PDA

View Full Version : 400 starting to smoke need some opinion!!

forestbrian88
06-30-2013, 11:47 AM
My ex started to smoke a few days ago, i Rejetted it with Main:160 and pilot 42
it was running good and everything, so i dropped in my HotCam stage 2 in and i was wondering if the cam would of leaned my mixture at WOT since there is more air(higher duration and lift then stock) that flows with the cam?

just trying to figure out ill be installing new rings in it as it still fires at the first crank i give it
so im guessing jetting higher would be appropriate

whats your opinion??

Stickman400
06-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Just keep putting in a bigger and bigger main until it starts sputtering and cutting out at WOT, then back it down 1 size, then your main is jetted perfect. Your pilot is exactly what everyone uses on the stock 400 carb.

DragonGunner
07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Your cam doesn't effect the jetting....ya its taking more air...but guess what, its taking more gas with that air too.

matholland
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
+1...you shouldn't need to rejet with a different cam. Tear it down and check out the tolerances for the piston/cylinder...bet you need a new piston and rings.

forestbrian88
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
allright didnt had time to work on the quad since my last post... but i was wondering if the jetting(too lean) could of cause the earlier wear of the rings?
im actually away from home for work for a while... but was wondering if any Jetting experts around... and i know you guys told me lots and lots to try bigger untill it sputters... but i just want an opinion from someone who knows about it... I ride @ sea level, no moutains around here.... a few hills here and there but i go from around (+/-)100meters of sea level at maximum altitude change... running my stock bore 11:1 compression, with no air box cover, Uni foam filter, Stock 450R exaust and the 160Main jet would this sound too lean? temperature around here in summer reaches 32 degree celcius with humidex... i just want to know where about should i be so i can buy a few jets and see from there... dont want to be buying 100$ worth of jets just to find the right one if i can have a help to narrow down my order to maybe 5-6 jets, id apreciate your help on this one thanks!!

forestbrian88
08-27-2013, 04:59 PM
is this kit GENUINE Keihin packaged by EBC or are they replica?
http://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-CRK32B-99101-357-Carburetor/dp/B00AQPI4F2

CJM
08-27-2013, 05:10 PM
www.jetsrus.com cheap and good jets.

That isnt lean really, buddy has about the same setup but a stock exhaust and he runs a 160. Check your plug.

dwb_style
08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
i had a 05 400ex. smoked like a freight train but never lost any power and ran great but it was the pistion. id check the rings and piston.