PDA

View Full Version : 450 q's and stuff

HondaRacing83
06-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Pretty mad after today. Drove about 45min to look at a White 08 Kfx 450. Get there its a little rough but 2600 its cheap. rode it around and it sounded like the motor was knockin and the guys like oh its the skid plates rattling im like no i know what that sounds like because thats what my 400ex does. held the skid plate and you can tell its comin from the motor. the clutch was shot too so said think about it. went right down to my local dealer started up a new kfx and theres no noise im like hmm. pass on that and the guys like well its new mines not im like thats no excuse for it to be makin yhose kinds of noises he said even if there is somethin wrong so what if you had to put a grand in the motor its still a good deal like he knew somethin was wrong so passed on that. fought with people all day about 450s abd found a 2011 yfz 450x. $3500 i jumped on that. im an hour into ohio on the guys rode and he calls and says he cant make it tonight his girlfriend broke down in cleveland im like wtf man i was so pissed. turns out it had been rebuilt already abd was a 2011. so now that im 450 shoppin it comes down to THE question, whats the best 450? im a huge honda fan but the deals havnt been there. i liked kawis because i ride woods and they are fuel injected and have reverse but that 08 i rode just seemed gutless. i honestly think my 400ex has more *** end and way better bottom end like that kfx couldnt get out of its own way i was really dissapointed and i didnt think it handled too well and didnt have a real great turning radius. hondas dont seem to have problems. i dont know much about uamahas but a new one so cheap i was excited i thought it was gonna go home with me. but it makes me nervous that its already been rebuilt. id kike to stay away from ltr's because of the tranny issues and they are justt too wide for woods. i dont mind paying the money if its a good deal and worth it. im looking for the nicest, most reliable 450. i dont want sonething that has known issues. reliabilitybis the main thing and that its atleast worth the step up from my 400. if there anything like that kfx i might as well just build my 400 up haha at this point im just so frustrated with all this im about to say **** it and find a simple banshee since im lookin for somethin faster

CJM
06-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Yea Im biased as I like Hondas, but honestly the honda 450 has the best useable power out of the box as any of the rest. What it lacks is suspension so you gotta spend there if your a really aggressive rider. Ive ridden yfz's, the power is different-they are a high revving hp machine where most of your power is up top, havent really ridden the new kfx except once and I found it handles very twitchy up front.

Take your time and find the right one, I looked for one for over a year before I found the one I got and even then I found better ones (you always tend to find better stuff after you buy lol).

HondaRacing83
06-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Yeah i just really liked the fancy stuff like uel injection and reverse and electric start lol

wfo4rv
06-02-2013, 07:52 AM
i like the power of my zuk. but ive carbed all of mine cause their fuel injection sucks!

coryatver
06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Take a deep breath man. You don't have to have it right this second. It might take some time to find the right quad. Around nw pa from what I have found it is hard to find a used quad for a good price in decent shape there is a lot of junk out there that people think is worth way to much. Just keep looking and it seems like you know enough to pick the good ones from the bad.

As far as what you should get you already know a lot about all of them and know the positives and negatives so its up to you to deside whatever you want or whatever deal you come up on. The kawi like you described they are way down on power compared to others and the suspension geometry is bad for xc racing it does not allow you to get low enough seat height. But for trail riding they would be a nice quad and probably my choice. Suzuki are nice I wouldn't worry about the tranny problems you hear about or the width they will go just about anywhere but I do not see many around here but I would not hesitate to buy one. The carb yami is a great quad and still will run with anything out there. Not a fan of the new carb model cheap shocks, cheap carb and so on cost some money to get it up to par. The EFI yami is nice but there going to be expensive or clapped out. The honda is what I got and I would buy another. Motor is a power house and parts are cheap and easy to come by and its easy to find and Its simple (no efi) so I know how to work on it.

