PDA

View Full Version : Problem, I dont know whats happening here....

big_poppa49
06-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok so I got on my 400ex tonight and cranked it up and my headlights went dim. Let me describe exactly what its doing. When I switch to high beams all lights including tail light go out all together. When I switch it to LOW beam the lights work along with tail light but its got a "pulsing" flicker, if you will, while idling. When I revv the engine, the headlights quickly get brighter then go back down to WAYYY dim. Tail light acts the same as the headlight.

I have a new battery in it that I put in last year and its been doing fine. I remember one time I had a battery cable come loose and at idle the lights were dim but then when at a high rpm would be bright. In this case at high idle the lights are very dim.

Whats wrong here???

Here is a video if you are able to view it
http://s457.photobucket.com/user/big_poppa4904/media/20130616_205841_zps7b7b5221.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

BlasterEaten250
06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
I am not a huge electrical person but that almost sounds like a stator problem to me.

Stickman400
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Yea, that sounds stator related since it's getting brighter when you get on it and then goes back to normal when it idles. I'm not an electrical man either so just guessing here.

forestbrian88
06-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Id say rectifier
if you want to know for sure what is your problem
just start the quad check your voltage at the batery with a Multi-meter (should be getting something over 12)
if not then its either the stator or the rectifier, so to narrow down the problem, with the quad still runing just unplug the battery if the quad still runs your stator is good and you need a new rectifier, if it stops then you need a new stator, and i would double check this after you install a new stator to make sur your quad is charging and that you didnt get a bad stator

big_poppa49
06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Ok, battery tests at 12.9v, so no problem there. I had to push start it because I now have no power at all. No neutral light or starter or anything. I also noticed one of the two fuses was blown down next to the battery. I replaced that fuse and it blowed again. So is this my rectifier for sure?? If so I will go out and pick one up.

Thanks for the help

Stickman400
06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Sounds like you got a bare wire or short somewhere then. If it blew it right after putting a new one in then it's deff. a short. And if you didn't know there is 2 fuses down there but only 1 is needed for the quad, the other is a spare.

big_poppa49
06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
but if the rectifier was bad does that make too much power go to that fuse? Thus causing it to blow? Im a dummy when it comes to electrical stuff. How can I tell if its a short or the rectifier? It looks like I can pick up a good used rectifier off ebay for about $13 shipped. I have not priced the local Honda shop yet as they are closed on Mondays.

Stickman400
06-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't know, have to see what others say. I guess it could be possible but sounds like an odd issue because I've never heard of that happening.

OZ-T
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
I had similar problems with my headlights where the high beams wouldn't come on except dim but lows and everything worked fine. I finally had the guy I bought it from just hard wire them in so they came on all the time and now they work great and are super bright on high and lows. I traced it back to the switch I bought last winter, it's an aftermarket rebuilt POS that kept melting up the soldering from the heat the lamps made. Problem is solved now. But I'd check the switch and also the bulb sockets; lots of dust and other crap gets built up in there.

big_poppa49
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
the headlights are not the only issue, its the entire electrical not working, no starter, no neutral light, no nothing. something is wrong somewhere....

OZ-T
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
the headlights are not the only issue, its the entire electrical not working, no starter, no neutral light, no nothing. something is wrong somewhere....
Beats me, check the grounds I guess. If that's not it then the wires are probably just old. It's a 12 year old machine after all.

big_poppa49
06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
whoever said that to check the stator to start the bike and un hook the battery and if it cut off then the stator is bad. Is this a true way to check the stator?? Im still stuck on this. I can push crank the quad and it runs fine. While its running I have low beam headlights, but no high beam. And it still even on low beam pulses like they are running off the motor power.

I have made certain that the Rectifier is fine, I took the rectifier off of a Recon (exact same rectifier) and same thing is happening, it keeps blowing my fuse next to the battery

Any help is greatly appreciated

forestbrian88
06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Like i said earlier... to check the startor unhook the battery with the engine still runing...
but with your fuses that keeps blowing i doubt your rectifier and stator are bad..
You have a short... and check your DIODE... this prevents the Overflow of Hight current to travel in all direction when the starter is used....
if your diode is bad... this can blow your fuses...
and More comonly a short in your wires...
Tear appart your Harness and Inspect your wires... and do the proper maintenance on it... its worth it i did mine and solved lots of issues and helps futur troubleshooting when you know in what shape your harnesse is in...

big_poppa49
06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Well, I dont even have to kick in my starter for the fuse to blow. I put in a new fuse, turn the switch on, then everything works except high beams, then after about 10 seconds the fuse blows.

But I plan to check all wires. Does this require all plastics (front) to be removed??

powerbomb400
06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
You have short in the wiring. Honda uses a dual stator. Which I'm glad myself. They will run without a battery unlike alot of the other manufacturers. I know on mine the wires around the solenoid had rubbed a bare spot on the wires and were causing me to blow fuses.

fearlessfred
06-23-2013, 02:06 PM
this really sounds like a bad ground connection at the batt or frame.does the fuse only pop when you turn the lights on

big_poppa49
06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
powerbomb400, where is this located on the machine?

fearlessfred, I have not checked to see if it only does it when the lights are turned on, but I will check that next, im out of fuses.

I have checked the ground at the battery and its secured nice and tight. I would hate to buy a new stator (expensive) if my problem may be something cheaper and simpler somewhere else. Powerbomb400, so what your saying with the dual stator is that that could still be my problem even though I unhook my battery and it still runs the stator could still be bad?

forestbrian88
06-29-2013, 01:36 PM
update??

Zakradu398
06-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, I dont even have to kick in my starter for the fuse to blow. I put in a new fuse, turn the switch on, then everything works except high beams, then after about 10 seconds the fuse blows.

But I plan to check all wires. Does this require all plastics (front) to be removed??

I bought my 400ex with an "electrical problem". I had the same exact problems as you and it was a bare headlight wire rubbing the frame. Piece of electrical tape and got a steal on my quad :macho

big_poppa49
07-28-2013, 02:10 PM
UPDATE! Well its been sitting for about a month now as I have not done a thing to it. I finally got around to getting out there and seeing if I could figure out whats wrong. I put in a new fuse and magically everything works now. Brights work, everything works and has not blown the new fuse yet. A friend told me his done this same thing and he took his solenoid off and let it dry out that it got moisture inside it and then it worked fine. I will say that when this all happened I had let the quad sit outside (it rained) for two nights straight. I normally keep in indoors. Could this have been my problem?? Have you guys ever heard of moisture getting inside the solenoid and doing this??

Zakradu, I noticed your sig says '46 Piper Cub. Im jelous man! I love planes! Although I do not have my pilots license, I do fly the R/C models. In which I have a gas powered large J-3 Piper Cub and just built a small electric J-3 Cub. Both built to scale just like the real thing. My dream is to actually ride in a real J-3 Cub. Want to give me a ride down here in NC?? I buy the gas!! :D