PDA

View Full Version : What setup for harescrambles?? $800 budget

GAZ-V-21
05-31-2013, 05:15 PM
I recently raced my first harescramble and motor wise i think im fine, the problem i had is my 400 beat the crap out of me so i want to do some things, first off my left wrist was killing me from squeezing the clutch lever next was my arms was so fatigued i could hardly even finish. I know diet and excersise will help but what are some other things i could do to bike on $800 Dollar budget. Please let me know brands and where i can purchase whatever items you suggest and maybe even prices if you know them.

CJM
05-31-2013, 05:38 PM
ccp stabilizer
redone 450r shocks or perhaps some KFX/YFZ shocks (you need to trim the eyelet to fit the frame but they are rather soft vs the honda 450 shocks)
06+ 450r swingarm (need entire setup)

forestbrian88
05-31-2013, 05:43 PM
CJM the 450R SwingArm bolts right in place?
and does it add more lenght? or is the geometry of its linkage better suspension?

ish416
06-01-2013, 06:53 AM
The 450R swingarm bolts right in place. You have to transfer all the parts (linkage, shock, bearing carrier, brake) from your EX swinger into the 450R swingarm. It is about 1.5" longer than the stock EX swingarm. The only things that you will need are a longer chain and chain slider for a 450R. Like I said, everything else will transfer over without issues.

It basically adds more stability to the quad and helps to keep the front end down.

KKiowaTJ
06-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Get an AOF EZ pull clutch lever, Might help as the day gets longer and you can adjust it to suit. Different set of bars could help. Drop a pound or two of pressure in your tires to absorb more, But you will have to play with #'s so you don't roll a bead.

Sounds like and you mentioned you were gripping for dear life and trying to pinch the bars shut, Let the machine do the work and grip just enough. Use your body weight to transfer and stay loose. The 450r swinger sounds like a good swap and worth while.

Good luck either way, The more seat time and trail time you get the better off as well.

Stickman400
06-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Everything everyone is saying is good. I will mention the 400 link on the 450 swinger isn't a good idea. The '06+ 450 have a different shock geometry from the '04-'05s and your suspension won't react like it should. The '04-'05s have the same geometry as the 400, so if you have your rear shock setup for you with the 400 link it won't change when you install it with an '04-'05 link. Also when dropping tire pressure don't go too low or you can also bend rims from taking hard impacts. I wouldn't go below 3 pounds in any tire, that being said I run about 3.5 to 4.5 in mine. Plenty of give so your tire can form to the terrain, grip and take some of impact but still enough to not roll a bead or flatten on a hard impact.

GAZ-V-21
06-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully ill get to ride simetime but weather here has everything flooded been flooded for over a month it sucks. Went to brimstone in tennesse last week just to ride. 550 miles from here to tennesse just to ride lol