PDA

View Full Version : Which Exhaust for a 426ex?

TeamC&GRacer
03-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Im running a 426 engine this season with je high compression piston and rings, sparks racing cam, and new springs. Which exhaust would i benifit from most racing mx this season?

chavez
03-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Duncan fat boy full system

ChadEXer
03-17-2003, 07:58 AM
TC, it will cost you the least out of them all, makes good power, and it sounds the best!

NTPRacing#19
03-17-2003, 10:17 AM
go with the curtis sparks x-6

sweet300ex
03-17-2003, 10:46 AM
sparls x-6 or LRD

maverick
03-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Stock head pipe with supertrapp silencer....I ran a big gun and the only increase i got was noise.

03-17-2003, 02:11 PM
TC....damn me and chadexer are the only ones that know our stuff i guess

shamisc
03-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
go with the curtis sparks x-6

Go with the X-6. It has explosive power throughout! I would get the stainless version though, the ceramic will look like $hit in about 2 months. It gets rustier than 56 ford that's been buried at the bottom of a rock quarry for 37 years! TRUST ME!! I'm on my 3rd X-6, and it's on the way to HPC right now to have a REAL ceramic coating put on. Sparks uses some bull$hit to coat his pipes with! :grr

lilpoppy
03-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Go with the X-6. It has explosive power throughout! I would get the stainless version though, the ceramic will look like $hit in about 2 months. It gets rustier than 56 ford that's been buried at the bottom of a rock quarry for 37 years! TRUST ME!! I'm on my 3rd X-6, and it's on the way to HPC right now to have a REAL ceramic coating put on. Sparks uses some bull$hit to coat his pipes with! :grr

I 100% agree with you. The ceramic coating is crap! Get the stainless and I gurantee you will love it.

mopar 400
03-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Any engine builders pipe is a wise choice. We have ran the Sparks X6 head to head with the Fatboy 4 and both are almost even. Good luck on the toghest decision in ATVing!

ChadEXer
03-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by fourzerozero
TC....damn me and chadexer are the only ones that know our stuff i guess True, True!! The only reason I really like the TC pipe, is because the fit and look of it is sweet, it is definately the best sounding pipe in my opinion. And the price of it is just about the same as the other pipes except you save money because you dont need another header that does nothng for your bike anyway!!

Extremeracer167
03-18-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
True, True!! The only reason I really like the TC pipe, is because the fit and look of it is sweet, it is definately the best sounding pipe in my opinion. And the price of it is just about the same as the other pipes except you save money because you dont need another header that does nothng for your bike anyway!!

EXACTLY, someone else tell this kid that u DONT need an aftermarket header. They arent going to do anything unless u have some headwork done. I def. say go with TC. Its a proven MX pipe. Afterall Gust, Luburgh, Creech, and most other pros running fourstrokes use his exhaust! Wise choice would be TC;)

ChadEXer
03-18-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
EXACTLY, someone else tell this kid that u DONT need an aftermarket header. They arent going to do anything unless u have some headwork done. I def. say go with TC. Its a proven MX pipe. Afterall Gust, Luburgh, Creech, and most other pros running fourstrokes use his exhaust! Wise choice would be TC;) Hey man, I have extreme drag porting done on my head and I still dont need a header!;)

lilpoppy
03-18-2003, 04:45 AM
You guys need to take it easy with the TC stuff. From what I hear they have the worst customer service in california and what is all this talk about not needing a head pipe? You are telling me that you don't get any power at all from a head pipe as opposed to a slipe on only? Come on.:huh

Extremeracer167
03-18-2003, 05:34 AM
u tell me that not even 1 horsepower gain is worth 2-300?? If u are that concerned about a .5 horsepower gain, spend some more of yuor time riding! Honda designed a GREAT header. And most engine builders will tell u that. Especially the ones that are honest. Whats the point of having a header that outflows the head? :confused:

Dune Surfer
03-18-2003, 12:51 PM
I recently installed a Duncan fatboy4 on my 426 and really like it. I gained alot more power and the quality is great. Customer service is also great. That might not be the case with TC and sparks.

Chef
03-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Hey man, I have extreme drag porting done on my head and I still dont need a header!;)

So your tryin to tell us that you arent flowing enough more air than stock to feel that the stock header is restricting?

