PDA

View Full Version : Dot 3 or Dot 4 whats the diff??

99400ex
03-17-2003, 11:28 AM
i noticed i need brake fluid and i went to put some in and it said use only Dot 4. i have used Dot 3 in everything else so whats the difference between them? does it matter what i use?

Impala400
03-17-2003, 11:34 AM
i believe its just the heat ratings Dot4 can withstand higher temperatures

03-18-2003, 04:29 AM
also i think it is the resistance to moisture build up and the type of brakes. but use dot 4 in a quad

99400ex
03-18-2003, 09:08 AM
thanks. im gonna put dot 4 in it

KandK952
03-20-2003, 03:20 PM
i think you can use dot 3 as well. it recommends dot 4 but i dont think they is too much of a difference.

SGA
03-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Brake systems produce incredible heat. If you do not believe me, reach down and grab your rotor disc after hard braking. You will only do it once. Nascar rotor discs actually glow red on short tracks. The brake fluid cannot boil, or you will loose your brakes. Read this I found this on the net at a popular car site. It should explain it. SGA

Good Is Good?
What's the difference between brake fluids? I know the DOT in brake-fluid ratings stands for Department of Transportation, but what's the difference between DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5? I've even seen some containers that say they exceed both DOT 3 and 4. A friend says I should use DOT 5 fluid even if my owner's manual specifies DOT 3.
BILL LEDBETTER
VIA INTERNET

In the simplest possible terms, the higher numbers mean a higher boiling point (BP). So why wouldn't you want the highest possible boiling point? Because the higher-BP fluids are more hygroscopic--they absorb moisture more readily from the atmosphere, which in turn lowers their boiling point.

Most cars specify DOT 3 fluid, and most people should use it. If you live in the mountains, tow a trailer or brake hard frequently, switch to DOT 4. This is a simple matter of draining the fluid out completely and refilling the system. Then you should change the fluid semiannually or more often.

DOT 5 fluid, while legal for use on the highway, is really intended for racing. It's either a very fussy, highly degradable fluid that should be replaced often, or it's based on an inert, silicone fluid. I've had bad luck with silicone fluids, although other people I know swear by them. If you really want to use silicone fluid, you must rebuild or replace every single wet component of the braking system to remove every single drop of conventional fluid from the system.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-22-2003, 12:33 AM
i use dot 3.
i knew about the boiling point, and did it any way.
...stops fine...the average rider isn't putting that big of a stress on their brakes,

man i have a freind with a bike he doesn't give a s.... about.
he put streight 10w-30 OIL in his brake res...his works fine.
(220 bayou kawi...)

i personall wouldn't even think about it, but it does work.

Leo
03-23-2003, 02:07 PM
oil is incompatible with the rubber parts in a brake system..

they WILL swell in a short amount of time rendering the brakes usesless and making for some expensive repairs..

Leo

"BLAHH"300!!
03-23-2003, 04:38 PM
....yeah my bad, let me clear that up.
i don't recomend using oil, i was just saying i have a retarted freind with a bayou that put it in there once,.....
you can read more about that bayou in another post.

Quadfather
03-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
....yeah my bad, let me clear that up.
i don't recomend using oil, i was just saying i have a retarted freind with a bayou that put it in there once,.....
you can read more about that bayou in another post.

You have four grammatical errors in three sentences, and you call your friend retarded? That's funny.

TRX250XFIRE
03-26-2003, 06:45 AM
What does haveing grammatical errors have to do with any thing at all remotely related to this thread??? Hate to break it to ya Butchy but this is a fourwheeler site not Engish class. Who cares if he spells everything right or not.

Now something RELATED to this post, i have been running DOT3 for the past two years in my bikes with no problems, but the 3-4-5 question was always something i never got, thanks for the info

Quadfather
03-26-2003, 11:50 AM
I was pointing out the irony that he has no problem letting us know that his friend may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, yet, his grammatical skills leaves us with little doubt that he is not taking honors english. And by the looks of your post, it would appear that your riding time may be cut short soon, due to summer school.

TRX300X
03-26-2003, 04:06 PM
DOT 5 is usually used in hydrualic clutches on cars and trucks with manual tranny. Also all the DOT 5 I've seen was purple in color too.

03-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
i use dot 3.
i knew about the boiling point, and did it any way.
...stops fine...the average rider isn't putting that big of a stress on their brakes,

man i have a freind with a bike he doesn't give a s.... about.
he put streight 10w-30 OIL in his brake res...his works fine.
(220 bayou kawi...)

i personall wouldn't even think about it, but it does work. uhhh i have a boyou and there drum breaks, not hydraulic

SGA
03-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
uhhh i have a boyou and there drum breaks, not hydraulic
Does your quad have mechanical brakes? I mean, are cables run to the wheels from the handlebar levers, like on all Yamaha Blasters before 2003?
Many quads use drum brakes with hydraulics.

03-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Does your quad have mechanical brakes? I mean, are cables run to the wheels from the handlebar levers, like on all Yamaha Blasters before 2003?
Many quads use drum brakes with hydraulics.

mine are spring loaded, theres no caliper..theres a wire that goes from it and pulls on a lever on the break

SGA
03-30-2003, 06:03 AM
lrdrider1, I thought I caught you in a mistake, but you were right. I really thought bayou 220's had hydraulic brakes, but when I went to kawi specs, all bayou 220's have mechanical brakes. That must be a "special":rolleyes: Bayou his friend has, pouring 30 weight oil in the brake rezzie.
I bend over now for my swift kick to the rear.

07-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by SGA
lrdrider1, I thought I caught you in a mistake, but you were right. I really thought bayou 220's had hydraulic brakes, but when I went to kawi specs, all bayou 220's have mechanical brakes. That must be a "special":rolleyes: Bayou his friend has, pouring 30 weight oil in the brake rezzie.
I bend over now for my swift kick to the rear. ::kicks in arse::

yz250
07-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Dot 3 and 4 are a glycol base brake fluid they r hydroscopic wich means they will absorb moisture from atmosphere,that will cause the fluid to have a lower boiling temp.dot 5 is a silicone base fluid.moisture wont mix with this fluid,the only down side to 5 is it will foam up easily so be carefull not to shake the can .dot 5 is not compatable with 3&4 .