PDA

View Full Version : jetting issues

Bigpoppa
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
I know this topic has been beat to death but...
I am at a loss. I have an 04 400 with a fresh 440 sleeve 11:1 wossner piston HC2 cam full evo big gun exhaust and an insane performance alum air box no lid with a uni filter. I just installed an 04 450r carb and have been trying to tune it for days now. This is where I'm at #53 pilot. 4th notch on needle and 3 turns out on A/F screw and a 225 main jet. quad starts and idles great very slight pop pop out exhaust after a bit of deceleration. pulls very hard on full throttle exceleration. problem is I'm getting a white to very very slight tan plug.I was told that I can't buy main jets bigger than a 230.any advice would be awesome. oh BTW I'm running 114 octane.

Stickman400
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
If it runs on the 225 at WOT then your main is good, you could try throwing in the 230 if you want a little more seat of the pants power but your main is fine. 53 pilot would should also be fine as well as the 4th notch on the needle. You could try going back to 2 turns out on the a/f screw and then turning it out slowly and seeing if it makes it better. You also don't need to be running that kind of octane with 11:1, 93 is fine. You could even mix 93 and 114 in a 70/30 or 80/20 mix and make it 100 or so, but you deff. don't need full 114.

Bigpoppa
07-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks stickman I'll try messing with the A/F mixture as you know its not easy to get to. I'll also drain my tank and switch to 93 octane.

CJM
07-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Check for air leaks, that is indeed a huge jet. Are you sure the hotstart is plugged right?

Bigpoppa
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I plugged the hot start with rtv. it might be leaking I never checked it after I sealed it. I will fog it with propane and look for leaks

JOHNDOE83
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I plugged the hot start with rtv. it might be leaking I never checked it after I sealed it. I will fog it with propane and look for leaks

This sounds odd, but plug color doesnt mean anything unless youve actually cut the threads off the plug.

The color you see on a plug "without" cutting it open, is from the pilot jet and the needle jet.

Tan is ok, maybe move your needle up slightly to compensate.

With a 50pilot and a 450r carb my af screw was 3.5 turns out, after 3 is actually when you need a bigger pilot, Your pilot should be fine try 3 turns out and just leave it, your jets are plenty bigg for now.

I believe your chasing a problem thats not there, once youve gone over 200 on main and 50 on pilot your jetts should be fine for what you have.

Like CJM said its possible theres a air leak, check everything really well just to be sure.

If theres no air leakage Im sure youll be fine and your jetting is almost perfect.

On the 04-05 450r carb you cant just seal the top with RTV, theres also a small hole inside the carb port on the motor side that needs sealed also.

If you dont seal both holes "or" use hotstart parts there will be a slight leak, a leaky hotstart will make idle jumpy and will cause leaness throughout the rpm range.

JOHNDOE83
07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
We got cut off earlier, to ad to what was previously said.

Some Minkuni jets screw right in just like the kehin jets do, you can use the jet size converter on jetsrus if you really wanna go bigger then whats offered by kehin.

Bigpoppa
07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
thanks John Doe after we talked I put in the 230 jet and it runs strong and my temps are down. you were a huge help. thanks to all of you for your knowledge. now on to the suspension. any takers lol

Bigpoppa
07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
I ended up with a 52 pilot 230 main 3 turns out on A/F screw and #4 on the needle.the bike runs great and pulls real hard lots of power.I'm real pleased.

Bigpoppa
07-21-2013, 03:59 PM
blew another head gasket AGAIN today. now I'm pissed. my tuning is right on and my temp were down and I still blew another gasket. is head studs my answer or do I back down to a 426?

JOHNDOE83
07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
blew another head gasket AGAIN today. now I'm pissed. my tuning is right on and my temp were down and I still blew another gasket. is head studs my answer or do I back down to a 426?

Wow dude, another one?

That really sucks, at this point I would debate on doing studs or not to do the studs. My only issue is what if we tell you to do studs and it pops again, then its kinda like we gave advice on spending more money and it still leaked again.

Is it possible for you to post a pic of were its leaking?

Just to give some insight on what possibly to look for.

I once had one of those allen key screw heads on the cylinder head leak, it dripped down and pooled up around the head gasket on the right side of the motor, I thought I had a gasket leak but it turned out to be drip down from another bolt?

I also once bought a cheap gasket kit off ebay for my side cases, on the first ride I started gushing oil out of the right side case. Further investigation showed that on the gasket there was supposed to be a notch out for some strange oil passage way, once I notched it out and bolted it back together there was no more oil leak.

Zakradu398
07-22-2013, 12:54 PM
You need HD studs if you don't already have them. Stock will pull out cause they don't have enough meat.

Bigpoppa
07-30-2013, 08:42 PM
waiting for jug to be shipped back from gt thunder.