07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae299/1980JeepCJ5/528221_10200310638341380_1886398781_n_zps2d8ce60f. jpg (http://s981.photobucket.com/user/1980JeepCJ5/media/528221_10200310638341380_1886398781_n_zps2d8ce60f. jpg.html)
Closest thing I have to a picture of me in action on a public gravel road out in the country. Was actually messing around in the ditch and just using the road to turn around on. Will try to take a picture of it next time I'm downtown or something.

OZ-T
07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I never understood how you can ride a bicycle on a rode anywhere aslong as you have a reflector but yet you cant ride a quad on the road

Makes no sense to me about the motorcycle thing either, you can license a street legal bike anywhere and quads are basically the same thing but with 2 extra tires. Haven't seen one in years that hasn't come equipped with the basic essentials to be street legal. (Lights)

rooster300ex
07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Only UTV's and golfcarts. I guess if it has a steering wheel its ok. You do have to tag it also.

CJM
07-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Problem is imho is at high speed spinning out can occur super easy on a quad vs a bike unless your running street tires. Besides that we lack blinkers, and a metal gas tank (almost all road bikes have metal tanks for DOT and other reasons and regulations). otherwise I dont see why not so long as we had blinkers.

trailrider894
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
In missouri the law says that any vehicle that is used for agriculture as long as it has a warning diamond or flashing orange light can be driven on highways. I used to drive my Arctic Cat and 400ex on the highway with the warning diamonds and never got any trouble from the local police for it.

Stroisch400ex
07-08-2013, 05:19 AM
we ride all the time on roads. they have told us we could ride on roads in small towns as long as its not on the main roads.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Im not aloud to but i do because i got places to be yo

OZ-T
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Im not aloud to but i do because i got places to be yo

Hehe

Thumpin440ex
07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Md is a ****astic state, doesn't allow it, but we still do in some towns around here, have had no issue with the local fuzz. Just have to be decent. I have looked into having a quad inspected and tagged, but it needs to have a single rear wheel in order to do so( and the blinks,horn,speedo,tail/brake/head lights). Have not been able to get around that, refuse to butcher my bike to do it.

John

KKiowaTJ
07-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Its 100% legal in my town/county, On the books and all. You can ride ATV's, SxS's, ATC's, Golf carts but NO dirtbikes. You don't have to register them and you are exempt from the local 5-0 as per our books. A dirt bike CAN be registered for road use and must be done to use a CRF etc.

I have ridden down the highway at 55mph and pass cops, I wave or they will first. All they ask is to turn our lights on out of town which is no problem. The only gas station that sells 90+ is 15 +/- miles away and I go there all the time.

Down side is, I ride a sport quad and all the local meth trash do too, So I catch flak all the time when I am being safe and wearing a lid, 90% of the time on. But they have narrowed it down and know my 400 and to leave us alone. Plus mine is the only one that's not a goon quad and is tuned to run.

Catch two2, There are thousands of acres of woods and perfect trails but the only things allowed are pedal bikes and fawking horses. There is a lot to go around but will fine and take your quad if caught. Oh well, Cant have it all, But I get my payback when horses are on the road

cheater13
07-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Definitly not allowed around here in southern pa. We still do sometimes though, but your atv can be inpounded if they catch you. Plus your get a fine. I'm 10 minutes from Maryland and I'm pretty sure you can't do it anywhere there either.

It isn't that hard to get street tires for a quad and you can put blinkers in them powermadd handguards I'm pretty sure. Laws now adays... :p

Otis.Leo
07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
A lot of the roads around me are legal to ride on as long as they are posted and you are registered for trails in Wisconsin.

where are you in Wisconsin that they are road legal? We are up in Crivitz and they just made it legal to ride the rodes there. I know further north it has been allowed for a long time already.

Ryan02400ex
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
where are you in Wisconsin that they are road legal? We are up in Crivitz and they just made it legal to ride the rodes there. I know further north it has been allowed for a long time already.

I live outside Reedsburg, there's not a lot of legal roads around this town but in Lavalle and Lyndon Station there is a lot. Most roads by my buddy house right by lake Redstone are legal. We happen to camp in Lyndon so I get a lot of road riding in. It is sort of around the Dells area if you know where that is.

Ryan02400ex
07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Do you ever ride the Black River Falls trails?

JOHNDOE83
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Md is a ****astic state, doesn't allow it, but we still do in some towns around here, have had no issue with the local fuzz. Just have to be decent. I have looked into having a quad inspected and tagged, but it needs to have a single rear wheel in order to do so( and the blinks,horn,speedo,tail/brake/head lights). Have not been able to get around that, refuse to butcher my bike to do it.

John

Simple solution, xr400 wiring harness, xr400 swingarm.

LxMxL97
07-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I ride on roads everyday because I am 15 so my its my only mode of transportation it is 100% illegal but if you can ride you can outrun the cops so there is nothing to be afraid of just ride off the road and onto a trail and you will be fine

Blodg
07-20-2013, 12:16 PM
I ride on roads everyday because I am 15 so my its my only mode of transportation it is 100% illegal but if you can ride you can outrun the cops so there is nothing to be afraid of just ride off the road and onto a trail and you will be fine

^Dumb, and why some give quad riders in general a bad name.

LxMxL97
07-21-2013, 12:36 PM
^Dumb, and why some give quad riders in general a bad name.

See what you don't understand is I don't ride like an idiot I ride at or under the speed limit I don't fly past cars I don't ride their butts I don't pull in my clutch and hit the throttle to be loud and annoying if a car pulls up behind me ill pull off the road to let them pass I don't see that I am doing anything wrong and I mainly ride from my house to a farm where I work so I am not out just joy riding I actually have a purpose to where going and I am not going to let some ******* cop pull me over and impound my four wheeler for doing the same thing that a dirt bike with mirrors and some turn signals does all the time and I don't ride in town I live in a pretty rural area so I don't see any problem with

OZ-T
07-25-2013, 02:29 AM
See what you don't understand is I don't ride like an idiot I ride at or under the speed limit I don't fly past cars I don't ride their butts I don't pull in my clutch and hit the throttle to be loud and annoying if a car pulls up behind me ill pull off the road to let them pass I don't see that I am doing anything wrong and I mainly ride from my house to a farm where I work so I am not out just joy riding I actually have a purpose to where going and I am not going to let some ******* cop pull me over and impound my four wheeler for doing the same thing that a dirt bike with mirrors and some turn signals does all the time and I don't ride in town I live in a pretty rural area so I don't see any problem with
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. We all did similar things at that age if we knew we could get away with it, nobody can deny that.

Blodg
07-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Well I will say LxMx that with your reply it doesn't sound as bad as it did with your first response. There are a lot of people who ride on the road just to joy ride and ride on the road more than the dirt which just doesn't make sense.

I have ridden on the road a few times in 25 years of riding ATV's but only to get to an actual offroad trail riding area that is fairly close. And not one time in 25 years have I ever "outrun the cops".