PDA

View Full Version : 250r help super lost and very frustrated

dustin250r312
06-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Ok, I purchased a 250r from a guy I know, R wasn't in the best shape but it had a new rebuilt motor, so I rode it, it ran great, and I got it for a decent price, and began at 19 years of age to redo the rest of the chassis and fix his mess. I did smell a small amount of coolant when riding so with some research, I had the radiator checked, the water pump rebuilt, and for safe measures installed a head gasket. My problem no is, as I posted in another post, after getting it all together, looking nice, dumping money I probably shouldn't have, it floods, out the exhaust flange, so I replaced the carb, which was a round slide off a 85 ATC I believe, with a completely stock 86 carb, complete rebuild kit, new reeds, and to my disgust, still, same problem. I'm lost, and where I live, no one has a clue on how to help me other than two local shops who's mechanics have never worked on a R. Any ideas??????? I'm ready to throw it or light a match period!!!!

Motofool250r
06-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Ok, I purchased a 250r from a guy I know, R wasn't in the best shape but it had a new rebuilt motor, so I rode it, it ran great, and I got it for a decent price, and began at 19 years of age to redo the rest of the chassis and fix his mess. I did smell a small amount of coolant when riding so with some research, I had the radiator checked, the water pump rebuilt, and for safe measures installed a head gasket. My problem no is, as I posted in another post, after getting it all together, looking nice, dumping money I probably shouldn't have, it floods, out the exhaust flange, so I replaced the carb, which was a round slide off a 85 ATC I believe, with a completely stock 86 carb, complete rebuild kit, new reeds, and to my disgust, still, same problem. I'm lost, and where I live, no one has a clue on how to help me other than two local shops who's mechanics have never worked on a R. Any ideas??????? I'm ready to throw it or light a match period!!!!

okay slow down here, it floods out the exhaust flange what is coming out of here? dark black oil? coolant? un burnt fuel?

likely the issue is your jetting if the motor is in good condition.

lets start with a few things, can you take a picture of what is happening the flooding?

what are the settings on your carb what Pilot jet, what main jet, and what needle? where are you located and what is the elevation?

does it ride around okay just seem un responsive? or slow?

Pumashine
06-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Goo leaking out the exhaust flange is normal for alot of 250r's. I put a new pipe on last week and after riding for the day there is a pool of black sludge sitting there for me to clean off. There is an exhaust gasket that used to come with the complete gasket kit that fits a OEM replacement pipe. But the big bore pipes are using o-rings.

dustin250r312
06-21-2013, 04:10 PM
okay slow down here, it floods out the exhaust flange what is coming out of here? dark black oil? coolant? un burnt fuel?

likely the issue is your jetting if the motor is in good condition.

lets start with a few things, can you take a picture of what is happening the flooding?

what are the settings on your carb what Pilot jet, what main jet, and what needle? where are you located and what is the elevation?

does it ride around okay just seem un responsive? or slow?

It's not the black stuff, it's actual gas, I cleaned it up, but can't get it to idle, it'll start, just won't run unless the throttle is about 1/8 to 1/4 open, idle/choke have no effect, won't rev, clean out and spark plug is completely soaked. It actually leaks gas, oil mixture out of the pipe. It ran when I took it out, which is what I don't understand, I didn't write down the jetting, but I put in whatever is in a stock jet rebuild kit. Motor is stock, .040 over, stock pipe and silencer, you would think it would at least idle I would think.

dustin250r312
06-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I live in Michigan if that helps, but at this point, it's so off, I could be in China and it wouldn't make a difference

supernutt
06-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Where are you at in Michigan? If you are close to me I can look at it for you?

RyanWsly
06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
If the problem is common to your engine I would make sure the reeds are closing down all the way. Sounds like it is rich on the pilot circuit because it won't respond to the choke, make sure the float height is correct, check your pilot jet size, & check the reeds is where I would begin.

rooster300ex
06-21-2013, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=dustin250r312;4337655]It's not the black stuff, it's actual gas, I cleaned it up, but can't get it to idle, it'll start, just won't run unless the throttle is about 1/8 to 1/4 open, idle/choke have no effect, won't rev, clean out and spark plug is completely soaked. It actually leaks gas, oil mixture out of the pipe. It ran when I took it out, which is what I don't understand, I didn't write down the jetting, but I put in whatever is in a stock jet rebuild kit. Motor is stock, .040 over, stock pipe and silencer, you would think it would at least idle I would think.[/QUOTE

Just what my kx250 did a few months ago. Pull ur carb and check the reed valves. I bet ya there is a hole in one of em of somekind.

troybilt
06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Also check the float height.

