PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake rotor hub removal

OZ-T
06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I am to a wits end, what's the secret to getting this thing off? The tutorial video I watched it just came right off, on a nice new quad, but mine is a 2002 and I doubt the rear end has ever been taken apart during it's 12 year life so it must be seized on. I broke all the ears off already trying to get it off to a puller, anyone have any ideas what I should do other than torch it off?

DragonGunner
06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
You loosened the 2 locknuts...and removed the stopper ring ...right? Then removed them? Then apply a good rust breaking lube all around the area....take chain off sprocket, jack up and tap the brake side axle with mallot or such driving the axle out through the brake rotor.....tell me you didn't brake the ears off with a puller.

OZ-T
06-27-2013, 10:00 AM
You loosened the 2 locknuts...and removed the stopper ring ...right? Then removed them? Then apply a good rust breaking lube all around the area....take chain off sprocket, jack up and tap the brake side axle with mallot or such driving the axle out through the brake rotor.....tell me you didn't brake the ears off with a puller.

Did all that. Even PB blaster couldn't penetrate it deep enough. It's on there so good as if there are invisible welds in place. No worries though, I ordered another hub ahead of time.

on the rocks
06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
well if you have another one on the way and you don't mind breaking this one, as if you see no way its coming off in a reusable piece then i would put a deep score in it with a grinder with a cut off wheel, then hit a wedge/chisel in that score to crack it the rest of the way. with that added clearance from the crack the collar could be free to come off. if not do the same 180 degrees from the first and remove the hub in 2 pieces.

aluminum expands 1.5 times faster then steel so heating the hub will give you extra clearance over the axle to remove the hub. if you have no access to a grinder you can still do this now. light tapping around the hub towards the center of the axle (in relation to the diameter of the axle) can also loosen corrosion.

CJM
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Its called a hammer, dont be too gentle with it.

Chances are if it wont come off all that easy your carrier is toast as well.

2001400exrida
06-27-2013, 02:02 PM
take a 2x4 or a similar piece of wood, with the axle still in the carrier, put the 2x4 between the carrier and the rotor hub and start pounding this way you're not smacking the rotor hub directly with a hammer, you can use the 2x4 to hit the base of it. I've had a couple on the 400ex's that are pretty rusted on there, but usually with some blaster and a 2x4 you can pound them off.

the worst way to do this is to try to pull the axle out of the carrier with the rotor hub still on there. you don't want to force the rotor hub against the carrier trying to pound on the axle, that's not a good method. keep everything in tact (except axle nuts) and get that hub of first while the axle is still tight in the swinger. this way you can get good leverage on the thing and like i said a 2x4 works great.

watch this video at the 3:10 mark you'll see how to do it easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJayZXps28

OZ-T
06-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Its called a hammer, dont be too gentle with it.

Chances are if it wont come off all that easy your carrier is toast as well.

Already tried that. My new carrier from SuperATV came in today so I am not worried about the old carrier.

OZ-T
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
take a 2x4 or a similar piece of wood, with the axle still in the carrier, put the 2x4 between the carrier and the rotor hub and start pounding this way you're not smacking the rotor hub directly with a hammer, you can use the 2x4 to hit the base of it. I've had a couple on the 400ex's that are pretty rusted on there, but usually with some blaster and a 2x4 you can pound them off.

the worst way to do this is to try to pull the axle out of the carrier with the rotor hub still on there. you don't want to force the rotor hub against the carrier trying to pound on the axle, that's not a good method. keep everything in tact (except axle nuts) and get that hub of first while the axle is still tight in the swinger. this way you can get good leverage on the thing and like i said a 2x4 works great.

watch this video at the 3:10 mark you'll see how to do it easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJayZXps28

Thanks for letting me know about that trick. If only I knew about it before the hub broke, but now I know and will definitely be doing that next time!

Blodg
06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
With routine maintenance it will come right off next time! Grease up the hub splines and new carrier real good during install and every winter or two remove the axle and clean/grease everything.

OZ-T
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
With routine maintenance it will come right off next time! Grease up the hub splines and new carrier real good during install and every winter or two remove the axle and clean/grease everything.

I was already planning to do that, but I am the second owner of this quad. If it was mine from the getgo this wouldn't be a problem. Am very good at keeping my machines top-notch maintained. No worries, I plan to really grease the heck out of everything when I put it back together. Take my axle out and clean it real good in my solvent tank, maybe even paint it as well, idk yet. Thanks for the tip! :D

powerbomb400
06-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Use Permatex anti-seize also and it will just slide off.