PDA

View Full Version : Stock lower a-arm pricing...what is going on???

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 10:08 AM
So I run JD Performance upper a-arm kit that works with factory Honda lower a-arms. It just gives me added adjustability for the 2006 450r spindles and caliper setup I run...using stock uppers messes up the geometry required for running 450r spindles. You can bolt up the 2005 or 2006 spindles but the geometry won't be where it is supposed to be thus creating terrible bump steer, etc.

So, I just installed new lower a-arms from my personal inventory of parts. I went to order new bottom a-arms and was shocked at the price. Last time I ordered them they were $75 and that was a shock because I used to get them for $45. I checked various sites to see...Service Honda, Rocky Mountain, etc. Most sites say they are discontinued, others say "not shipping", and a few have them listed as high as $153 each.

At these prices, I will just switch to far superior Houser a-arms. The double bearings that Houser uses in their a-arms offer incredible longevity. I know this from running them in my 450s. A full set of Houser a-arms for the 400ex are $675 which is basically equivalent to stock prices now but far superior.

The only downside is I invested in the JD Performance uppers. These are pretty good too. They only use a single bearing with 2 poly bushings and the sleeve so they aren't quite as durable as Houser but still better than stock. I may just get the JD lowers now too...although he doesn't normally make them in stock length. The uppers I got were something he first did for me to work with the 2006 450r spindles. I think he now offers uppers that work with 2005 or 2006 450r spindles...because the upper balljoint offers enough adjustment to work for both since there is only a 1/4" difference in length.

If anyone knows a source for low-priced factory Honda lower a-arms, let me know.

Thanks,

Jon

2001400exrida
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
what do you need 04/05 lower a arms? i have a full set of a arms and tie rods, lmk if you're interested.

CJM
07-05-2013, 06:31 PM
JD arms can use a needle bearing upgrade he sells.

Id call JD and ask about just some lower arms.

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 06:38 PM
JD arms can use a needle bearing upgrade he sells.

Id call JD and ask about just some lower arms.

Yea, that is what I meant, a single needle bearing...although I think you could stuff two bearings in there if you slightly modified the bushings. The lower really doesn't need double bearings though. It is the top that gets loose well in advance of the bottom.

400man
07-06-2013, 12:07 AM
so, why are you running 450r spindles instead of 400ex spindles? is for the brake upgrade, or are they stronger?

quad2xtreme
07-06-2013, 07:24 AM
so, why are you running 450r spindles instead of 400ex spindles? is for the brake upgrade, or are they stronger?

For the brake upgrade only. Big difference in braking power and longevity of the brake pads. The 450r has dual caliper brakes and the contact area is much larger. The 400ex hubs fit the 2006+ spindles too so need to change them out. The brake rotors are already the same too.

The reason for changing out the rear is that the disc rotor is smaller thus you end up with more clearance...especially running a rock ring for the sprocket side and a Blingstar or Lonestar stainless steel rotor guard.

400man
07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
For the brake upgrade only. Big difference in braking power and longevity of the brake pads. The 450r has dual caliper brakes and the contact area is much larger. The 400ex hubs fit the 2006+ spindles too so need to change them out. The brake rotors are already the same too.

The reason for changing out the rear is that the disc rotor is smaller thus you end up with more clearance...especially running a rock ring for the sprocket side and a Blingstar or Lonestar stainless steel rotor guard.

ohhh ok. well if its just for the brake upgrade, you could also just run some Yamaha yfz450 calipers and use the stock 400ex spindles/rotors/hubs. the yfz calipers are dual piston too.

quad2xtreme
07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
ohhh ok. well if its just for the brake upgrade, you could also just run some Yamaha yfz450 calipers and use the stock 400ex spindles/rotors/hubs. the yfz calipers are dual piston too.

Hadn't read that before. I am already invested in the 450r setup at this point so no use changing but good for others to know.

Drifterboy3
11-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Just a note to anyone the yfz setup is great! I'm running it the bolt right up no problems. Braided lines and a 450 master cylinder will let you do stoppies.

LxMxL97
11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
So I run JD Performance upper a-arm kit that works with factory Honda lower a-arms. It just gives me added adjustability for the 2006 450r spindles and caliper setup I run...using stock uppers messes up the geometry required for running 450r spindles. You can bolt up the 2005 or 2006 spindles but the geometry won't be where it is supposed to be thus creating terrible bump steer, etc.

So, I just installed new lower a-arms from my personal inventory of parts. I went to order new bottom a-arms and was shocked at the price. Last time I ordered them they were $75 and that was a shock because I used to get them for $45. I checked various sites to see...Service Honda, Rocky Mountain, etc. Most sites say they are discontinued, others say "not shipping", and a few have them listed as high as $153 each.

At these prices, I will just switch to far superior Houser a-arms. The double bearings that Houser uses in their a-arms offer incredible longevity. I know this from running them in my 450s. A full set of Houser a-arms for the 400ex are $675 which is basically equivalent to stock prices now but far superior.

The only downside is I invested in the JD Performance uppers. These are pretty good too. They only use a single bearing with 2 poly bushings and the sleeve so they aren't quite as durable as Houser but still better than stock. I may just get the JD lowers now too...although he doesn't normally make them in stock length. The uppers I got were something he first did for me to work with the 2006 450r spindles. I think he now offers uppers that work with 2005 or 2006 450r spindles...because the upper balljoint offers enough adjustment to work for both since there is only a 1/4" difference in length.

If anyone knows a source for low-priced factory Honda lower a-arms, let me know.

Thanks,

Jon

I'm running the houser +2 a arms and I think they are the best thing I've bought for my bike I've had them for 3 years and the bearings are just as tight as the first day I put them on If I got a new bike they would be the only option as far as a arms for my only complaint is the +2 length if I were to do It again I would buy mgc +1