Motofool250r
06-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Also check the float height.

i would bet that your needle valve in the float is messed up imporperly installed of some sort or got junk in it.

take carb off and see if it leaks on the ground with the fuel in the on position.

the only thing that stops the gravity feed of fuel into your motor(from the gas tank) is the floats pressue on the needle valve.

dustin250r312
06-24-2013, 06:54 PM
ok, bought a different carb, probably not the right carb, think the guy ripped me off, lesson learned, same issue. So, I pulled the reed cage off again and inspected the reeds, no issues, didn't think there would be they're 2 days old, so is there any other issue that would cause raw fuel to enter the motor like that? We actually tried to pull start the bike today, gas on, fuel leaks out the exhaust flange, no firing, shut the gas off, and when it finally cleans out fires right up, sounds great until it runs out of fuel. I tried buying a digital gauge and set the float height to what I believe is 16mm, but either way, if the reeds are good, what else would cause this? If it's carb issues, does anyone have a stock carb that would work with my stock motor, without me having to adjust the float, clean out, rebuild, ect that they don't want an arm and a leg for???? I'm ok with jetting to get the best performance, but I can't manage that without the bike running of a good carb. Sorry, but this is becoming very frustrating.

thanks for your time

DezSled
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
There are people here to give advice on what you need to get running. You need to get the numbers off the jets in the carb. Your pilot jet and needle needs to be adjusted from the sounds of it. Believe it or not I'd bet the majority of members has had the same problem at one time...

dustin250r312
06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
ok, went back to the round slide carb, which it had on it when I bought it and it actually ran, 37mmthe jets are as follows
main jet - 142
slow or secondary jet - 52
air screw 2 turns out
needle second clip (from top)
reeds are new
I did some reading about setting float levels, so without knowing where or how to measure with the digital calipers I bought to get it to 16mm, I watched a youtube video on setting the float level, so I removed the bowl, attached a fuel line to the fuel input, blew into the carb while in the upright position and closed the float slowly by hand. I made a few tab adjustments so the casting mark on the float was even with the carb body when the float valve cut off the air flow, not sure if this is correct but there are a few discussions on this so that's what I did. Tried to start the bike, doesn't idle, and when the gas is on, floods out the exhaust flange some, so I let it sit all night, went out today, gas off, and first kick, fired right up, then died, turned gas on, and floods again??? I'm lost, the thing ran when I bought it, I smelled some antifreeze, so I had the radiator tested, no leaks, replaced the head gasket, piston is new, 40 over, no carbon on it yet really, all the jets are new, reeds are new, plug is new, carb has been cleaned twice, can't figure it out.

slainwarrior
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
That pilot sounds way to big to me.... I'd go all the way down to a 48 and see what that does for you.

dustin250r312
06-25-2013, 08:37 PM
a pilot would make it fold like that?? I think I'm going to look for a stock carb that's in the ballpark and go from there, I mean I think I'm all over the place with garbage and it doesn't run, by the time I'm done, I could have bought another good used carb and went and fine tuned jetting on a running machine, unless I'm looking at this the wrong way

250R4EVR
06-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear you think I riped you off ?! I drove an hour from home, to meet you 10 mins from your house. Sold you the stock 86 carb you were asking for . You didn't pay shipping or have wait a few days to recieve it. I nearly delivered it, at 8pm on a Thursday night. I cleaned it real well to make sure it was nice and presentable. Ran new vent lines because I thought the old ones looked aweful. Really wish I wouldn't have deleted the picture, maybe you can post one of it..

Guess you can't make everyone happy.. I would have paid you 80$ not to post something negative about me :/ Best of luck with the quad btw. After having them for over 10 years, I still have problems sometimes making mine run correctly.

..Evan

fearlessfred
06-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Glad to hear you think I riped you off ?! I drove an hour from home, to meet you 10 mins from your house. Sold you the stock 86 carb you were asking for . You didn't pay shipping or have wait a few days to recieve it. I nearly delivered it, at 8pm on a Thursday night. I cleaned it real well to make sure it was nice and presentable. Ran new vent lines because I thought the old ones looked aweful. Really wish I wouldn't have deleted the picture, maybe you can post one of it..

Guess you can't make everyone happy.. I would have paid you 80$ not to post something negative about me :/ Best of luck with the quad btw. After having them for over 10 years, I still have problems sometimes making mine run correctly.

..Evan even a brand new carb can screw up ,if you have debri coming from the fuel tank and holding the needle off its seat