PDA

View Full Version : Build my motor

HondaRacing83
06-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Just lookin into it for the winter, motors not gone yet but by winter itll be time. So what do i want for a motor, im thinking wiseco 426 11:1, stage 1 hotcam, port and polish,crf timing chain, idk what else. i want a straight up powerhouse motor, but a reliable motor. i was doin some hillclimbs and the quad was just boggin and couldnt get out of its own way and that **** got real sketchy real quick. I want a good woods quad, but i want somethat that just rips up nasty hillclimbs because i go to wellsville and stuff and you know how crazy they can be. Lemme knowcwhat youvguys think i should do. Also i need some new cooling ideas, once the fins on my cylinder get caked in mud it runs real hot, real fast. it was running really hot and kept shuttin off yesterday on that pokervrun

CJM
06-09-2013, 07:50 PM
402, 11:1, stage 2 hotcam, porting if you want. Stage 1 will make it fall on its face in higher rpm

Bore size doesnt equal much power, your talking about going up sizes that are so small it doesnt effect it all too much. Plus why waste a bore size? Id also put an 04-05 450r carb on it too.

Id suggest a spal fan and an oversized oil tank if your worried about cooling.

400man
06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
I like a lightened flywheel, makes it rev up quicker and feel more responsive. I got one on mine and I love it, but some people say it makes it stall easier,

HondaRacing83
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I dont know if i wanna go so small as a 402.. I was confused as to a stage one or two hot cam. Tell me more about a lightened fly wheel i dont know **** about them haha is it something i can do myself? i dont know if i wantva 450 carb i hear they are a real PITA and not real responsive and bog and hard to jet and when jetted correctly not that big of a difference. What about a stroker crank, whats your thoughts on that? and i dont wanna go to a spal fan yet, bigger oil tank will be next but what about a bigger oil cooler?

Stickman400
06-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Go 402. The difference between a 402 and a 426 will be so minimal that you won't even notice it. The power is in the compression, not the bore size, just as Marc stated. You don't want a lightened flywheel if you do a lot of trail riding at low RPM or like to poke along at a slow pace, it will stall, a lot. They only help in racing when you need the power to come on faster, not on trails where you need the torque and low/mid-range power. The 450 carb. would be the 2nd thing I would recommend to anyone wanting more power out of the 400, it makes a HUGE difference. Mine wasn't hard at all to install or jet, as long as you know what you're doing you're fine. Don't get a stroker, way too much money to put into it for what you are doing. And the SPAL fan and larger oil tank are the easiest to install to get more cooling, only if you need more cooling after that then you could install another or larger cooler. Chances are you won't need it though if you get your jetting right because you aren't running crazy high compression or an insane stroker motor in the desert where it's 100% humidity and 100° outside.

HondaRacing83
06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
My jettings spot on now its just the cylinder fins were getting caked up in mud and it was runnin really hot and kept shutting off and i noticed when it was muddy itd backfire ALOT even when it was cold, as soon as I washed it bam it doesnt backfire anymore. might pick up some air shrouds soon, even if they dont help much, they look cool and it cant hurt haha

Stickman400
06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
By shutting off do you mean it would just die? Because it shouldn't do that even if it is getting too hot, it would keep running until it seizes up. Just because it's getting a little hot doesn't mean the engine will decide it's had enough and kill itself. It's a machine, not a human, it'll keep running until something physically keeps it from running.

HondaRacing83
06-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes it would just die if i wasnt constantly on the throttle.

Stickman400
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I'd say it's something inside like the valves or something since it only does it when it's hot.

2001-400ex'er
06-10-2013, 03:32 PM
416 11:1
Stage 2 Hotcam
FCR or 450r carb
Good full exhaust and it will feel like a new quad

Blodg
06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
416 11:1
Stage 2 Hotcam
FCR or 450r carb

That is exactly what I went with this winter along with cleaning up the ports, HD head studs, and HD cam chain and am very happy with how it runs.

quadmanw
06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Go with the port and polish.. a good port job will make your quad rip with the 402 ad 11:1 piston. You will love it.

tayyo789
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
If it's dying like that when it's hot, something isn't right, and it's not just temperature related.

HondaRacing83
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Thats what im saying idk

HondaRacing83
06-15-2013, 09:27 AM
my valve seals are leaking would that have anything to do with it?

beastlywarrior
06-16-2013, 07:20 PM
That could be a coil going bad