One thing you have to understand is these quads are not 400ex. You have to keep on top of the maintenance valves, bearings, always a clean air filter oiled properly, jetting, oil changes after every couple rides at least and whatever else that comes up to keep it running right. When I went to a 450 from 400ex it was a shock how much more work it is on these. Makes me miss my 400! If I wasn't racing I would definitly rather have a 400ex.

jcs003
06-02-2013, 02:10 PM
honda trx250r. the best you will get and one could be had for 3-4k highly built with great parts and set-ups.

john

HondaRacing83
06-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Me and my dad were talking about it today for awhile and cane to the conclusion i dont need a 450. after looking at beat ones and doing more research im not ready to take on that kind of maintenance might as well buy a 2 stroke. i ride trails more than i think im not a racer as of now eveb though i like to think i am haha. my dad told me if i want a quad he thinks a 700 raptor would be the way to go for more power and i dont dissagree but there so heavy. ive also been thinking about going the bike route. just buying a newer 125 ive akways liked bikes and want something different

01boneless
06-02-2013, 07:48 PM
boy you just cant make up your mind..lol

wfo4rv
06-02-2013, 09:23 PM
lol the maintenance isnt all that bad. just oil, air filter, lube/tighten chain, and valves during the season then tear it down at the end. I ride a raptor in XC/desert that is fully modded and the thing is a BEAST!

zyoung04
06-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Dont buy a banshee what ever u do. Yea their quicker than a raped ape and will climb any hill but are cheap built. Im Yamaha guy I've known some guys that had them and all they got done was work on them. If I was u and u wanted fi and reverse and didn't really want a kaw id look into those z400 their fi have reverse and there a very dependable easy to work on. Or a newer 400ex everyone knows a 400ex will will damn near run on water u can't hurt them.

HondaRacing83
06-03-2013, 05:04 AM
No i dont have anything against banshees ive had them at my house for a few days for whatever reason whether it be my dads or a buddys. I like em but they handle like ****. i dont want another 400, i have reverse now and could careless about fuel injection i hate the zukis and kawis there ugly. im lookin at bikes again lol

zyoung04
06-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't own a banshee if it was gave to me haha but that's me. I missed the part about u not wanting a 400o again. I think the kaws are sharp if their done right. The 250r would be sweet prob one of my dream quads.

quad2xtreme
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Bikes are way cheaper to maintain if you are including ongoing maintenance costs in your decision criteria. There are more skill points to learn with a bike...and you will have minor wrecks more often. Bikes require less time to clean up too...and you stay drier riding them.

01boneless
06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
^^ I agree with 2extreme to a exstint. I rode my mx quad for 3 years track only and just wasnt improving . got on my new crf250 with a thumb throttle and i can do everything i could do on my quad better on the bike including corners.

rf928
06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Yeah I rode quads forever, was gonna buy a YFZR (still might) but bought a ktm dual sport 350 and love it. Cheap to run and lotta fun, plus I can tear up mainstreet on my dirtbike... legally lol

HondaRacing83
06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
So i guess my mom has a problem with me getting a bike lol. Me and my dad were talking about bikes and my moms like your not getting a dirtbike and said all this stuff and how dad got hurt on one 10years ago im like wtf is it any different from what i ride now lol and then i stopped paying attention because her logic didnt make sense haha. but its back to sport quads! im open to suggestions, i have a 400ex. ill post a pic of it. but id consider one a little more race ready, but ive also been looking at raptors and 250r's. i really like 250r's but they are so expansive and i cant justify the price of something that old that doesnt even have reverse. idek what all else is out there im open to suggestions

HondaRacing83
06-03-2013, 06:04 PM
What i ride now
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/brandonsmith789/null_zps4e9e8cd4.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/brandonsmith789/null_zpscf89e0b5.jpg

ben300
06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
What i ride now
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/brandonsmith789/null_zps4e9e8cd4.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/brandonsmith789/null_zpscf89e0b5.jpg

send them peps out and the rear shock to gtt or greg's or dirt works or some place like that, get the gtt xc rear link, get it all set up for you, and you definitely find a new love for that machine. especially if your jsut gonna trail ride and poker run. just getting the rear shock redone with the gtt link completely changes a 400.

another idea, if you dont really want the maintenance of a 450 (even though its a similar motor) and you want reverse...i know a guy on another forum that you are a member of...QZone...that is selling one of the most complete built, xc race ready z400's iver ever seen..its a little pricey though

HondaRacing83
06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I mean id still like to run some races i talk about racing more than i do but i forsure will haha. offtopic but ben you and cory are around me, you guys going to the hopedale atv rally this weekend? its like a weeekend long poker run kinda. me and my old man and a bunch of others are going over saturday its in hopedale ohio about 2hrs from me. but anyways ive thought about keeping it but im more of wanting something with some more power its not that i dont like my 400 it just needs more. if i were to keep it this fall id be in for the big hit, a rebuild. valve seals are starting to go so it smokes a little on a decel. still untouched motor on an 8 year opd quad, impressive but thats just a 400ex. thats why i couldnt have a 450, im used to this stuff i dont even keep track of when i change my oil itll just hit me one day like oh i havnt changed it in a long time hahaha