RuffRyder400ex
03-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Sparks. All i hear is good things about them and it looks sweet to.

Dave400ex
03-18-2003, 02:37 PM
I have the TC and like it a lot, but you wouldn't go wrong with a Sparks, LRD, Duncan, or myself I like the full Yoshi...

Dune Surfer
03-18-2003, 02:54 PM
All of the builders have goog pipes, Chad thinks tc is god. I found like almost every other builder that a header really helped me.

lilpoppy
03-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Ok here is the deal the head pipe does make a difference period. If you are questioning if it is worth the extra money for the head pipe for a minnimal gain on a stock engine then that is a personal call but don't go around saying it does nothing. As far as the other guy goes saying he has porting and the header still does nothing how do you know that? Did you put it on a dyno with and without a head pipe? Those are rediculous statements.

ChadEXer
03-19-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Chef
So your tryin to tell us that you arent flowing enough more air than stock to feel that the stock header is restricting?
What im saying is that the torque the stock header adds is worth more to me than a tiny bit of top end that I never see on a drag strip anyway. The only racing that a header would be good for IMO is TT. Wide open all the time. My bike hasnt even almost been beat yet, Im knocking on wood as I say this but not even by Banshees. You can ask GrounD PoundeR, or 02EX Rider, or any of the other guys that have been to the drags with me and they will tell you. This bike makes everyone crap their pants when they see it run!!

lilpoppy
03-19-2003, 04:26 AM
I totally believe you because I have seen a 465 beat the crap out of modified banshees and 250r's but my question is how do you know that you couldn't gain more by adding a head pipe? Have you tried it? All I know is that my sparks complete exhaust made a huge difference an my quad and it was well worth every penny to me.

03-19-2003, 04:57 AM
The only reason I really like the TC pipe, is because the fit and look of it is sweet, :rolleyes: :D :eek2: :devil

Damn now you went and made me post in a "what pipe" thread LMAO.

Get which ever silencer (and head pipe if you really really have to) you like the looks and price of etc. If you can jet your motor right you will be happy with any one of them discussed.

Have fun

Extremeracer167
03-19-2003, 05:00 AM
i have tried it! The only one i found that works with the TC muffler is a Pro Circuit head pipe. And it didnt make any noticeable differance at all. Luckily it was a rusted piece of poo, so my buddy let me chop it and put it on. But i wasnt impressed with it at all. Since then, ill run the stock header:o

lilpoppy
03-19-2003, 05:23 AM
You tried some choped up rusty piece of crap that wasn't even made for that silencer hmmm......:huh

ChadEXer
03-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
You tried some choped up rusty piece of crap that wasn't even made for that silencer hmmm......:huh
Well actually you even have to chop the stock header to get it to fit with the TC pipe. Tom said he made it that way so he could have the longer megaphone midpipe in it. I would be lying if I said I wasnt a tad bit curious about trying a different header on my bike but it seems Like maybe Extreme cleared that up for me. I was trying to get one of my buddies to let me borrow his full LRD system when I go to the dyno,,,thats the only way to find out for sure!!

Extremeracer167
03-19-2003, 05:46 AM
even the Pro Circuit took a little rigging. But a pipe is a pipe, wether its rusty looking or not:rolleyes: lilpoppy, face it, the headers dont make that much of a a differance, call one of the toip engine builders and they will tell u the sae thing if they are honest. Heck u can even check the shootouts on the EXs. The headers didnt even make a full HP differance. The powerbomb is actually the only header that made a differance in the way the power came on. And even it was so small that it wouldnt be worth the $200 it costs. But this is my opinion, u can argue with me all u want, but my opinion sticks until im prven wrong. And that usually comes by riding a quad with a stock header, take it off and put on an aftermarket and feeling a big differance

knighttime
03-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
But this is my opinion, u can argue with me all u want, but my opinion sticks until im prven wrong. And that usually comes by riding a quad with a stock header, take it off and put on an aftermarket and feeling a big differance

Unless you change the jetting, your test would prove nothing. :eek2:

lilpoppy
03-19-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
Unless you change the jetting, your test would prove nothing. :eek2:

Exactily:blah