PDA

View Full Version : Axle lock nut questions.

Zhutch7
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
What are some good brands of rear axle lock nuts that you all have had good luck with that are at a reasonable price?

Also what are some other ways to get the locknut to stay in place? I have heard of people buying aftermarket ones and they still get loose on them. I don't want to spend $65+ on an aftermarket lock nut and it loosen up on me. All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ben300
07-05-2013, 06:08 AM
What are some good brands of rear axle lock nuts that you all have had good luck with that are at a reasonable price?

Also what are some other ways to get the locknut to stay in place? I have heard of people buying aftermarket ones and they still get loose on them. I don't want to spend $65+ on an aftermarket lock nut and it loosen up on me. All replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

i honestly bought the tusk wrench's to do the lock nut, and then got the torque specs from my service manual and torqued them down to those specs with a torque wrench. the tusk renches have a niftly little cut out on them so you can attach a wrench or breaker bar to them.

i had the come loose probably within two hours after i started riding again. i re-torqued the nut and havent had any problem since them. i also wrap the nut with electrical tape in the direction the threads tighten. so far i have gone 4 local races, 1 gncc, and numerous practice rides since i tightened it and i have had no problems.

2001400exrida
07-05-2013, 07:10 AM
the axle nut wrenches are a big help, unless you have a larger enough wrench in your tool supply. Some people use pipe wrenches, i don't like that method.

I just torque the balls out of it, i use a breaker bar with another 2ft cheaper pipe to get it very snug. I had mine come loose before i bought the wrenches, but ever since i got the right wrenches i'm able to torque it enough and stay in place. Also, lots of people throw some blue locktite on the threads and that helps it to stay on as well.

chronicsmoke
07-05-2013, 07:13 AM

I've got a 'Mod Quad' one that uses two allen key pinch bolts so It can't move. I think I paid 40 bucks for it?

Zhutch7
07-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Alright cool. I think I will try the electrical tape first and the cheaper methods before I buy a lock nut. Thanks guys!

powerbomb400
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I also run the Modquad lock nut. I lime it cause if it does loosen up any you can tighten trail side in 5min. Its easy to carry a allen wrench in the tool kit.

KKiowaTJ
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
No reason to waste money on a special nut when a roll of tape will outlast your quad and actually do more for it. If it does loosen you can tell by the tape twisting, The nut just pop's loosens fast and if you don't catch it could hurt.
It actually happened yesterday and the kid was too stupid and was going to order another anti-fade, Until he realized that all surrounding quads that were built to go and not show, Had electrical tape over the oem nut. I gave him my spare and another had a collar and he went 5+ hours problem free after that.

2001400exrida
07-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I agree completely with KKiowa, even the modquad nut will move and allen wrench or not, you shouldn't have it move at all. Use blue locktite, or use electrical tape and you're good.

chronicsmoke
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
How many hours before the pinch bolts loosened off on you?

I've never had the modquad lock nut move 1/16 of a turn let alone enought to cause damage. Going on 3 years of MX on the same axle nut, never failed or loosened up on me once.

Not saying ditch a perfectly good stocker to buy an aftermarket one, I used the stock one on my 400ex and needed a new one so I went the modquad route and and have been satisfied. Don't be scared out of an aftermarket units.

CJM
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Blue loctite on the threads of the nut and tusk wrenches, never an issue.

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Huge fan of the Modquad one too from Rocky Mountain. It is just easier to deal with IMO than the stockers and for about $40 you can't beat the price. Been using them for years.

Zhutch7
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Great ideas. I appreciate the feedback from all of you!

07-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Another vote for electrical tape. It works and its cheap.