PDA

View Full Version : Glamis, Where to camp Easter Weekend?

Jason69
03-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I want to take the My family & friends to Glamis Easter weekend. I've only camped with my buddies at wash 10 Veterans Day weekend and it was too crowded for kids, where can I camp that is not crowded? I have a four year old and a few other kids with small quads.

AZblaster44
03-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Try Gecko Rd, there is an open area b4 you get to the dunes and the sand drags aren't to far away depending on how far down the rd you camp. I suggest getting there early though most of the spaces are taken by friday afternoon on busy weekends.

maverick
03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Park as far away from oldsmobile as you can get. all of the lazy people will be at the hill. If i were you id try to get a spot close to the restraunt.

You can always take the kids to buttercup, smaller dunes, less people.

Str8Wicked
03-18-2003, 06:13 AM
I hate taking my son on holiday weekends.. To many a holes out there with no respect for anyone... I don't like taking a risk with my sons well being.. you may want to roll to buttercup or even dumont.... Off weekends in glamis are the best to take your kids....... just my 2 cents...

dariusld
03-18-2003, 10:39 AM
I know you said Glamis, but if you want a good kids spot go to Gordans Well. I go to sleep early and its nice and quite. There are so many spots where no one is riding, especially on non-holiday weekends. And if you want it really mellow, go to to Ogilby.There are a bunch of small dunes not far from camp and flat areas. Its just kinda far to get to the big dunes. But its really quite here. I let my kids go off by themselves and not worry about some Banshee running them over or even worse a long travel buggy. I like Gordans better than Buttercup and Buttercup gets more crowded.

Jason69
03-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks, That sounds Great, I’ll look into Ogilby. I was thinking of driving down sand wash rd. Wash 10 is like 2 miles in and I know a motor home can make it… Can a motor home go ten miles in following the RR track??? Is that about where Ogilby is??

dariusld
03-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I take the 8 to Ogilby Rd. go left, go till your about to cross the railroad tracks, if you cross the railroad tracks youv'e gone to far, and its on the right side. There is a sign there and a little graveyard. Then you take a long trip on a bumpy, narrow road, some gravel, some sand. Motorhomes have no problems. You hit the pay booths and keep going straight. The dunes are straight out. These are just small dunes. To get to the big dunes, you are going to have to go on a medium to long ride. Iv'e gone the way you mentioned once, its really long that way. I went to Glamis and all our regular camp site were closed off, so we drove over to Ogilby from Glamis. But I'm not coming from L.A. either, I'm really bad with directions.

Jason69
03-30-2003, 06:52 PM
How is it around wash 18 to 20? or so...

Str8Wicked
03-31-2003, 04:44 AM
never been out that far in the washes....

iride440ex
04-01-2003, 02:38 AM
Go down to wash 40 we camp there all the time it is right across from the tower on the railroad tracks I think they use it to inspect the railroad cars as they go by. Nice riding for kids and away from the dust and noise (except when the train goes by) about a 30 to 45 min ride from Ogilby road to wash 40. A motor home will make it in here the wash numbers are painted on most of the railroad bridges
Tony

Jason69
04-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Great, Thank You!!!

Is Wash 40 in between wash 20 and Oglby?

Store... Wash 10... 20... 40... and then Oglby??

Thanks

iride440ex
04-01-2003, 08:50 AM
Store... Wash 10... 20... 40... and then Oglby. I will try and get you a pic of a map when I get home
Tony

Jason69
04-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks, So you estimated 30 to 45 minutes from Olgby to wash 40. so is it also 30 to 45 minutes from Wash 40 to Olds... or say the Store.? I am hoping i'll be able to take my wife to Olds. without tacking a journey. That way we can do the whole trip in a couple of hours.

iride440ex
04-01-2003, 03:55 PM
About 30 to 45 min from wash 40 to the store down sand wash road depending on how fast you ride :D should be a good ride for you and your wife.

Tony

iride440ex
04-01-2003, 04:21 PM
click here to see map:glamis map (http://www.glamisinfo.com/picts2/maps/glamismap.gif?view=article&article=73)
you will be across from china wall on the map just north of central closure 2

Jason69
04-01-2003, 04:37 PM
That sounds great, I have always wanted to check out China Wall.

Are the dunes closed by wash 40? It looks like it's open according to the map. somone said it closes around wash 24 and all you can do is drive up & down wash road and not go into the dunes past wash 24???

iride440ex
04-02-2003, 02:11 AM
At wash 40 you can ride in the dunes try to find the signs that mark the closed area and ride along them and it will take you towards china wall

Glamis400ex
04-06-2003, 11:24 AM
I second Ogilby Rd. Camp near the tower so you can always find your camp. Lots of baby dunes for the beginner rider and no one there on a "off weekend". No facilities though, you'll need a camper.

Glamis

400grl
04-14-2003, 05:50 AM
I love Ogilby......there is actually ALOT to do if you camp there....you can play in the little dunes...you can ride to Patton hill and race it....you can ride to Test Hill and race it, day or night - Test Hill at night is really fun to watch....you can head over to the drags around 5pm (the ones by Gordon's Well)...you can make the trip on the Sand Hiway to Glamis/Olds...see everything up there.....you can bowl the big dunes between Patton and Test Hill........and you can camp without fear of someone plowing through your campsite at 4am.......you can ride over to Pair-O-Dice if you want a burger or something.......Ogilby is cool.