PDA

View Full Version : Fox evol LT with +3 arms for cross country. Setup help

quadmad
06-09-2013, 04:13 AM
I just put a set off Fox Evol LT shock and +3 JD Performance a arms on my R and having trouble setting it up for cross country/woods rideing. Currently I am running 150psi in the Evol chamer and 50psi in the main champers and it is real bad to ride and really don't know where to start with setting the shocks up. It's there anyone out there that can give me a idea where to start with the setting up.

89trx250r
06-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Well what is your weight? Just to start try 165psi Evol and 26-30psi main.

quadmad
06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
My weight is 175

LT80
06-14-2013, 06:43 AM
I'd be calling Fox.

quadmad
06-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I am keen to hear from any guys running fox and what they are set at.

89trx250r
06-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Well I gave you settings and you never came back to tell me if they helped or made it worse...? You can call Fox but they will laugh as they don't make shocks for a 250r and they will tell you that on the phone. If you bought 450r shocks like I did they will not give you any sort of settings or anything because they say it will be wrong. I talked to one of their shocks builders on the phone and he repeatedly told me we don't make 250r shocks. If you want to learn about the shocks and how to set them up watch this video its the best I can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSp6k6kG1pk

D Bergstrom
06-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Are these Gen 1's or 2's? So you say it rides bad, how does it ride? To stiff? To soft? To harsh? Bottoms out easy? Need a little more info to really help.

The main chamber is used to set your ride height, so adjust untill you get that corect and then don't touch it again. When I used to run Evols's on my 450R, I ran around 40 in the main chambers. I would think the 250R may be slightly less, since it is a little lighter. Try 40 and adjust from there.

I weight 225 and I only used to run 120 to 130 in the Evol chamber, anything more then that and it would be so harsh on small stuff it was almost unrideable. I only ride desert so no big jumps, so I never needed high Evol pressures to help with bottoming. The reason I asked if you had Gen 1's or 2's is mine were Gen 1's, and was told they are harsh, hence the reason I ran lower Evol pressures. I hear then Gen 2's were better and you could run higher Evol presserues without them feeling harsh, but I have never ridden a set of Gen 2's to confirm.

Best thing you can do is experiment. Keep trying different settings untill you get something you like. I probably had more test time on my Evol's then any other shock I owned, I tried settings all over the place untill I found something I could live with. I do agree with 89trx250r, I wouldn't bother with Fox, they will just tell you we don't make 250R shocks so we don't know what settings to run.

Doug

quadmad
06-18-2013, 06:09 AM
I have not been out for another test yet as I sent the rear shock away to be serviced. It's interesting what Doug said about the evol being to high made it unrideable cos that's what my quad is doing. Very harsh over small rocks etc. the shocks are gen2

trx450racer0
06-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Your set up is wrong ur to wide in the front.for xc u need to be plus 1 total width should be around 45'wide give or take second send your shocks out to gt thunder( laz ) all my shocks are done by him and i never have a problem my 250r has axis all a round and my 450r r floats in front and stock revolve in the rear all done by gtt.floats can get tricky if u don't know what your doing.hope this helps ya. O AND FRONT RIMS SHOULD BE 4/1 OFFSET AND REARS 4/5 THAT'S WHAT I RUN WITH HIPERS.

LT80
06-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Your set up is wrong ur to wide in the front.for xc u need to be plus 1 total width should be around 45'wide give or take second send your shocks out to gt thunder( laz)

His machine might not be too wide. I've never seen (TV) that many tree's in Australia.
Australia is prolly why he isn't going to be sending them to Laz. LOL

quadmad
06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
It's 45" in the front with 4/1 off set. The rear rims are 4/5 offset but the 5" is to the outside which makes the quad wider in the rear than the front. So I am guessing I need to turn the rims around. Also on the bottom off the steering stem there is two different holes where I can put the tie rod into, I am guessing this with give me feed back through bars it it was wrong?

LT80
06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
The 2 different stem holes were prolly made to allow the stem to be used on different machines OR made to help bump steer.
As long as your toe-in is set correctly, I wouldn't worry about those holes.

fearlessfred
06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
It's 45" in the front with 4/1 off set. The rear rims are 4/5 offset but the 5" is to the outside which makes the quad wider in the rear than the front. So I am guessing I need to turn the rims around. Also on the bottom off the steering stem there is two different holes where I can put the tie rod into, I am guessing this with give me feed back through bars it it was wrong?with your setup you should be close to 50 inchs wide

troybilt
06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
For MX, I set my Fox's at 40 psi for main chamber, 240 for the evol chamber. Also 225 lb rider. Evol chamber main function is to resists bottoming. What are you set at on the compression? Set it at min compression setting and work your way up from there. High compression setting will make it unrideable.

quadmad
06-25-2013, 04:43 AM
Ok. On the ground it is about 48". In the main chamber I am running about 35. In the evol I am still playing. I have not done much with the compression yet but will try what you say on the weekend.