PDA

View Full Version : 450R will idle fine but when throttle is pushed it dies

tide2085
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
So my 450 will start and idle fine but when you touch the throttle it shuts right off. Here is what i have done first the problem started out that at about half throttle my quad would feel like its on the rev limiter and it would cut out. this happened within two days. It ran fine one night and then ran like this the next so i tried jetting in both directions and then tested electrical and the only thing i found was that the stator wasnt putting out the right voltage when i was testing it. It was suppose to be 80 volts and i was only getting 48 volts. So i bought a new stator and put it in today and now i have this problem. I tried air fuel and needle adjustments and nothing i tried with choke and still nothing. I have tested the tps and that was fine. I just have no idea where to go. I have also just reshimmed the valves the last time i rode. Here is a list of mods i have done too it.

2005 Trx 450R

Hot Cams stage 2
new stock valves and springs this season
ported head
curtis sparks 41 mm fcr carb
13:1 Hi comp wiseco piston
motoworks G2 full system
stock air box with no lid
hi flow oversized K&N filter

* New Stator

jaspurx
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Sounds ike time to replace stator or have it repaired. The made in CHINA stators we get these days are definitely inferior quality

tide2085
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I just put a brand new stator in today. I havent even been able to ride it with the nes stator because it does this

desratt
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I would check the throttle saftey switches.

CJM
06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
On another forum 2 members had similar issues. One had a bad CDI, other was a bad stator.

tide2085
06-07-2013, 04:32 AM
there is no throttle safety switch because its an 05 and Im going to try swapping out the cdi with a working one today. Do you really think after putting a brand new stator in that would be the problem? I know the stator was the problem when it seemed like it hit the rev limiter at half throttle but now that it wont run after idle with a new stator i think its something else but i have no idea what it could be?

blacknblue#2
06-07-2013, 06:23 AM
there is no throttle safety switch because its an 05 and Im going to try swapping out the cdi with a working one today. Do you really think after putting a brand new stator in that would be the problem? I know the stator was the problem when it seemed like it hit the rev limiter at half throttle but now that it wont run after idle with a new stator i think its something else but i have no idea what it could be?

There is still a throttle position sensor on the 05. Its on the side of the carburetor. It will run with it un hooked. Its free to unhook it and give it a shot.

tide2085
06-07-2013, 08:12 AM
I don't think I have one on mine because it is a Curtis sparks 41mm fcr carb. There is only one cable is coming off from it and its the Tps I have unplugged that and done resistance test on it and everything was fine but didnt help.

blacknblue#2
06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
ah ok sorry i missed that on your list...There is a chance you could have gotten a bad stator but most the time in my experience a stator is a run or not run situation. If you have played with jetting then im sure your carb is clean. What about all carb connections?? No leaks anywhere in the system? like a cracked intake boot or anything. Easiest thing to do is park a running quad beside it and start changing electrical one at a time.

tide2085
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM
so today i changed the cdi box with a working one and it did nothing then i tore the carb down completely and cleaned it out and still nothing tomorrow im going to take the new stator back out and try my old one again and see if it gets rid of this problem im having.Also I did a compression test and i got 108psi for pressure which is stock pressure but i have a hi comp piston but ive been told that the pressure doesnt change much between them.

tide2085
06-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I also did a compression test I have a wiseco 13:1 and I got 108 psi. That is what the stock pressure is suppose to be so i dont know if thats a little low but from what ive been told the compression doesnt change much between a stock a hi comp piston.

tide2085
06-08-2013, 09:21 AM
So i took out the new stator and put the old one pack in after cleaning the pick up which had a few metal shavings on it.. and it starts up and runs fine it must of been shorting out earlier.. But that new stator is junk.. never buy a caltric stator it was junk out of the box!! thanks for the help guys