PDA

View Full Version : Offseting factory front wheels?

07RedRider400
07-04-2013, 01:34 PM
I have an 07 400ex and ive heard of people flipping around the front wheels to gain more offset, by making the factory valve stem point inside the tire and drilling a hole for the new one on the outside. My only concern is the factory wheels have bevels on them for the tapered lug nut to go into and i dont know how or if there is a way to put them on the other side for slipping around the wheel. Will it affect anything if i dont? and ive been looking for STI wheels that have the offset i want and the only ones i can find are the Pro-Lite in the 4+1, but the places i found them charge more than i want to pay. Anyone know where i can find them or the Sport Alloy in a 4+1 for a good price? Help with either would be appreciated.

fearlessfred
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
off setting the fronts outward is a bad Idea .it makes for a bad handling bike.use a arms instead.when turning the front tires pivot at the center of the tire. with outward offsets are used the tire pivits around its center and gives the wheel a mechanical advantage over the rider.the tires will seem to want to follow grooves in the terrain no matter what the rider input is.by the way this is not bumpsteer,that is a different animal

Scro
07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Bad idea, no matter which way you look at it. Flipping them actually go the opposite way from the 4+1.

Blodg
07-06-2013, 01:15 PM
4+1 is a great offset rim and is what I am running with my +2 a-arms but as Scro said it is the opposite of flipping the stock wheels. Flipping the stock wheels would be similar to a 1+4 offset which no one makes because it is a bad idea.

07RedRider400
07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
dont know why i typed 4+1 i meant 2+3, i know people with offset front rims on 400exs and z400s which i have rode and the leverage of the tires hasnt affected me, and many places such as dirt wheels have had project 400exs in which they had offset front wheels to help stability. 2+3 is what would be possible considering the stock fronts are 3+2. i just want a couple more inches of width in the front to help stability and dont want to buy new a-arms for $500+ since ill only have the bike a few more years. and i cant find aftermarket 2+3s either

JOHNDOE83
07-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I wouldnt flip the stock front tires its just not safe, the part where the lug actually sits in can actually pop off the rim with the added stress.

I had the same issue and actually flip my rims all the time for different riding conditions.

You have to buy after market rims, and put the lug nuts on backwards or buy lock washers and new nuts instead of the factory lugs.

Other then that you wont have any issues fliping rims unless you have 10in front rims, if you flip them to make the front narrow they will hit the brake caliper.

If you get the 10in rims, they will have the wider offset automatically.

Extended hubs and flipped stock rims just arent the answer.

Zakradu398
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Everytime someone flips rims or uses spacers. A heavenly being kills a kitten, I swear.

BIGTEX400EX
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Flip them, it's the best mod for the 400.

edit: Whoops, don't flip them, its bad.

ben300
07-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Everytime someone flips rims or uses spacers. A heavenly being kills a kitten, I swear.

same with wheel spacers...everytime someone uses them...god rains the warm hammer down on some little kittens somewhere

2001400exrida
07-30-2013, 11:15 AM
same with wheel spacers...everytime someone uses them...god rains the warm hammer down on some little kittens somewhere

i see this so much and i don't mean to argue, but for certain applications wheel spacers are just fine.

Extended hubs are what i run on the rear, but especially for flat track and tt racing there's nothing wrong with running wheel spacers on the rear. You won't be seeing jumps in tt and flat track and the only thing different between wheel spacers on the axle and an aftermarket wider axle is weight savings. I ran a stock rear axle with spacers for 2 years and never had a problem. On the front they are different, it does throw off the geometry. And for motocross and hard trail riding i wouldn't recommend spacers on the rear, but for flat track, they are ideal!

JOHNDOE83
07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
i see this so much and i don't mean to argue, but for certain applications wheel spacers are just fine.

Extended hubs are what i run on the rear, but especially for flat track and tt racing there's nothing wrong with running wheel spacers on the rear. You won't be seeing jumps in tt and flat track and the only thing different between wheel spacers on the axle and an aftermarket wider axle is weight savings. I ran a stock rear axle with spacers for 2 years and never had a problem. On the front they are different, it does throw off the geometry. And for motocross and hard trail riding i wouldn't recommend spacers on the rear, but for flat track, they are ideal!

This is actually true, especially for lowering kits, I believe that wheel spacers and lowering kits both come with warnings.

"Not for jumping, flat track, TT and ice racing purposes only" at least when I bought them they came with the warning paper in the packaging.

There is nothing wrong with them as long as your not hitting jumps or whoops or tree stumps.