PDA

View Full Version : boyseen rad valves

sameltoe
06-21-2013, 10:05 PM
I am thinking of trying the rad valve instead of my duncan pyramid and my upp intake. I've seen some post about #'s on the side. Whats the down low?? Do I just want to order one for a trx? Or is their a superior style? And do they come with the RL-19 style reed pedals? Or is that an up grade?

Thanks

mx91a
06-22-2013, 06:11 AM
The two rad valves that will fit our R's are the RAD-04A which is the TRX model and the RAD-02B which is the CR250 model. The difference is in the length of the intake tube, with the CR model being shorter which will make mounting the carb harder if you are running the stock airbox and intake boot and no reed spacer. I you are running a larger than stock carb and want to use the TRX model RAD valve get replacement boot RB-1 which is for 38mm PWK carbs. The RAD valves come with the carbon fiber reeds.The RL-19 reeds are fiberglass and a downgrade in performance but are supposed to last longer. I've been running the TRX RAD valve for almost two years now with the carbon fiber reeds that came with it and haven't had a problem but have a set of RL-19 reeds hanging up just in case.

sameltoe
06-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Thank you, perfect!

troybilt
06-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Sam, I think I have a couple spares, 2-3 of them. If you want to try one to see if you like it, before you spend money. If you do like it I can hook you up. LOL!

Pumashine
06-22-2013, 06:48 AM
That is a very informative post mx91a. Glad there are smart people on this forum!

Hey Sam, I have been running them for years now. Used to have them on all my motors. In time the carbon fiber that hits against the intake manifold walls starts to deteriorate. I have once had the whole reed break off and go through the exhaust like Troy did the other day. Other times the edges start to deteriorate and you will need to replace them. Just need to check them every few years. Usually you will see it at your next rebuild time. Other ones last much longer. This damage to the carbon fiber can be helped by the use of a reed spacer.

I have replaced my motors with Puma's and Pilot cylinder. I probably have 3 of the rad valves I am not using. So if you want one let me know.

Burns310r
06-22-2013, 08:19 AM
That is a very informative post mx91a. Glad there are smart people on this forum!

Hey Sam, I have been running them for years now. Used to have them on all my motors. In time the carbon fiber that hits against the intake manifold walls starts to deteriorate. I have once had the whole reed break off and go through the exhaust like Troy did the other day. Other times the edges start to deteriorate and you will need to replace them. Just need to check them every few years. Usually you will see it at your next rebuild time. Other ones last much longer. This damage to the carbon fiber can be helped by the use of a reed spacer.

I have replaced my motors with Puma's and Pilot cylinder. I probably have 3 of the rad valves I am not using. So if you want one let me know.

I have ran into that with my Vforce3's... THey open up so much they get into the throat of the reed housing and start to wear the corners off and break reeds. I ended up with a .5" spacer on my to stop it from happening.

I run a boysen rad valve on my XC bike and a Vforce3 on my MX bike and i really dont notice a lot of difference between the two. One bike makes more power, but i have a hard time feeling any difference in reeds because i have ran both combos on one of my motors. One thing nice about the rad valve is that it has the larger boot that works with larger carbs.

sameltoe
06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow! Thanks Troy, Puma! I'll be intouch with one of ya's... just got back from riding and I'm beat! But I had to check the sites lol

06-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I am running an OEM CR250 reed cage in one of my 250R's. I'd go with the CR250 Rad Valve with a reed spacer.