PDA

View Full Version : Old cylinder kit about to go, new one to arrive! Input, advice, whatever ya wanna say

250R4EVR
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
OK so to make a long story short i had bought a PROX Cylinder 68.50mm, i believe close to 265cc. The Cylinder was owned by a 250R Racing legend, and ran this on one of his many mx bikes during the late 90s early 2000s. Its got a wicked port job done by EP (ellsberry performance) and obviously ran flawlessly. Cylinder had only ever gone on my 85 short rod, so i am sure there was more potential to be had... I have another motor ( Paul Turner national long rod, Race dome, Hinson clutch, yukon tranny and cr250 ignition ect ...) unfortunately the cases need repair and its gonna be my winter project. So now here is where it gets really interesting...

This guy i met just so happens to know our retired racer and absolutely fell in love with my cylinder. I had sent it out to be all cleaned up, honed and piston matched because a bore just was not necessary.. Its got a brand new wiesco piston kit and literately was ready to fire ! just had to get myself some 113+R50 and she would have been ready to smoke. I've redone my quad over the winter, parts here, parts there, just got a little carried away and now i seriously wanna ride ... bad.. i mean real bad. my kx450 bike just isn't cutting it.

So my new friend left a 50$ deposit, said he would pay the first week in July and wed do the deal. So obviously ive been drooling all over new top ends, power kits, motors, everything lol I tore down my freshly rebuilt quad lol... since hes buying a few other parts also. So after looking everywhere, new, used, big and small i think i have found my new setup... please be honest, lets hear what ya think.

Talked to Tom @ ESR and im getting a 310pv, hes doing a light low-mid port for free but ill be having it redone obviously by this one dude everyone knows on here.. think his name starts with a N lol Anyways my Quads a full mx, but i have TT tires to rip the local roads here and there. Im not racing it anymore, just out to have fun now. So anyways... 310pv, Race gas dome on a Short rod lower end. Its fed by a 38mm AS with a Duncan pyramid Valve, and theirs a stock ignition on this motor. ESR wants me to buy one of there pipes and honestly are giving me a deal that i just cant pass up, its almost unbelievable. i think its a TRX5 Pipe, mid range and silencer.. Not a center mount, i want an air box lol. So what do you think ? Ive never owned a big bore, nothing over 270cc and also i have never had a power-valve. lol

Whats everyone think ? PV/ Non PV ... My cases arnt bored so i cant go bigger, and im on a budget. I've already spent so much money this year on her that im gunna have a legit breakdown if it don't run soon.. I've always liked CT and Sparks Pipes, but if i went ESR shouldn't i stay with there pipe ? I've mixed, matched, shortened.. so many different combos in the past. butt Id get a better deal if i bought there pipe and my Paul Turner that's currently on the bike is going with ! So i need an exhaust..

any input would be cool, negative, positive w.e lol just don't talk trash.. ill tell my girlfriend...shes legit crazzy and will blow your quad up :)

Evan

etccb
06-28-2013, 08:18 AM
The trx5 is the best all around pipe you can get. Better then the rest listed. Go pv on a 310. If they are going to do their port to it like you said put it together and run it. You may not want to spend any more money on it for now or... You said you are on a budget, run it to see what you think first and you may decide to spend your left over budget on something else.

rablack21
06-28-2013, 09:40 AM
I have the ESR 310pv myself and like it quite well. Mine has the the TRX9 porting with sparks mx pipe, pump gas, 38mm A/S and it runs pretty good. I do think it would run quite a bit better though if Neil ported it. I have also heard good things about the TRX5 pipe, just not sure if it is better than my sparks mx pipe. Sounds like you got a good build there.

250R4EVR
06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
The trx5 is the best all around pipe you can get. Better then the rest listed. Go pv on a 310. If they are going to do their port to it like you said put it together and run it. You may not want to spend any more money on it for now or... You said you are on a budget, run it to see what you think first and you may decide to spend your left over budget on something else.

That's what the guy from ESR said after I told him I was thinking about having someone else port it.. He said run it the way it comes then if you don't like the feel go from there... I was kinda thinkin he was just trying to speak well of there port work, but now that you mentioned the same thing , maybe I'll try it ! I am by no means looking for something crazy, I'm not a pro, not racing .. Just looking to get out there and hit some jumps.. Maybe the money I save can go towards my aftermarket frame .. I want a cr500 setup pretty bad :/

Burns310r
06-28-2013, 12:12 PM
That's what the guy from ESR said after I told him I was thinking about having someone else port it.. He said run it the way it comes then if you don't like the feel go from there... I was kinda thinkin he was just trying to speak well of there port work, but now that you mentioned the same thing , maybe I'll try it ! I am by no means looking for something crazy, I'm not a pro, not racing .. Just looking to get out there and hit some jumps.. Maybe the money I save can go towards my aftermarket frame .. I want a cr500 setup pretty bad :/

You would love a CR500 suspension setup.... Its da bomb...

250R4EVR
06-28-2013, 03:14 PM
You would love a CR500 suspension setup.... Its da bomb...

I've never riden an R with a CR500 setup. One time I road a 250R hybrid with a no link setup, it road well also.. I have so much travel with the roll design front end, seems like I need to get more in the rear now !

blueball
06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
raced a friends quad with the cr 500 rear one time,it was sweet