PDA

View Full Version : KTM EFI Thumb throttle conversion

Tacticzero
06-01-2013, 10:31 PM
I purchased a 2012 KTM 500 EXC-F from a flood auction where the frame and electronics were heavily damaged when a car sharing a garage with it floated ontop of the bike. After a fair amount of engine and electronics work I have the engine running outside the bike and ready to attempt a fitting into my Laeger CRF frame but I am stumped as to if I can run a thumb throttle safely on this thing.

Currently the bike is equipped with a twin push pull cable setup to meet the safety requirements from the vac lock slide carb era. Would the pull cable and return spring only work on a throttle body using a butterfly valve? Any suggestions on a thumb throttle unit?

JonA
06-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I purchased a 2012 KTM 500 EXC-F from a flood auction where the frame and electronics were heavily damaged when a car sharing a garage with it floated ontop of the bike. After a fair amount of engine and electronics work I have the engine running outside the bike and ready to attempt a fitting into my Laeger CRF frame but I am stumped as to if I can run a thumb throttle safely on this thing.

Currently the bike is equipped with a twin push pull cable setup to meet the safety requirements from the vac lock slide carb era. Would the pull cable and return spring only work on a throttle body using a butterfly valve? Any suggestions on a thumb throttle unit?

I have an 2011 kawasaki kx450 dirt bike an we put an 400 ex thumb throttle on it just went to the local dealership an spent an hour going through cables till we found one that would open the slide all the way, and it works great the slide always shuts without an issue

Justwin
06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Yamaha YFZ thumb throttle and cable (the FCR carb type) will work fine with the KX450F throttle body