PDA

View Full Version : air plane fuel

honda250xrider
03-17-2003, 08:09 AM
i know some of you dont recommend using this but i can get it very cheap. I am wondering though is it alright to run straight airplane fuel into my quad, or should i mix about 1 gallon of 94 octane with every 5 gallons of airplane fuel or so, thanks alot

lance

Ex'r Marlin
03-17-2003, 08:15 AM
What engine modifications do you have done?

From what I remember reading about aviation fuel, the fuel is designed for low rpm engines. I do not know what the airplane rpms are to compare.

Anyway, I have heard of motorcycle/atv riders using aviation fuel... I just do not know all the negatives.

GrounD PoundeR
03-17-2003, 10:23 AM
I wondering myself since I'm planning on putting 11.5 to 12.5 compression piston in if it will work. Cheaper than buying that 114+. Chad is paying 6.75 a gallon.

ill_lil_romey
03-17-2003, 11:13 AM
When my 416 gets back I will be running aviation fuel at 12:5:1.If I run it straight, it will be to dry, so you have to mix it with marvel mystery oil. It's like a teaspoon per 3 gallons if im correct.

lex luger
03-17-2003, 01:01 PM
avation fuel in a wheelere motor, esp. a 4stroke, NOT GOOD, most are HIGH in lead, mix that with 94, your sure to ping, unless you can probably retard the timming, but carbon and lead will eventually build up...

jchevy
03-17-2003, 02:01 PM
I know a lot of people with some expensive high performance goodies and straight aviation fuel is all they run. Both 2-strokes(mix their oil with it) and 4 strokes

ZSK
03-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Airplane fuel or "AV-Gas" is high in octane but it is also leaded. Every once in a while my uncle who is an aircraft mechanic will get some and I'll run it in my truck ('56 ford). I've run 2-3 tanks through my wheeler and didn't hurt it. AV-Gas in actually designed and refined for HIGH rpm use not low. Airplane engines (turbo props, etc) run 3/4 to WFO 90% of the time. IMO I wouldn't run it in anything less than 10:1 compression ratio.

honda250xrider
03-17-2003, 02:32 PM
well i thought leaded gas helps to cool the engine down, or did i just read somethings wrong, but running the avation fuel where would it be a good place on finding out where to mix the gas with oil at because im just not sure about mixing the gas with some oil. its either this or race gas and i can get this much cheaper!

CoorsMan
03-17-2003, 02:40 PM
I run AV-gas I just just run 50-50. 50% AV-gas and 50% pump gas superunleaded. U need the pump gas to lube the topend.

JOEX
03-17-2003, 04:47 PM
How many of you that are using AV fuel are riding at 5000+ feet elevation? My understanding is that AV fuel is designed for vehicles that run in thinner air....i.e. airplanes.:rolleyes:
I belive it's the lead in the fuel, which is not in pump gas anymore, that lubes the valve seats . And i'm assuming the seats are hardened which makes leaded fuel unnecessary.
I'm no expert but i've read alot about this subject on this site several times over the 2 years i've been here.;)
As far as mixing, it might be possible that it'll work, but I don't know.
I think i'll stick with the recommended 92 octane:)

Joe

airheadedduner
03-18-2003, 05:18 AM
I read in an article that was written by one of the guys at VP Racing fuels that you should not run av-gas in ATV motors. Av-gas is designed for constant RPM use and does not like changeing revs. They make the **** I figure they know what they are talking about.

YZROOSTINYA
03-18-2003, 05:48 AM
lead is good not bad, except for the environment
lead helps to dissipate heat and damping the blow on the vlae seats and cylinder walls, resists detonation.....

as far as av gas there are many factors that go into it. i only run c-12 at 1 gallon to 4 gallons 93 in the summer at the track. otherwise pump only

ChadEXer
03-18-2003, 08:07 AM
I definately would never run AV gas in my quad!! Its just not made for ATV's. I paid way to much for my motor to take even a slight chance!!

chavez
03-18-2003, 08:17 AM
i might be wrong but av fuel is the cheapest to refine