wfo4rv
06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
put an hour meter on the quad and make a little chart. it is easy to stay on top of

ben300
06-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I mean id still like to run some races i talk about racing more than i do but i forsure will haha. offtopic but ben you and cory are around me, you guys going to the hopedale atv rally this weekend? its like a weeekend long poker run kinda. me and my old man and a bunch of others are going over saturday its in hopedale ohio about 2hrs from me. but anyways ive thought about keeping it but im more of wanting something with some more power its not that i dont like my 400 it just needs more. if i were to keep it this fall id be in for the big hit, a rebuild. valve seals are starting to go so it smokes a little on a decel. still untouched motor on an 8 year opd quad, impressive but thats just a 400ex. thats why i couldnt have a 450, im used to this stuff i dont even keep track of when i change my oil itll just hit me one day like oh i havnt changed it in a long time hahaha

no, i wont be going to the rally. i have a memorial 5k that i am going to be doing sat morning in oil for paul richey, the state trooper that was killed in the line of duty. and then im going on down to pittsburgh to this tattoo artist about my half sleeve i wanna do..........

but infact, thats the first ive heard of the ralley. i kinda stopped doing poker runs. it seems anymore that the poker runs in our area are just disorganized drunk fests. not to mention, with racing, that takes up enough time as it is, just to throw in another event that ill have to wash and maintain the quad is hard for me to squeeze the time.

my 400's got a slight smoke it it now on decel...im not sure if its valve seals, or if its rings......either way, after the mountaineer gncc in two weeks, i have a pile of parts in my bedroom (11:1 85mm wiseco, stage 2 hot cam, KW valve spring kit, KW valves, 2002 crf450 timing chain, gaskets) waiting to be installed...should rip afterwards

HondaRacing83
06-04-2013, 12:58 PM
On pennswoods theres a brand new 11:1 89mm 440 piston and sleeve all wiseco for $200 obo in titusville, worth picking up? and yeah i feel ya there really isnt around here the closest i think is in clintonville the rest are in ohio. Just realized the schools wifi im picking up on my phone doesnt block this site, sweet!

ben300
06-04-2013, 01:46 PM
On pennswoods theres a brand new 11:1 89mm 440 piston and sleeve all wiseco for $200 obo in titusville, worth picking up? and yeah i feel ya there really isnt around here the closest i think is in clintonville the rest are in ohio. Just realized the schools wifi im picking up on my phone doesnt block this site, sweet!

hard to say if its a good deal...is it new? used? if it was used, id stay away...honestly, IMO, id stay away froma 440 period, especially a high comp to many variables when it come to cooling. plus if you blow it up, you need a new sleeve.

if you like the AWRCS facebook page, steve stiller seems to have quite a few saturday/sunday weekend rides at the scrub gras orv park (boyers) for guys to go and practice and ride and hang out. its basically just a free ride. dudes even take their off road jeeps and stuff.

HondaRacing83
06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes its brand new and I know if i ever did a rebuild i wanted it to be a 426 but if its cheap what the hell. i liked the page ill have to look into it, my doesnt really go on rides anymore unless he can ride around on his gator and drink beer though haha. sometimes he'll take his grizzly out though

Honda.rider5871
06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Coming from someone that has both, unless your balls to the wall all the time id stick with the 400, build the motor ( 407, 11:1 piston, hotcams, P&P, 450 carb), send your peps and rear shock to get built for you along with the gtt xc link. It will rip after all of that. If your stuck on a 450 id go for a new efi yfz, Ive always been a Honda person but when it comes to 450s all their reliability goes out the window, also they are just like the 400ex with old outdated technology.

CJM
06-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I sold the 400 that I built for an 04 450. STOCK the 450 made more power imho. The 400 was no slouch and was quite built, but it just didnt have the power the 450. I will say the 400 is stone dead reliable, you pretty much cant kill one. 450 is a little more work to maintain but the power is much better.

If you like the way a 400ex rides with the powerband and handling then the 04-05 450 might be for you. They handle very similar and have the same good torque, the 06+ 450 is more like a dirtbike-high revving-still good power tho.

2001400exrida
06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I sold the 400 that I built for an 04 450. STOCK the 450 made more power imho. The 400 was no slouch and was quite built, but it just didnt have the power the 450. I will say the 400 is stone dead reliable, you pretty much cant kill one. 450 is a little more work to maintain but the power is much better.

If you like the way a 400ex rides with the powerband and handling then the 04-05 450 might be for you. They handle very similar and have the same good torque, the 06+ 450 is more like a dirtbike-high revving-still good power tho.

It doesn't take much to beat a stock 04/05 450. They are dogs and a 400ex opened up can easily hang. Figure a built 400ex can get around 38-40hp, a stock 04/05 450 is like 36-38hp. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that your 450 made more power, but your 400 must not have been built much.

THat being said, once you open a gen 1 450 up, you'll get much more power than a 400ex can.

Also, the 04/05' 450's or any year 450 for that matter does not have near the torque that a 400ex has. The 400ex can crawl without the clutch needing to be engaged and can rip a wheelie like it's oging out of style. the 450 revs differently and does not have that low grunt like a 400 does. The 06+ does not rev any higher than a 04/05 450, unless you do the green wire mod.

also, the 450 takes no more work to maintain than a 400ex, the only addition is the coolant. BUt the 450's in my opinion can hold rings longer. My 400's constantly need rings or valve seals where as my 450 has never smoked and It had 400 hours before i rebuilt it. The reason the 400 requires more maintenance in my opinion is because it's air cooled so it runs hotter, thus meaning you can't go as long on rings or valve seals.

just my thoughts.

HondaRacing83
06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
I ride woods anyways i can hang with 450s all day and beat them in every which way shape and form simply because im a better rider than most of my buddys that have 450s until we hit a field and they can open up and im stuck in the dust

CJM
06-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Ryan, do me a favor and please shut up. Why is it whatever i post you seriously follow me from forum to forum. Your already banned from two 450 forums and one yfz forum I know of. Theres gotta be a reason why, dont you think?

400 even worked is slow, it doesnt have the topend the 450 has period.

HondaRacing83
06-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Ryan, do me a favor and please shut up. Why is it whatever i post you seriously follow me from forum to forum. Your already banned from two 450 forums and one yfz forum I know of. Theres gotta be a reason why, dont you think?

400 even worked is slow, it doesnt have the topend the 450 has period.But it has wicked bottom end and thats important. until you hit open fields or roads like i said

CJM
06-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Ride an 04-05 450 for awhile, then you tell me the 400ex has a wicked bottom end.

HondaRacing83
06-23-2013, 09:53 AM
I still dont want the maintenance of a 450

CJM
06-23-2013, 11:02 AM
I still dont want the maintenance of a 450

Its seriously not as much as people claim. I bought mine used and abused and all the guy did was change the oil and adjust the valves. Id estimate it has over 250hrs on it and barely bunrt oil and the valves were finally outta spec and I needed to get new guides and +1 exhaust valves.

Do whatever you wish man, but I ive been down the 400 route and while they are a great quad they dont hold a candle to the 450.

2001400exrida
06-26-2013, 04:52 PM
CJM is a changed man now that he has a 450, but if you would have asked him this prior to him owner the 450 he would be saying the 400ex is the best quad on earth. Because it is. I have owned both, and still own a 400 and 2 450's. The 05 trx450 that i have still does not have the torque that the 400ex carries. Especially if you have mods on your 400, they have that low end thump that is not like the 450. You can creep 1mph on a 400ex and bang a wheelie with no clutch, but the gen 1 450's can't do that. Granted they still have more torque than any of the 450's, but they don't have the low end grunt that you feel on a 400ex. My 400ex will run 0-30mph with any 450 out there with equal mods. AFter 30mph i'll be getting smoked.

My 05 450 had over 400 hours on it and it still has that on the head. all i did was a new piston, no smoke and it runs like a champ.

chronicsmoke
06-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Its seriously not as much as people claim. I bought mine used and abused and all the guy did was change the oil and adjust the valves. Id estimate it has over 250hrs on it and barely bunrt oil and the valves were finally outta spec and I needed to get new guides and +1 exhaust valves.

Do whatever you wish man, but I ive been down the 400 route and while they are a great quad they dont hold a candle to the 450.
Can I stalk you too CJM?

Seems like you have a follower, like a lost puppy perhaps?

Scro
06-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I've had enough of the whining about certain members claiming they are being followed. Time after time, posts that are nothing but relevant to the topic at hand are being reported. If you have a problem with a certain persons' responses, ADD THEM TO YOUR IGNORE LIST. If you choose not to heed this advice and continue to complain, I will have no other choice than to fix the problem by showing you the door. This goes for everyone. It doesn't matter how many posts you have, or how long you've been here.